Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Looking Back: Aerial photo of Burnden Park and Bolton's other 'lost' stadium

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Looking Back: Aerial photo of Burnden Park and Bolton's other 'lost' stadium 12718222

Two of Bolton’s lost sporting grounds are recorded for posterity in this aerial photograph taken in 1981.

Dominating the picture is Burnden Park, home to Bolton Wanderers until 1997.

To the left of the football ground you can see the distinctive oval shape of the Raikes Park greyhound stadium which hosted races for almost 70 years before it too was closed and demolished.

The last race meeting there was in December 1996. The dual carriageway of St Peter’s Way runs diagonally across the photo and Manchester Road runs in front of the football ground and car park

Source

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Did anyone ever go to the dog racing?

My brother did a bit but it never interested me.

I did go once for a meal at Wimbledon when the racing was on, and it was different and quite good but as I seldom bet it was more about an occasion rather than something I would rush to do again.

I know we have a few punters on here, so does anyone go to, or bet on, the dogs?

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I never went to the one in Bolton but have been a couple of times to Belle Vue which has now closed as well i think?

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Sluffy wrote:Did anyone ever go to the dog racing?

My brother did a bit but it never interested me.

I did go once for a meal at Wimbledon when the racing was on, and it was different and quite good but as I seldom bet it was more about an occasion rather than something I would rush to do again.

I know we have a few punters on here, so does anyone go to, or bet on, the dogs?
Never really bothered with dog racing, due mainly to the appalling treatment many of the dogs have to suffer. When they can no longer race, they're a burden, and, although many are homed, I know from a friend in the business, that a number of them end up dying under the heavy end of a shovel. Vets cost money.
In passing, wasn't there a track in Westhoughton?

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

boltonbonce wrote:
Never really bothered with dog racing, due mainly to the appalling treatment many of the dogs have to suffer. When they can no longer race, they're a burden, and, although many are homed, I know from a friend in the business, that a number of them end up dying under the heavy end of a shovel. Vets cost money.
In passing, wasn't there a track in Westhoughton?
I'd try googling 'Bolton dogs' but I already know all about Nat.

carl baxter

Mario Jardel
Mario Jardel

Yes….there was a greyhound track at westhoughton.
At one stage it was owned by a friend of mine called
Derek Walsh who had a commercial vehicle scrapyard in Bolton now sadly deceased.

http://www.cheshirechristmastrees.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum