Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Books about football

+6
Boggersbelief
rammywhite
Copper Dragon
Reebok Trotter
Natasha Whittam
chipbutty
10 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Books about football Empty Books about football Sun Feb 10 2013, 10:04

chipbutty

chipbutty
Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka

The library book I'm reading at the moment is 'Bolton Wanderers the complete record' by Simon Marland.

It a wonderful book and covers just about everything anyone could want to know about Bolton.

Every player there has been gets a write up but the bit about Francis Lee is very interesting. His first game for the first team when he was 16yrs and still an amature after playing only eight games in the reserves. I went to the game. Bolton beat City 3-1 and Lee scored and got booked.
Also Ray Parry became the youngest player to play in the (old) first division when he was still only 15yrs.
Let's not forget that this was a time of heavy pitchs, heavy leather balls and hard, bone crunching tackles yet these lads played, played well and succeeded.

I have to smile when I read comments about the players of today, oh he's not ready yet or well he's not quite match fit but he could come on for the last 20 mins. No subs in Lee and Parry's days.

To repeat what I said at the start it's a wonderful book and thoroughly recommend it to anyone.

2Books about football Empty Re: Books about football Sun Feb 10 2013, 13:00

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

chipbutty wrote:The library book I'm reading at the moment is 'Bolton Wanderers the complete record' by Simon Marland.

It a wonderful book and covers just about everything anyone could want to know about Bolton.

Every player there has been gets a write up but the bit about Francis Lee is very interesting. His first game for the first team when he was 16yrs and still an amature after playing only eight games in the reserves. I went to the game. Bolton beat City 3-1 and Lee scored and got booked.
Also Ray Parry became the youngest player to play in the (old) first division when he was still only 15yrs.
Let's not forget that this was a time of heavy pitchs, heavy leather balls and hard, bone crunching tackles yet these lads played, played well and succeeded.

I have to smile when I read comments about the players of today, oh he's not ready yet or well he's not quite match fit but he could come on for the last 20 mins. No subs in Lee and Parry's days.

To repeat what I said at the start it's a wonderful book and thoroughly recommend it to anyone.

Stats books bore me, sorry.

However, I do like a good football autobiography. My favourite is Stan Ternent's.

3Books about football Empty Re: Books about football Sun Feb 10 2013, 13:07

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Fabrice Muambas Autobiography, "I'm still standing" is out at the moment.

4Books about football Empty Re: Books about football Sun Feb 10 2013, 13:20

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Reebok Trotter wrote:Fabrice Muambas Autobiography, "I'm still standing" is out at the moment.

I'd rather read Jordan's latest autobiography.

5Books about football Empty Re: Books about football Sun Feb 10 2013, 13:23

Copper Dragon

Copper Dragon
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Natasha Whittam wrote:
chipbutty wrote:The library book I'm reading at the moment is 'Bolton Wanderers the complete record' by Simon Marland.

Stats books bore me, sorry.

However, I do like a good football autobiography. My favourite is Stan Ternent's.

He's a case is our Stan. lol!

6Books about football Empty Re: Books about football Sun Feb 10 2013, 13:24

rammywhite

rammywhite
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Another good read is Wartime Wanderers -by Tim Purcell and Mike Gething.
Its about the club and players round about 1937 to about 1950.
Its amazing that players came from clubs like Horwich RMI and Atherton Collieries- and they often went back to play there.
It was a smaller world then- bus routes determined the extent of your universe.

7Books about football Empty Re: Books about football Sun Feb 10 2013, 13:29

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I met Fabrice last night at a Sportsmans dinner. He came across as a real mild mannered humble individual. Gave a little speech thanking the Wanderers fans for all the support they have given him. When you read about his early life being born in the Congo and the trials and tribulations he has gone through, he knocks Jordans life story into a cocked hat.

He spent a good twenty minutes signing shirts and having photos taken and he had no airs and graces whatsoever. I'd much rather have him as a role model for youngsters than bloody Jordan.

8Books about football Empty Re: Books about football Sun Feb 10 2013, 14:02

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:
Reebok Trotter wrote:Fabrice Muambas Autobiography, "I'm still standing" is out at the moment.

Only because she's your idol.

9Books about football Empty Re: Books about football Sun Feb 10 2013, 14:36

chipbutty

chipbutty
Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka

'The Complete Record' is much more than a list of statistics. The history of Bolton Wanderers, Boltons grounds, Fifty Memorable Matches as well as great photos, including John McGinlay's promotion winning penalty against Preston in 1993 all make this a 'must read' book for any Wanderers fan.

10Books about football Empty Re: Books about football Sun Feb 10 2013, 20:47

Angry Dad

Angry Dad
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

Natasha Whittam wrote:

Jordan's a cunt.

11Books about football Empty Re: Books about football Sun Feb 10 2013, 21:06

Angry Dad

Angry Dad
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

She has a face like a duck.

12Books about football Empty Re: Books about football Sun Feb 10 2013, 21:50

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Angry Dad wrote:She has a face like a duck.

You'd still give her one.

13Books about football Empty Re: Books about football Sun Feb 10 2013, 22:01

Angry Dad

Angry Dad
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

I wouldn't touch it with your's, Kelly Brook for me a real woman unlike that plastic abomination.

14Books about football Empty Re: Books about football Sun Feb 10 2013, 22:08

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I wouldn't read a book about cricket, snooker, rugby or horse racing with a gun to my head.

I'd probably have to be paid to read one about football too.

15Books about football Empty Re: Books about football Sun Feb 10 2013, 22:17

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

You don't know what you are missing Hipster. Jimmy Whites autobiography is a good read, as is Alex Higgins.

16Books about football Empty Re: Books about football Sun Feb 10 2013, 22:27

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I just have no interest in sportsmans lives tbh.

17Books about football Empty Re: Books about football Sun Feb 10 2013, 22:36

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Fair comment.

18Books about football Empty Re: Books about football Mon Feb 11 2013, 10:46

Reebok_Rebel

Reebok_Rebel
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Ive just purchased Muamaba's autobiography, I will let you know what its like when Ive read it.

Ive also read 'walking down the manny road' - A book that supposedly tells the story of Bolton 'firms' The Cuckoo Boys and Horwich Casuals during the 80s - sounded like a promising read till I realized it reads like a 10 year old wrote it, a ten year old pretender who has never really been involved in anything like this at any point in his life - Dont buy it. shit.

Im going to buy the wanderers complete record book as i have a feeling it will be an enjoyable read - like 'wartime wanderers' will also.

I also really enjoyed Seeing Red by Graham poll.

19Books about football Empty Re: Books about football Mon Feb 11 2013, 10:55

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Hipster_Nebula wrote:I just have no interest in sportsmans lives tbh.

Of course not, you're too busy following the life of Liz Jones.

20Books about football Empty Re: Books about football Mon Feb 11 2013, 22:30

chipbutty

chipbutty
Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka

Rebel, if you do buy it, it will give you hours of pleasure.
It's one of those books that you can pick and chose which bit to read next, you don't need to start at the beginning and work your through.
The players you've forgotten about, the great games there have been, not just the plain facts (but of course they are all there as well) will get you re-living the old days.

I sound like I'm on commission trying to sell a few copies but as I said in my original post the book I'm now reading is a library book but I've promised myself to buy it at Christmas and will look forward to re-reading again over the next festive season.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum