Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Fitness

+5
Natasha Whittam
rammywhite
Boggersbelief
wanderlust
doffcocker
9 posters

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Fitness Empty Fitness Sat Feb 16 2013, 17:47

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

I don't recall a Freedman interview where there wasn't a mention of a player who wasn't yet quite fit for his liking.

Is it easy to get deluded by the modern day professional idea of fitness?

If you waited until your best team was 110% fit, would you be waiting forever?

2Fitness Empty Re: Fitness Sat Feb 16 2013, 17:54

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Probably. Most managers make a distinction between being fit and being "match fit" which is some mysterious intangible concept. Personally I think they just pick who they want and use that terminology to justify their selections.

3Fitness Empty Re: Fitness Sat Feb 16 2013, 18:06

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I'd rather him being cautious and wait a while than throw them straight in like coyle did with Holden and set them back months with an injury.

4Fitness Empty Re: Fitness Sat Feb 16 2013, 19:03

Boggersbelief wrote:I'd rather him being cautious and wait a while than throw them straight in like coyle did with Holden and set them back months with an injury.

I can understand being cautious with players that have had serious injuries - but Craig Davies and Kamara haven't had them so I don't quite understand this "not match fit" lark.

Surely to be a professional footballer you've got to be of a certain fitness anyway so how long does it take to get "match fit". My local gym reckons they can shift a stone off my chubby body inside 4 weeks, perhaps they should be given a job at BWFC.

5Fitness Empty Re: Fitness Sat Feb 16 2013, 19:13

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Your local gym will tell you anything to get your money.

6Fitness Empty Re: Fitness Sat Feb 16 2013, 19:23

rammywhite

rammywhite
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

I agree that his team selection is sometimes baffling. I can't understand why he would play two wingers - who presumably have a job in playing wide and getting the ball into central positions- when its ultra slow SKD in there. We had the same problem with Petrov- quick as lightening and crossing decent balls in- and no-one there to meet them.
Surely its SKDs role now to come on in the last 20 minutes or so to slow the game down in forward positions to defend leads.
I think Dougie got it wrong today. He should have used Craig Davies to give them problems and perhaps nick a goal.
Despite getting a point I think Dougie is simply far too cautious in not allowing us to be a genuine attacking force in the early part of away games

7Fitness Empty Re: Fitness Sat Feb 16 2013, 22:22

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

doffcocker wrote:I don't recall a Freedman interview where there wasn't a mention of a player who wasn't yet quite fit for his liking.

Is it easy to get deluded by the modern day professional idea of fitness?

If you waited until your best team was 110% fit, would you be waiting forever?

I just don't understand how a player you "chased after for two years" can be a worldbeater on 31st January, but nearly three weeks later he still can't get a place on the bench.

Fuck off Dougie.

8Fitness Empty Re: Fitness Sat Feb 16 2013, 22:35

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc

Surely the only way to get match fit is by playing in actual matches....unless i'm losing the plot.

9Fitness Empty Re: Fitness Sun Feb 17 2013, 12:05

rammywhite

rammywhite
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

aaron_bwfc wrote:Surely the only way to get match fit is by playing in actual matches....unless i'm losing the plot.

Aaron,

What the hell is training for?

10Fitness Empty Re: Fitness Sun Feb 17 2013, 12:06

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Table tennis?

11Fitness Empty Re: Fitness Sun Feb 17 2013, 12:12

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc

rammywhite wrote:
aaron_bwfc wrote:Surely the only way to get match fit is by playing in actual matches....unless i'm losing the plot.

Aaron,

What the hell is training for?

Getting your fitness levels up but their is only a certain level of fitness you can get to in training, you can't get that match sharpness back training mid-week.

12Fitness Empty Re: Fitness Sun Feb 17 2013, 12:17

rammywhite

rammywhite
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

This is illogical- it's Catch 22. You can only get match fit by playing matches. But you can't play in matches because you're not match fit?

13Fitness Empty Re: Fitness Sun Feb 17 2013, 12:20

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

aaron_bwfc wrote:

Getting your fitness levels up but their is only a certain level of fitness you can get to in training, you can't get that match sharpness back training mid-week.

Why not? What's the difference between a game at Euxton between the 1st team and reserves, and a game at the Reebok?

14Fitness Empty Re: Fitness Sun Feb 17 2013, 12:21

observer

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Natasha Whittam wrote:
aaron_bwfc wrote:

Why not? What's the difference between a game at Euxton between the 1st team and reserves, and a game at the Reebok?
About 50 pounds!

15Fitness Empty Re: Fitness Sun Feb 17 2013, 12:24

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

lol!

16Fitness Empty Re: Fitness Sun Feb 17 2013, 12:37

terenceanne

terenceanne
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf