Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Santos looking for reaction against Cambridge

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Santos looking for reaction against Cambridge 17805258

Ricardo Santos says the Wanderers squad are eager to “show what we are about” following a tough few days.

The skipper was sent off in the 4-1 loss at Blackpool after he was judged to have fouled Kyle Joseph in the box. However, that decision was overturned following an appeal and he was able to lead the team out at Wigan.

Santos admits the players are hurting after Tuesday night’s defeat at the DW Stadium but insists they cannot afford to dwell on what is already done.

“Saturday was disappointing, I think we performed well in spells but the goals we conceded were not like us. They were a bit too easy,” he said.

“Tuesday was disappointing as well, obviously another derby. I thought we started well and were comfortable in the game but couldn’t get that first goal.

“They had a lot of players back, sacrificed the ball and let us take control of the game. We can’t afford to dwell on it and we have to think about Saturday.”

The sending off came at a key moment in the contest at Bloomfield Road last weekend, and the 28-year-old admitted it was a bitter pill to swallow.

“I was happy that it was rescinded but at the same time, I think we were growing into the game before the red card and likely to score more,” the towering defender reflected.

“I think the red card and penalty changed the game, so I was disappointed at the time.”

Despite back-to-back defeats on the road, the Whites are only outside the top two on goal difference and there is still plenty of football to be played before the end of the season.

“I have just got to try and keep everyone positive,” Santos continued. “Everyone was really upset after the game on Tuesday, and so was I.

“But we are still in a good place and there are a lot of games to be played. We just need to keep believing.”

He added: “You are going to get pressure, we have not picked up the results we wanted to.

“But it is why we play football and I would rather be fighting to get promoted than be mid-table or fighting relegation.

“It is a good pressure and we need to take it on and show what we can do to fight for promotion.”

Saturday’s clash with Cambridge presents a chance to return to winning ways, although the skipper knows there are no easy fixtures in League One.

“It is a big game for us,” he stated. “We are at home and coming off two defeats, we need to win.

“That is the pressure we put on ourselves and I think if we start like we did against Wigan, we could blow them away.

“It is all on us and we just need to stick at it. The boys are ready to go on Saturday and show what we are about.”

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum