Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bolton 2-0 Ipswich

+9
wessy
terenceanne
BoltonTillIDie
Whitesince63
karlypants
Bolton Nuts
Natasha Whittam
Norpig
wanderlust
13 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

1Bolton 2-0 Ipswich Empty Bolton 2-0 Ipswich Thu Jan 13 2022, 01:08

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Looks like we may get a hiding on Saturday.

Earlier in the season Ipswich were dire when we spanked them at their place but since then we've gone backwards and they've improved beyond recognition.

In their last four games they had a very tough schedule including 3 games against top 4 teams as they drew away at Wigan, drew at home with Sunderland, beat Wycombe at home and then thumped Gillingham 4 nil away.

Can't see anything but a loss for us on Saturday - unless Evatt stops moaning at the players and starts tweaking the system.

And to have any chance we have to score first - I'll be pissed off if Ipswich get the first goal and then sit back waiting to pick us off and implode as so many teams have done to us this season.

2Bolton 2-0 Ipswich Empty Re: Bolton 2-0 Ipswich Thu Jan 13 2022, 07:58

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Can't see anything other than a defeat either Lusty, we have no confidence, very little goal threat and always concede early and first.

Can't wait to go the game  Very Happy

Last edited by Norpig on Thu Jan 13 2022, 08:27; edited 1 time in total

3Bolton 2-0 Ipswich Empty Re: Bolton 2-0 Ipswich Thu Jan 13 2022, 08:12

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I can't see where the next point is coming from, an early goal for Ipswich will almost certainly see them score three or four without reply.

I'm hoping for a change in tactics, but I know it's not going to happen as clearly possession is more important than goals.

4Bolton 2-0 Ipswich Empty Re: Bolton 2-0 Ipswich Thu Jan 13 2022, 11:38

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:I can't see where the next point is coming from, an early goal for Ipswich will almost certainly see them score three or four without reply.

I'm hoping for a change in tactics, but I know it's not going to happen as clearly possession is more important than goals.

The reason why teams play out from the back is to draw the opposition forward and hopefully create spaces between their lines and use the extra man.

So far so good - but in our case, why does it take so long to exploit the space created? By the time we get the ball to the other end of the pitch the opposition have had enough time for a brew before jogging back into shape.

If Evatt insists on us playing out from the back he also has to start insisting we move it forward between the lines very quickly otherwise it's a pointless and risky exercise.

5Bolton 2-0 Ipswich Empty Re: Bolton 2-0 Ipswich Thu Jan 13 2022, 13:19

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Didn't Evatt say we play it around at the back to tire out the opposition? Not really working well is it Ian?

6Bolton 2-0 Ipswich Empty Re: Bolton 2-0 Ipswich Fri Jan 14 2022, 22:29

Bolton Nuts

Admin

I see things a little differently.
People are saying we are poor at the moment, and I would agree. But I only think we are poor now that WE HAVE changed the system to suit the cry babies who said it wasn't working before.

I maintain that whilst we were not always getting the result a few matches ago, we were dazzling to watch and only a few bits of bad luck (hitting post, losing to deflected goals, getting multiple injuries) from having many more points.
I think that we have gone down hill since we started playing far more long ball, keeping less possession and trying to get forward quicker, and keep it tighter at the back. Can you not see that change that has taken place for about 4 or more matches now?

Easy examples. At kick off, early in the season, we would make 5, 10, 15 passes, even going back to the keeper before the other team would even have a chance of trying to get the ball. Now, every kick off is 2 passes followed by a long ball.
Defensively, our full backs should never, ever simply clear the ball or kick out for a throw. Safety first was not in our vocabulary. We would play out, and again, even passing between the defenders and the keeper. Now, when under pressure, we generally clear it.
Keeper now takes long goal kicks and drop kicks.
We take less quick free kicks.
We cross free kicks long into the box, even if its back near half way, this never happened before.
We cross earlier when down the wing, with less intricate play. Unfortunately this change coincides with our worst run of results.

https://boltonnuts.forumotion.co.uk

7Bolton 2-0 Ipswich Empty Re: Bolton 2-0 Ipswich Sat Jan 15 2022, 10:15

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

8Bolton 2-0 Ipswich Empty Re: Bolton 2-0 Ipswich Sat Jan 15 2022, 11:36

Whitesince63

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Biggie wrote:I see things a little differently.
People are saying we are poor at the moment, and I would agree. But I only think we are poor now that WE HAVE changed the system to suit the cry babies who said it wasn't working before.

I maintain that whilst we were not always getting the result  a few matches ago, we were dazzling to watch and only a few bits of bad luck (hitting post, losing to deflected goals, getting multiple injuries) from having many more points.
I think that we have gone down hill since we started playing far more long ball, keeping less possession and trying to get forward quicker, and keep it tighter at the back. Can you not see that change that has taken place for about 4 or more matches now?

Easy examples. At kick off, early in the season, we would make 5, 10, 15 passes, even going back to the keeper before the other team would even have a chance of trying to get the ball. Now, every kick off is 2 passes followed by a long ball.
Defensively, our full backs should never, ever simply clear the ball or kick out for a throw. Safety first was not in our vocabulary. We would play out, and again, even passing between the defenders and the keeper. Now, when under pressure, we generally clear it.
Keeper now takes long goal kicks and drop kicks.
We take less quick free kicks.
We cross free kicks long into the box, even if its back near half way, this never happened before.
We cross earlier when down the wing, with less intricate play. Unfortunately this change coincides with our worst run of results.

I agree to a point with that Biggie but I don’t think it’s intentional, more because the players are lacking confidence and have been caught so many times with the ball, or a misplaced pass. It was noticeable particularly with Dixon the other night that he constantly lumped the ball forward rather than risk what happened to him when he lost us the Hartlepool game. The balls like a hot potato at the moment, the players are so devoid of confidence.

I do agree though that earlier in the season when we kept the ball better at the back, we were quicker moving it forward but to do that you have to have forwards or midfield players making runs and they’ve stopped doing that. Injuries haven’t helped but hopefully if we can get Dion fit he will make those runs and Fossey looks excellent in front of Jones, which may take pressure off Dapo and give him more freedom. Jones coming back is to me the biggest bonus of all, we’ve severely missed him but with all that I still can’t see us getting anything today so it’s 0-2 to Ipswich I’m afraid though I do so hope to be wrong.

9Bolton 2-0 Ipswich Empty Re: Bolton 2-0 Ipswich Sat Jan 15 2022, 14:11

Bolton Nuts

Admin

I'll stick my neck out. 
Bolton 2 Ipswich 1.

The season pivots.

I get your point whitesince63, to an extent. However it's not just confidence. And I say that because you can see that it's tactical. From the positioning of players when we regain possession. To the movement of forward players when we have it at the back. They have clearly already planned what to do. And at the moment, in a nutshell, that plan is more based on long balls and clearing danger.

Easy examples to look out for. 
The direction both full backs move when the keeper gets the ball at his feet. 
The forward movement of the highest two players up the pitch when a defender wins possession or looks to be in danger. 
The touchline stack of players when we have a defensive throw in. 
Its all geared a certain way and is meticulously planned. 
Far less than you think is based on a players confidence in this day and age. They drill every scenario and rehearse it daily.

10Bolton 2-0 Ipswich Empty Re: Bolton 2-0 Ipswich Sat Jan 15 2022, 14:20

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

11Bolton 2-0 Ipswich Empty Re: Bolton 2-0 Ipswich Sat Jan 15 2022, 14:39

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

A chance to see the new boys - only hope they can gel together.

12Bolton 2-0 Ipswich Empty Re: Bolton 2-0 Ipswich Sat Jan 15 2022, 14:50

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Radio Nuts is now live!

13Bolton 2-0 Ipswich Empty Re: Bolton 2-0 Ipswich Sat Jan 15 2022, 15:50

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Quite enjoyable first half, we look like we could get some points from this game.  New signings doing well.

14Bolton 2-0 Ipswich Empty Re: Bolton 2-0 Ipswich Sat Jan 15 2022, 16:04

Whitesince63

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Biggie wrote:I'll stick my neck out. 
Bolton 2 Ipswich 1.

The season pivots.

I get your point whitesince63, to an extent. However it's not just confidence. And I say that because you can see that it's tactical. From the positioning of players when we regain possession. To the movement of forward players when we have it at the back. They have clearly already planned what to do. And at the moment, in a nutshell, that plan is more based on long balls and clearing danger.

Easy examples to look out for. 
The direction both full backs move when the keeper gets the ball at his feet. 
The forward movement of the highest two players up the pitch when a defender wins possession or looks to be in danger. 
The touchline stack of players when we have a defensive throw in. 
Its all geared a certain way and is meticulously planned. 
Far less than you think is based on a players confidence in this day and age. They drill every scenario and rehearse it daily.
You’re obviously more aware than me Biggie, good summary of set ups there. I definitely think we need to be quicker getting the ball forward but it certainly doesn’t suit us to just lump it forward. Let’s hope the new signings gel and we can make this a season turning point?

15Bolton 2-0 Ipswich Empty Re: Bolton 2-0 Ipswich Sat Jan 15 2022, 16:42

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

We have actually scored a goal! cheers

Bolton 1-0

16Bolton 2-0 Ipswich Empty Re: Bolton 2-0 Ipswich Sat Jan 15 2022, 16:43

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Now 2-0!

Lee and Afolayan with the goals!

17Bolton 2-0 Ipswich Empty Re: Bolton 2-0 Ipswich Sat Jan 15 2022, 16:47

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

18Bolton 2-0 Ipswich Empty Re: Bolton 2-0 Ipswich Sat Jan 15 2022, 16:47

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

19Bolton 2-0 Ipswich Empty Re: Bolton 2-0 Ipswich Sat Jan 15 2022, 17:07

Bolton Nuts

Admin

Was I the only person predicting the win?

20Bolton 2-0 Ipswich Empty Re: Bolton 2-0 Ipswich Sat Jan 15 2022, 17:10

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Biggie wrote:Was I the only person predicting the win?

Probably Very Happy

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum