Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Alex Baptiste completes Waterford switch

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Alex Baptiste completes Waterford switch 14819613

Former Wanderers defender Alex Baptiste has completed a move to Irish club Waterford.

The 36-year-old had been a free agent since leaving the Whites over the summer after his contract expired.

Baptiste was offered a player-coaching role at the time, which he politely turned down to extend his playing career.

Speaking in June, he told The Bolton News: “To be honest, coaching is not something I want to do. I’ve felt that way for a long time, probably my whole thirties.

“People have preferences and choices and I am sure I could do it – one million per cent – but it is just not what I choose to do right now.

“I am focused on giving it at least one more season because I know I can still do a job.”

The defender made more than 100 appearances during two spells with Wanderers and played an important role in the League Two promotion season in 2020/21 alongside Ricardo Santos.

He also played with Ian Evatt in the Premier League at Blackpool, as well as having spells with Blackburn and QPR among others.

Waterford chairman Andy Pilley said: “We are delighted to make Alex the first signing of the new era at Waterford FC.

“We have a very young and exciting side and feel with the addition of experience, we can compete towards the end of the season with the play-offs in mind.

“Alex is a top professional who’s played most of his career in the top two leagues in England. To be able to persuade him to join Waterford is a real signal of intent for us all.”

Waterford are currently third in the League of Ireland First Division, having won 15 of their 25 matches so far.

Baptiste will wear the number five shirt and is set to join up with his new team-mates this week, subject to international clearance.

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum