Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

LOOKING BACK: Bolton sweet shop Betty's would go as part of redevelopment

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

This photo shows an area of Bolton town centre which ‘disappeared’ as part of major redevelopment in the 1960s.

LOOKING BACK: Bolton sweet shop Betty's would go as part of redevelopment 17609976

The town hall standing in the background gives you a clue as to the location. You are looking at Howell Croft North which had been earmarked as a clearance area for new retail development.

We wonder if any Looking Back readers remember Betty’s Sweet Store which you can see here on the corner of Howell’s Yard? Chances are it was hugely popular with youngsters, who doesn’t love a sweet shop?

Source

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Loved this place. Must have spent a fortune in here over the years. You could get almost anything.
LOOKING BACK: Bolton sweet shop Betty's would go as part of redevelopment 28110+043.96+XPP+Gregory+and+Porritt+s-1920w

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

boltonbonce wrote:Loved this place. Must have spent a fortune in here over the years. You could get almost anything.
LOOKING BACK: Bolton sweet shop Betty's would go as part of redevelopment 28110+043.96+XPP+Gregory+and+Porritt+s-1920w
Went there once for some slippers and was told they don’t sell them but was offered a lampshade instead.

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

wanderlust wrote:
Went there once for some slippers and was told they don’t sell them but was offered a lampshade instead.
I got my first angle lamp from there, plus a tin mug and a tin plate. I was going through a minimalist Maoist phase.
Still got the jacket.

LOOKING BACK: Bolton sweet shop Betty's would go as part of redevelopment Img_4611

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

boltonbonce wrote:
wanderlust wrote:
I got my first angle lamp from there, plus a tin mug and a tin plate. I was going through a minimalist Maoist phase.
Still got the jacket.

LOOKING BACK: Bolton sweet shop Betty's would go as part of redevelopment Img_4611

I can see you don’t wear it anymore with it being as creased as a testicle. Very Happy

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

karlypants wrote:

I can see you don’t wear it anymore with it being as creased as a testicle. Very Happy
Yes, I dug it out of a box of old Wanderers jackets. Found two tank tops as well!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum