Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Who went in these pubs?

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Who went in these pubs? Empty Who went in these pubs? Wed Mar 20 2024, 15:53

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Just after the junction of Halliwell Road and pretty much at the top of Blackburn Road we had the Victoria British Queen next to Relph’s funeral services and then over the road pretty much facing there was th Old Original British Queen.

The Victoria British Queen was turned into terraced houses after it had shut down and the Old Original British Queen was turned into an office from memory.

Have any of you lot ever visited these pubs?

I had been to the VBQ but never the one opposite although walked past it many times going to Bolton College on Manchester Road!

IMG-1630

IMG-1631

2Who went in these pubs? Empty Re: Who went in these pubs? Wed Mar 20 2024, 16:29

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Been in both of these but think we would have gone in the VBQ more if my memory is correct?

3Who went in these pubs? Empty Re: Who went in these pubs? Wed Mar 20 2024, 16:52

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Yes, I've been in them both quite a few times.

A bit like 'Sally up steps' the two 'Queens' were known locally as Pomp's and Isherwood's after the names of the respective landlords many years back (Pomp being short for Pomfret - Old Original British Queen).

The Tramways was a bit further up Blackburn Road and the Cricketers (one of the few pubs I never got around to drinking in, in Bolton) was another one off Blackburn Road to the right (Hibbert Street).

Another one I went in but only a couple of times (near the 'Queens') was the Crawford Arms on Bolton Street, a proper old pub that there used to be in the middle or ends of a row of terrace houses.

I remember the Waterloo, at the very bottom of Blackburn road near the junction with Halliwell Road but that closed before I looked old enough to drink.

Back in the day before the internet and mobile phones, the only way you could see your mates was to meet up in their local, or all arrange to meet in town (that's why the Trotters became my local).

Many of my mates I met at secondary school and they lived all over Bolton, so I began to get to know a number of pubs dotted all around the town.

My weekends used to consist of a lads night out on a Friday night, and on after closing time, to the clubs to meet girls, Saturday night was a night out with the girl friend at the time, and Sunday night was a night out with my dad, and quite often we would walk down to Moor Lane, catch a random bus that was in, stay on it for as far as it would go, and walk back to town having a drink in every pub we saw on the way.

That used to be the way of life for me - happy days.

So long ago now.

4Who went in these pubs? Empty Re: Who went in these pubs? Wed Mar 20 2024, 16:58

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I remember the Tramways but don't think i ever went in there? Used to go to the Lamb on occasion and one across the road from the Lamb but can't remember it's name now?

5Who went in these pubs? Empty Re: Who went in these pubs? Wed Mar 20 2024, 18:04

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Norpig wrote:I remember the Tramways but don't think i ever went in there? Used to go to the Lamb on occasion and one across the road from the Lamb but can't remember it's name now?

Craven Heiffer I think it’s spelt. Not many go in there imo. It’s more of a clicky pub and it has had problems with drugs in the past.

Tramways was always closed for some years and then reopened as a hotel sort of thing.

6Who went in these pubs? Empty Re: Who went in these pubs? Wed Mar 20 2024, 18:11

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

The Bridge pub was situated lower down and was the last building before Astley Bridge and was knocked down when I was about 18.

Went in once and never got served as I looked underage. Well I was 16 at the time. Very Happy

IMG-1632

7Who went in these pubs? Empty Re: Who went in these pubs? Wed Mar 20 2024, 18:32

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Yes, I've been in all of those, The Lamb, Pineapple Craven Heifer, The Bridge, Tippings Arms, Tramways, Ish and pomp's,  - and those on Higher Bridge Street, The Globe, Peel, Borough - and all along Halliwell Road too.

I fall over after about two pints these days!

Very Happy

8Who went in these pubs? Empty Re: Who went in these pubs? Wed Mar 20 2024, 21:33

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Sluffy wrote:Yes, I've been in all of those, The Lamb, Pineapple Craven Heifer, The Bridge, Tippings Arms, Tramways, Ish and pomp's,  - and those on Higher Bridge Street, The Globe, Peel, Borough - and all along Halliwell Road too.

I fall over after about two pints these days!

Very Happy
I can barely manage bottled beers these days. Don't know what's happened. Must be an age thing.
I've taken to Guinness Zero, which is pretty darn good, and doesn't put me to sleep.

9Who went in these pubs? Empty Re: Who went in these pubs? Thu Mar 21 2024, 07:56

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

karlypants wrote:The Bridge pub was situated lower down and was the last building before Astley Bridge and was knocked down when I was about 18.

Went in once and never got served as I looked underage. Well I was 16 at the time. Very Happy

IMG-1632
That's the one i couldn't remember!

10Who went in these pubs? Empty Re: Who went in these pubs? Thu Mar 21 2024, 08:45

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Here's a picture of how Tramways looks pretty much today. I couldn't find a picture online of how it looked before sadly.

Who went in these pubs? TRAMWAYS+2018+GOOGLE

11Who went in these pubs? Empty Re: Who went in these pubs? Thu Mar 21 2024, 08:50

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I have walked sometimes to The Globe in Egerton in the past on a nice day. Here's some pics of then and now...

Who went in these pubs? The+Globe

Who went in these pubs? Egeglobe

The Thomas Egerton as it is called now...

Who went in these pubs? ?type=og-image

The Cross Guns further up...

Who went in these pubs? Cross+Guns

12Who went in these pubs? Empty Re: Who went in these pubs? Thu Mar 21 2024, 09:44

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Norpig wrote:
karlypants wrote:The Bridge pub was situated lower down and was the last building before Astley Bridge and was knocked down when I was about 18.

IMG-1632
That's the one i couldn't remember!

You also had the Edge Tavern just behind The Lamb on Old Road.

Who went in these pubs? ?type=responsive-gallery-fullscreen

13Who went in these pubs? Empty Re: Who went in these pubs? Thu Mar 21 2024, 09:50

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

This is the Globe pub I was talking about on Higher Bridge Street -

Who went in these pubs? GLOBE+Higher+Bridge+St+1980s+Josh+Bladen%2527s+grandfather

This is a good site for people of a certain age - Lost Pubs of Bolton -

It's a bit weird to search though, I simply enlarge the map feature (the small box on the left of the blog with all the 'pins' on it marking the various lost pubs) to full screen and search on the roads for the pubs I'm looking for.

https://lostpubsofbolton.blogspot.com/

14Who went in these pubs? Empty Re: Who went in these pubs? Thu Mar 21 2024, 10:15

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Sluffy wrote:This is the Globe pub I was talking about on Higher Bridge Street -

Who went in these pubs? GLOBE+Higher+Bridge+St+1980s+Josh+Bladen%2527s+grandfather

This is a good site for people of a certain age - Lost Pubs of Bolton -

It's a bit weird to search though, I simply enlarge the map feature (the small box on the left of the blog with all the 'pins' on it marking the various lost pubs) to full screen and search on the roads for the pubs I'm looking for.

https://lostpubsofbolton.blogspot.com/
Me and my mate went in there out of curiosity once many years ago. It was a bit run down but seemed ok. I was used to rough pubs as i was a Chorley Old Road regular  Laughing

15Who went in these pubs? Empty Re: Who went in these pubs? Thu Mar 21 2024, 17:34

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Sounds very much like the Balmoral in town these days Laughing

16Who went in these pubs? Empty Re: Who went in these pubs? Fri Mar 22 2024, 07:53

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

karlypants wrote:Sounds very much like the Balmoral in town these days Laughing
 Went in there a few months ago, full of pissheads but the beer was dirt cheap  Very Happy

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum