Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Dion Charles wins League One prize at North West Football Awards

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Dion Charles wins League One prize at North West Football Awards 17414469

Dion Charles was crowned League One Player of the Season at this year’s North West Football Awards.

Charles claimed the prize despite competition from Accrington’s Tommy Leigh and Fleetwood’s Brendan Wiredu.

The Northern Ireland international scored 23 goals in all competitions last term as the Whites achieved a top-six finish and beat Plymouth in the Papa Johns Trophy final at Wembley in front of nearly 80,000 supporters.

Charles was not able to receive the award in person as he prepares for Wanderers’ trip to Shrewsbury, but he did send in a video message for those in attendance in The Point at Emirates Old Trafford.

“Sorry I can’t be there tonight, I have got to prepare for an important game tomorrow. Last season was really good for me and the club,” he said.

“We got to the play-offs and got to Wembley in the Papa Johns Trophy, and I scored some important goals along the way. Thank you to everyone who voted for me, it means a lot.”

Wanderers were also named the best community club outside of the Premier League despite competition from Blackpool, Burnley, Preston, Wigan and Fylde.

Meanwhile, Fabrice Muamba presented his annual award for outstanding service to football medicine and performance to Alan Raw.

And former Bolton midfielder Josh Cullen won the Championship Player of the Season prize after helping Burnley clinch the title.

Here is a list of notable winners at the 2023 North West Football Awards

Rising Star: Adam Mayor, Morecambe
   Women’s Rising Star: Missy Bo Kearns, Liverpool
   National League Player of the Season: Josh Lundstram
   League Two Player of the Season: Elliot Watt, Salford
   League One Player of the Season: Dion Charles, Wanderers
   Championship Player of the Season: Josh Cullen, Burnley
   Premier League Player of the Season: Erling Haaland
   Women’s Player of the Season: Khadija Shaw, Man City
   Billy Seymour Impact Award: Mary Earps
   Community Clubs of the Season: Everton and Wanderers
   Unsung Hero: Ted Morris, Liverpool Disabled Supporters Association