Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

TEAM NEWS: Mendes Gomes facing lengthy spell out of action

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

TEAM NEWS: Mendes Gomes facing lengthy spell out of action 17805025

Carlos Mendes Gomes faces a significant spell on the sidelines with a ruptured Achilles, Ian Evatt has confirmed.

The 25-year-old left the pitch on a stretcher against Wigan on Tuesday night after pulling up off the ball.

“Carlos has a ruptured Achilles tendon, which is a serious injury,” Evatt explained. “We are looking at six to nine months with him, it is awful news.

“I feel really sorry for Carlos, he is an incredible person and we were starting to see the best of him as a player as well.

“Again, football challenges and tests you in different ways and Carlos is going through that right now. We will support him as best we can.”

Mendes Gomes had a challenging start to his Bolton career due to injury and heading away for the Africa Cup of Nations, but he had started to show what he can bring to the team in recent weeks.

“It is tough to take and as I said, the last couple of months have been rough for us all,” Evatt continued.

“It shows you how cruel football can be at times. I am extremely disappointed for Carlos and we will support him all we can to get him the best outcome.

“It is going to be a long road for him but this club is magnificent in its support of its players. We will do all we can to help him with his recovery.”

The Bolton also shared an update on Dion Charles, who hasn’t featured since picking up an MCL injury against Wycombe.

“Dion was fine on the Alter-G (treadmill) this morning and ran to his full bodyweight, which is a very good sign,” said Evatt. “He will be out on the grass (on Friday) to see how he gets on.”

When asked how confident he was of having Charles available for Saturday, the manager replied: “Not confident, not at all.

“I think there will be a large amount of risk with that – probably a risk we are not willing to take at this stage. Hopefully, he will be available for the next few games before the international break.”

Evatt also confirmed that Nathan Baxter is not available against Cambridge, but Randell Williams could return to the squad following a spell out with a hamstring injury.

West Brom loanee Caleb Taylor remains sidelined, while George Johnston and Dan Nlundulu are long-term absentees.

Source

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum