Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

The path not taken.

+4
Banks of the Croal
Cajunboy
wanderlust
boltonbonce
8 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1The path not taken. Empty The path not taken. Sun 13 Dec - 10:13

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Do you regret any life choices? Opportunities that came your way but you decided against.
Could your life have been very different had you taken that fork in the road?
As a 16 year old our family doctor offered me the opportunity to go across to Cork to work on his family farm, and, tempted as I was, missing out on Wanderers games and the comforts of friends and family swayed my choice.
I often wonder how my life would have been different had I gone. 
I've had a few fork in the road choices to make, but I suppose wondering what might have been is ultimately pointless.
Did you miss out on a life changing opportunity?

2The path not taken. Empty Re: The path not taken. Sun 13 Dec - 14:38

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Lots - but there's no knowing another life so there's no point in regretting life decisions. I've had a great life, not without troubles but that's par for the course isn't it? First big one for me was that l most joined the RAF instead of going to Uni and that would have taken me in a completely different direction.
No regrets though.

3The path not taken. Empty Re: The path not taken. Sun 13 Dec - 15:59

Cajunboy

Cajunboy
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

“It is easy to mourn the lives we aren't living. Easy to wish we'd developed other other talents, said yes to different offers. Easy to wish we'd worked harder, loved better, handled our finances more astutely, been more popular, stayed in the band, gone to Australia, said yes to the coffee or done more bloody yoga.
It takes no effort to miss the friends we didn't make and the work we didn't do the people we didn't do and the people we didn't marry and the children we didn't have. It is not difficult to see yourself through the lens of other people, and to wish you were all the different kaleidoscopic versions of you they wanted you to be. It is easy to regret, and keep regretting, ad infinitum, until our time runs out.
But it is not lives we regret not living that are the real problem. It is the regret itself. It's the regret that makes us shrivel and wither and feel like our own and other people's worst enemy.
We can't tell if any of those other versions would of been better or worse. Those lives are happening, it is true, but you are happening as well, and that is the happening we have to focus on.”

A quote from THE MIDNIGHT LIBRARY by Matt Haig.

4The path not taken. Empty Re: The path not taken. Sun 13 Dec - 17:02

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

My dad took me to my first game at Burnden Park in 1959. He regretted it for the rest of his life. Very Happy

5The path not taken. Empty Re: The path not taken. Sun 13 Dec - 20:43

Banks of the Croal

Banks of the Croal
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Cajunboy wrote:“It is easy to mourn the lives we aren't living. Easy to wish we'd developed other other talents, said yes to different offers. Easy to wish we'd worked harder, loved better, handled our finances more astutely, been more popular, stayed in the band, gone to Australia, said yes to the coffee or done more bloody yoga.
It takes no effort to miss the friends we didn't make and the work we didn't do the people we didn't do and the people we didn't marry and the children we didn't have. It is not difficult to see yourself through the lens of other people, and to wish you were all the different kaleidoscopic versions of you they wanted you to be. It is easy to regret, and keep regretting, ad infinitum, until our time runs out.
But it is not lives we regret not living that are the real problem. It is the regret itself. It's the regret that makes us shrivel and wither and feel like our own and other people's worst enemy.
We can't tell if any of those other versions would of been better or worse. Those lives are happening, it is true, but you are happening as well, and that is the happening we have to focus on.”

A quote from THE MIDNIGHT LIBRARY by Matt Haig.
 Sounds about reet to me Cajun, bonce the same year i went to my first match at Burnden but not with my dad he didn't seem that keen on football.

6The path not taken. Empty Re: The path not taken. Sun 13 Dec - 23:21

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Banks of the Croal wrote:
 Sounds about reet to me Cajun, bonce the same year i went to my first match at Burnden but not with my dad he didn't seem that keen on football.
My dad was more into rugby, but took me to Burnden as a treat. I cried at half time and begged to go home.

Nothing much has changed.

7The path not taken. Empty Re: The path not taken. Mon 14 Dec - 9:06

Ten Bobsworth

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

boltonbonce wrote:
My dad was more into rugby, but took me to Burnden as a treat. I cried at half time and begged to go home.

Nothing much has changed.
Born too late, Boncey, or is it a coincidence that we've won nowt since you started going?

This was a hit in 1958.

8The path not taken. Empty Re: The path not taken. Mon 14 Dec - 23:20

okocha

okocha
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

The Road Not Taken, by Robert Frost

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

9The path not taken. Empty Re: The path not taken. Tue 15 Dec - 16:54

Cajunboy

Cajunboy
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

“I can never read all the books I want; I can never be all the people I want and live all the lives I want. I can never train myself in all the skills I want. And why do I want? I want to live and feel all the shades, tones and variations of mental and physical experience possible in my life. And I am horribly limited.”

Sylvia Plath

10The path not taken. Empty Re: The path not taken. Wed 16 Dec - 11:53

Ten Bobsworth

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Cajunboy wrote:“I can never read all the books I want; I can never be all the people I want and live all the lives I want. I can never train myself in all the skills I want. And why do I want? I want to live and feel all the shades, tones and variations of mental and physical experience possible in my life. And I am horribly limited.”

Sylvia Plath
Sylvia Plath eh? Not Saint Marcus of Rashford? What a huge disappointment! 

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/nov/17/marcus-rashford-launches-book-club-so-every-child-can-experience-escapism

11The path not taken. Empty Re: The path not taken. Wed 16 Dec - 13:25

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Ten Bobsworth wrote:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/nov/17/marcus-rashford-launches-book-club-so-every-child-can-experience-escapism
Anyone who can encourage kids to discover the joys of reading is fine with me. I'll cut him some slack.

12The path not taken. Empty Re: The path not taken. Wed 16 Dec - 13:45

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Ten Bobsworth wrote:

Bitter little man aren't you?  Rolling Eyes

13The path not taken. Empty Re: The path not taken. Wed 16 Dec - 14:17

Ten Bobsworth

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Norpig wrote:
Bitter little man aren't you?  Rolling Eyes
Would I be right in thinking that, to your mind, gormless and gullible equals good and grand?

14The path not taken. Empty Re: The path not taken. Wed 16 Dec - 14:36

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Gentlemen, please, you're not at home. (My favourite line from Hitchcock's The 39 Steps).

15The path not taken. Empty Re: The path not taken. Wed 16 Dec - 14:59

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Nine bob should be in a home, i know that for definite.

16The path not taken. Empty Re: The path not taken. Wed 16 Dec - 15:02

Ten Bobsworth

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

boltonbonce wrote:
Anyone who can encourage kids to discover the joys of reading is fine with me. I'll cut him some slack.
You wouldn't be turning a blind eye, would you Boncey? Isn't Rashford a serial diver (aka cheat) who, together with his PR machine, is exploiting a gullible public into believing he's some kind of righteous, high-principled national treasure?

Has anyone ever asked him which books he's actually read or why none of the Manchester Food Banks seem to have mentioned his name at all until his new PR machine swung into action earlier this year?

17The path not taken. Empty Re: The path not taken. Wed 16 Dec - 15:09

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Why do you have to see the worst in everyone nine bob? He's a young man from a poor background who has a talent and is using his fame and profile for very good causes.

I don't care that he earns a fortune, if i was as good a footballer as him then i would want the same. He looks after his family and to me is a good role model to kids.

18The path not taken. Empty Re: The path not taken. Wed 16 Dec - 15:19

Ten Bobsworth

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Norpig wrote:Why do you have to see the worst in everyone nine bob? He's a young man from a poor background who has a talent and is using his fame and profile for very good causes.

I don't care that he earns a fortune, if i was as good a footballer as him then i would want the same. He looks after his family and to me is a good role model to kids.
I've never revered cheats in any sport but I have found it to be a reliable indicator of character and trustworthiness. The same may also be said of those who have no problem with cheating.

19The path not taken. Empty Re: The path not taken. Wed 16 Dec - 15:57

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Ten Bobsworth wrote:
I've never revered cheats in any sport but I have found it to be a reliable indicator of character and trustworthiness. The same may also be said of those who have no problem with cheating.

20The path not taken. Empty Re: The path not taken. Wed 16 Dec - 22:20

Ten Bobsworth

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

boltonbonce wrote:
Is cheating cricket, Boncey? What about cycling, golf, athletics, tennis, horse racing, footie or any other sports? Should we really admire the ability of cheats and put them on a pedestal and call  them role models? Each to their own but count me out.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum