Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Johny Byrom

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Johny Byrom Empty Johny Byrom Thu Feb 02 2012, 22:17

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Do any of our older posters on here remember Johny Byrom ? He was before my time and I never got to see him play but I am going to a do in a couple of weeks time and he is the guest speaker.

2Johny Byrom Empty Re: Johny Byrom Thu Feb 02 2012, 22:45

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Some one scored a goal - John Byrom, (x 3), Oh Lord, John Byrom!

To the tune of 'Kumbaya'.

(Who said we had great songs back in the good old days!).

Bit of a character was JB.

Remember once the keeper had collected the ball and everyone had moved up field for his kick / throw, with only JB stood in front of him to make the kick more difficult.

Well with his back to the ref he picked his nose and 'flicked' the bogey at the keeper - to put him off! It certainly messed with the keepers mind for the rest of the game!

The story goes that he once threatened to take on Tommy Smith (legendary Liverpool hard man) after the game - not many did that.

Great player for us and was one of my hero's back in the seventies even though he was a Blackburn lad.

We had JB, Franny Lee and Wyn 'the leap' Davies all together for a short time (with Freddy Hill there also!) - would be worth millions in today’s prices.

Hope you have a great time RT, ask about the Tommy Smith story if you get a chance.

3Johny Byrom Empty Re: Johny Byrom Thu Feb 02 2012, 22:53

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Will do. Freddy Hill is another great player who was before my time. I plan to take my camera so hopefully I will get to take a photograph of him and I will post it on here.

Franny Lee was my childhood hero. Years later I remember someone pointing out his Tudor Mansion as we drove through Wilmslow. He made his fortune out of bogroll. Where there's muck there's brass!

4Johny Byrom Empty Re: Johny Byrom Thu Feb 02 2012, 22:57

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Johny Byrom Bolton%20byrom

Johny Byrom Bolton-wanderers-john-byrom-115-printers-proof-sun-swap-cards-1970-collectable-trading-card-19492-p

5Johny Byrom Empty Re: Johny Byrom Sun Feb 05 2012, 10:41

gloswhite

gloswhite
Guðni Bergsson
Guðni Bergsson

I remember seeing Freddie Hill play when I went to the cup replay against Arsenal, at Highbury, wearing a rugby scrum cap because of an injury he received in the first game. (we drew 0-0 at Burnden, with their main man Ian Ure, a complete pudding). Unfortunately, the replay ended 3-0 to Arsenal, when they scored 3 goals in 2 minutes. What made it worse was all the sympathy I got from the Arsenal fans on the tube home ! Crying or Very sad

6Johny Byrom Empty Re: Johny Byrom Fri Feb 24 2012, 20:09

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Just to catch up. Had a really good night with Johnny Byrom as the guest speaker. He gave us some anecdotal tales about his time playing for Bolton and he confirmed that he did have a spat with Tommy Smith.

Johny Byrom 14kxvys

The man himself with Mr S. Sporran

Johny Byrom 11kcjn5

A young fan with a shirt signed by Johnny.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]