Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ian Evatt expects Bolton's fringe players to go out and play games

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Ian Evatt says he will do his upmost to find players football elsewhere if they are not in his thinking post-January, rather than leave them to sit on the sidelines.

The Wanderers boss is limited to 23 registered players and in theory could remove names from the list to allow for new signings.

That would see some squad members remaining at the club for the second half of the campaign but unable to play.

It’s a scenario Evatt admits is possible, but one he is keen to avoid having already seen summer signing Liam Gordon head back to Dagenham and Redbridge on loan after his game-time was limited.

“That could be the case – but I don’t think we’ll allow that to happen,” the Bolton boss said. “I think we’ll make it very clear that if players need games they will have to go out on loan.

“We have space in the salary cap anyway because of the Under-21s not counting towards it, so there’s space for the business we want to do.

“But the players who are not going to be in the 18 so often, I think the best thing is to go out and play some football.

“It’s difficult when you are a footballer who trains Monday to Friday not having anything on a Saturday.

“It’s all about matches and games and if you are not playing it can be difficult to deal with so I hope we’ll have people going out and people coming in to take their place.”

The half-term report is mixed when it comes to Wanderers’ 22 summer signings. And Evatt believes those who do move on this month cannot complain about not having had a chance to make their mark for his new-look Wanderers.

“That’s the nature of the beast with the salary cap and the squad limitations – but that’s football,” he said.

“I’d like to think that most people have had more than enough of an opportunity to get into my first-team plans, especially with the way we’ve had injuries. There will be outgoings – and the players won’t be surprised to hear me say that.

“The players have to fight to be at this football club and if you have signed a contract it doesn’t mean you are protected and here forever, you have to be producing the goods, and if you are not then we’ll bring in someone who we think can.”

With Wanderers closing in on a deal for out of contract former Sheffield Wednesday man Kieran Lee, Evatt believes the Covid-19 pandemic and the financial implications of it mean the career of professional in the EFL has never been more precarious.

“If you look at the players who still haven’t got clubs and contracts, there are some really talented players out there,” he added.

“It’s a message to anyone, you can’t rest on your laurels.

“The way the pandemic has brought financial struggle on the whole of football, things are tight, so you need to make sure you are producing the goods.”

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum