Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

MJ set to return against Lincoln City

+2
wessy
karlypants
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1MJ set to return against Lincoln City Empty MJ set to return against Lincoln City Tue Feb 22 2022, 09:23

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

MJ set to return against Lincoln City 13227439

Wanderers will bring midfield insurance policy MJ Williams back into the side for tonight’s must win game against Lincoln City.

The ball-winner was dropped to the bench against Wimbledon, but Ian Evatt has confirmed he will return to the starting 11 as his team look to claw back more ground on the top six.

Williams had been virtually ever-present for the Whites, either side of a shoulder injury, and Evatt expects him to be fired up for a game he feels will be closely contested.

“MJ completely understood our decision on Saturday and he agreed with it,” he told The Bolton News. “It has happened to everyone in the squad at one stage.

“We’ve left out Dion (Charles), we’ve left out Dapo (Afolayan), we have left out Gethin (Jones). The one we haven’t left out is Rico (Santos) because no-one else can give us what he gives us. But other than that, we have had to share it around because it is so difficult to keep going every time with the same 11.

“We are always working a game ahead, myself and Judah (Davies), and that was partly the reason that MJ was rested on Saturday because we will need his defensive responsibility against Lincoln.

“They are an expansive team but they have changed the way they press a little bit. Earlier on in the season they were more submissive, went into a mid-block and enabled you to build, now it is more or less a man-to-man press. We will have to win individual duels and if we play with two up front against a back four, we will have to make sure we affect their centre-backs. The way our forwards are playing at the moment, that is exactly what they are doing.”

Lincoln had their game on Saturday at Fleetwood postponed because of the weather but Evatt is unsure whether that will give his opponents an edge going into tonight’s game.

He is confident, however, that the UniBol playing surface is currently being used to his own advantage.

“Obviously they will be fresh, but sometimes that can work against you,” he said. “We are on a good roll at the minute and take Burton out of the equation, we have found some good form and momentum and want to continue that.

“We feel this is a really difficult place to come to at the moment. As I said, the ground staff have done an unbelievable job with the pitch - I think it’s the best in the league. It helps us because of the way we play and it’s huge – it’s almost an extra player for us with how important it is.

“So full credit to the ground staff and hopefully we can go and put on another exciting, entertaining performance and win the game.”

Source

wessy

wessy
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Who do you drop, answers on a postcard !!!!

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

wessy wrote:Who do you drop, answers on a postcard !!!!

Dapo would be my thinking.

If MJ starts I would pair him with Morley and put Dempsey in the number 10 position, which leaves no place for Dapo.

terenceanne

terenceanne
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

I would not put MJ back in personally. First of all, there is no need for Lincoln - second, if resting was required then skip tonight also. Bring him in as a sub maybe - I'm ok with that. I thought Saturday was our best 11 anyhow.

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

It does seem a bit harsh but i agree with TA on this, it will be a similar game as Saturday so go with the same team for me.

Whitesince63

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

I’m afraid IE thinks keep tinkering is going to keep everybody happy, which is an impossible thing to do if you have a strong squad. Saturday was arguably our best performance of the season for me and leaving anybody out after that seems unfair. Why not play the same team, get a couple up and then make the change? I wouldn’t want to see Dapo dropped because he’s revelling in the ten spot at the moment and I certainly don’t want to see Jones rested either. Having said that, we need an eye on MK on Saturday and for that we do need our best side, so perhaps that’s what’s affecting Evatt’s thinking?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum