Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Where did it go wrong in the PL for Bolton?

4 posters

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Mad Dog

Nicky Hunt
Nicky Hunt

It’s 11 years now since Agueeroooo day and Bolton were relegated from the PL. It is no surprise that since that day and without the riches that PL football brings that Bolton have tumbled down the leagues, went into administration and are where they are now. So many clubs who go down end up in the wilderness for decades to come. 
The key is to always stay in the PL and collect the huge sums of cash and eat at the top table. 
Big Sam did an amazing job with Bolton, to get Bolton to become an established top 10 side signing players like Anelka and Okocha was an amazing achievement. I always knew that when Big Sam left, Bolton would find it hard. But what did go wrong? Was it the managerial choices after Big Sam left? Sammy Lee, Gary Mugson (see what I did there?) and Owen Coyle in hindsight look really poor but were they really bad at that time? Coyle seemed to be quality at Burnley. But I felt he should have been sacked long before he was. 

Was it the transfer strategy of signing quality ageing players under Big Sam with little resale value which eventually caught up with the club not being able to replace them and then the signings brought in towards the end were not good enough? There were mistakes such as Elmander who cost over £8m in 2008 was hopeless and left for nothing 3 years after paying big money for him. N’gog and Sordell was useless too. But there were some good signings like Cahill, Holden, Mark Davies, Steinsson, Chung yong Lee, etc. 
Or was it simply not having the resources to compete in an ever improving and competitive league. I mean look at this season Leeds and Leicester are going down with real quality teams.  
It was a real shame Bolton messed it up and got relegated, could Bolton still be there today if they got things right? 

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Quick answer - when that idiot Coyle blew all our transfer money on Sordell, who I think it is fair to say was probably mentally ill at the time (which probably applied to Phil Gartside as well, who died not long after with a brain tumor), when it was blindingly obvious that we so desperately needed a midfield replacement for the badly crocked Stuart Holden.

Sordell may I remind you all managed to play just two substitute appearance from his January signing by Coyle to the end of the season in which we were relegated.

Longer answer - we couldn't compete over the longer term financially and high wages, and numerous bad buys had to catch up with us sooner or later.

We should not have been relegated that season - even with Coyle as the manager - if the moron had simply strengthened the depleted midfield in January - but he didn't!

Maybe we would have been relegated the following season perhaps, or the one after but Coyle prematurely took us down - then fecked us up in the Championship the following season until Eddie ORDERED Gartside to sack the useless plank.

Far, far too late for us though.

observer

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Sluffy wrote:Quick answer - when that idiot Coyle blew all our transfer money on Sordell, who I think it is fair to say was probably mentally ill at the time (which probably applied to Phil Gartside as well, who died not long after with a brain tumor), when it was blindingly obvious that we so desperately needed a midfield replacement for the badly crocked Stuart Holden.

Sordell may I remind you all managed to play just two substitute appearance from his January signing by Coyle to the end of the season in which we were relegated.

Longer answer - we couldn't compete over the longer term financially and high wages, and numerous bad buys had to catch up with us sooner or later.

We should not have been relegated that season - even with Coyle as the manager - if the moron had simply strengthened the depleted midfield in January - but he didn't!

Maybe we would have been relegated the following season perhaps, or the one after but Coyle prematurely took us down - then fecked us up in the Championship the following season until Eddie ORDERED Gartside to sack the useless plank.

Far, far too late for us though.
You speak the truth...  Sordell worst signing for the money ever... £3 million down the drain... 4 goals in 25 games or £750,000 per goal.  On the other hand
 Elmander played in 92 games with 18 goals... all for the mere price of £8.2 million or over £455,000 per goal.

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

The minute we hired Sammy Lee it was all over. Simple as that.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum