Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

The chosen one: Signs are good in Wanderers' B team experiment, says Evatt

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

The chosen one: Signs are good in Wanderers' B team experiment, says Evatt 16165743

Wanderers are on the lookout for one breakout star to make the whole B Team experiment pay off.

Ian Evatt is upbeat about the first crop of players recruited in the summer, who have won three of their six Central League fixtures to top the table at the halfway stage.

Two players from Matt Craddock’s group have made first team appearances this season – former Wolves striker Conor Carty scoring on his debut against Tranmere Rovers in the Papa Johns Trophy, and ex-Norwich City midfielder Nelson Khumbeni featuring against Salford City in the League Cup.

Carty has since been loaned out for more experience at National League Oldham Athletic and Evatt has been impressed with what he has seen thus far from a group which was assembled in double quick time over the summer.

“I think probably him (Conor Carty) and Nelson (Khumbeni) in particular are the two that have done really, really well,” he said.

“What we wanted was to have that bridged gap plugged and I think the B Team has done that. The proof will come the end of the season, or when we develop one into a first team player, because that’s what we want to do.

“The team isn’t there just to give these players somewhere to play. It’s there to try and get somebody into the first team - and it only takes one really. It is only one that you need to really catch fire and become a huge asset for the football club and that takes care of everything else.

“That’s what we’re trying to do. Time will tell whether we’ve got it right or not, it’s very early days though. I think next season, the B team will be in a much better place. This season was slightly rushed, however I do believe that we did some good business.”

Although the B Team has progressed well with a mixture of friendlies and league games, the club has looked to push some of their players out to gain more experience of senior football.

Homegrown talents like Arran Pettifer and Finlay Lockett have been loaned out to Atherton Colls, Adam Senior to Telford and ex-Manchester United winger Connor Stanley has had a successful spell with Bamber Bridge.

The work experience loans also allow the players to continue working with Wanderers during the week, which Evatt says is vital for their development.

“The whole point of the B Team is for development purposes,” he said. “The good thing about having someone local like Atherton Colls for them to go out and play adult football is that we can still keep them in-house day-to-day and training with us, and also be involved in the friendlies for us, which is important.

“I do see some development with the B Team. I do think it is improving slowly, but it is progressive. Some players are doing better than others but that is just the nature of football, and there are one or two who are really taking the eye.

“We are always trying to develop the players as best as we can and we did feel the B Team was important – filling the gap between the first team and the under-18s.

“I think this season is proving that is the case. It is still very much a work in progress. It is our first season doing this, but I do see some positive signs.”

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum