Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Players need to up their fitness, says boss Neil Lennon

+3
Norpig
Natasha Whittam
karlypants
7 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Neil Lennon believes Monday night’s debacle at Bournemouth showed some of his players must be fitter next season.

The Wanderers boss has made up his mind about which players will stay, and who will leave the Macron this summer and has already offered contracts to Adam Bogdan, Matt Mills, Emile Heskey, Darren Pratley and Eidur Gudjohnsen.

But he has warned those who stick around he expects major improvement on what he has seen in the last few months, accusing some of “dragging their heels” in the run-in.

“Of the players who’ll stay on, some of them need to be fitter,” he told The Bolton News.

“I looked round the team at Bournemouth and some of them looked lightweight, they were heavy-legged; that shouldn’t be the case.

“Physically we didn’t look as strong as Bournemouth and that needs to change. That’s what we’ll endeavour to do.

“I’m not looking to fill the team up with heavyweights but we do need some pace and power in the team and that’s been the case for a while.”

Lennon is understood to be planning a summer conditioning camp, potentially to be held in Austria, similar to the one used by Gary Megson in his time at Bolton.

The Whites boss is determined to ensure next season’s squad is more durable and that he gets more games from some of his more injury-prone stars.

“We need to get stronger, we need to get fitter, we need to be more robust,” said the manager, who has earmarked at least five new signings in the summer.

“If you look at the two teams the other night, seven or eight of the Bournemouth players have played mid-30-plus games this season. They are the players you need in the Championship.

“I look at my statistics and some players have played five, 10, 15 games. That’s not good enough. There are too many players on the treatment table. There are too many players who are perhaps a little bit short at this level.

“We know what we have to do. It will take a lot of hard work.”

Lennon was disappointed with the performance against Bournemouth, as the home side all-but clinched a place in the Premier League, but insists his plans for the squad have not changed in the last couple of months.

“I’m not going to refer to what we did on one night against a top side, this has been my thinking since I walked through the door really,” he said.

“This is one game in isolation. Over the last few weeks we’ve been a bit better against other sides at the top of the division so our job for this summer hasn’t really changed at all.”

Source

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

karlypants wrote:The Wanderers boss has made up his mind about which players will stay, and who will leave the Macron this summer and has already offered contracts to Adam Bogdan, Matt Mills, Emile Heskey, Darren Pratley and Eidur Gudjohnsen.

This worries me. Of those 5 players only Pratley could claim to have had a decent season - half of which was spent on the bench under Dougie or out injured.

Heskey & Eidur have both done ok considering their age and lack of football prior to signing, but neither have been "good".

Bogdan has been injured or playing second fiddle, and except for a great game at Anfield has hardly looked a world beater.

And Mills has been Mills. Good in the air, crap everywhere else.

Why re-sign Mills, Bogdan, Eidur and Heskey? I can't believe those wages couldn't be spent more wisely.

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

they have to find a way of upping their fitness that doesn't make our injury problems any worse than they currently are, is that even possible? Is it a problem with the conditioning coaches or the training?

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I'd say the biggest problem is player mentality. Do we honestly think our medical staff are doing anything different to every other Championship medical team?

Some players will cry off at the slightest knock, others think they are above warming up/down properly.

Get rid of the players, solve the problem.

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:I'd say the biggest problem is player mentality. Do we honestly think our medical staff are doing anything different to every other Championship medical team?

Some players will cry off at the slightest knock, others think they are above warming up/down properly.

Get rid of the players, solve the problem.
 trouble is who's going to buy them? Same old story with Bolton, long contracts and on big wages.

I'm getting bored of saying this, so you lot must be bored of hearing it but, at the risk of sounding like a broken record:

We have no money for new players.

Hence why Lennon is "bigging up" the contributions of the likes of Heskey and Gudjohnsen - they're playing for Bolton for one reason only: They're cheap to employ.

And it won't be changing any time soon.

Unless the club gets sold and someone is prepared to come in and invest directly in the playing staff, which is looking increasingly unlikely.

We're going to see all the loanees return to their parent clubs, a bit of our deadwood will be culled, we'll sign a couple of gambles that few of us have heard of on loans and maybe a couple of others in the Heskey / Gudjohnsen mould (ie experienced but old and past it) and everybody will be moaning about why we didn't push the boat out to sign the likes of ALF and Bannan.

Well, the reason's quite simple: We have no money.

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

We won't be jockeying for a promotional place next season.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

We'll be in touch with the play-offs.

Natasha Whittam wrote:

Bogdan has been injured or playing second fiddle, and except for a great game at Anfield has hardly looked a world beater.

Why re-sign Mills, Bogdan, Eidur and Heskey? I can't believe those wages couldn't be spent more wisely.

We don't need a world beater, but Bogdan is clearly our best keeper. Re-signing him would be a massive bonus as I've already resigned my self to losing him.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

bwfc1874 wrote:
We don't need a world beater, but Bogdan is clearly our best keeper. Re-signing him would be a massive bonus as I've already resigned my self to losing him.

I just don't see the keeper position as a massive problem - compared to the defence. We all know Lonergan is more than good enough at this level and probably gets paid a lot less than Bogdan.

I'd rather see what little cash we have used on problem areas.

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:
bwfc1874 wrote:

I just don't see the keeper position as a massive problem - compared to the defence. We all know Lonergan is more than good enough at this level and probably gets paid a lot less than Bogdan.

I agree with Nat here, plus we may have a chance to get Amos for peanuts perhaps?

I would rather see money spent in defence plus stop using just 3 at the back as it simply isn't working.

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Heskey and Eider are quality and obviously been good this season, having them around is invaluable.

FULL BACKS

WE NEED FULL BACKS

NON INJURY PRONE NON LIGHTWEIGHT NON PONCES

ONCE AGAIN....................FULL BACKS (not centre backs who should be expected to tackle 8 yards outside of there usual position Wink )

Natasha Whittam wrote:
bwfc1874 wrote:

It's all about whether he can stay fit, over the course of a season Bogdan every week will win us more points than Lonergan. For that alone I'd pay the extra.

You're right though, sorting out this defence once and for all should be a priority.

y2johnny wrote:FULL BACKS

WE NEED FULL BACKS

NON INJURY PRONE NON LIGHTWEIGHT NON PONCES

ONCE AGAIN....................FULL BACKS (not centre backs who should be expected to tackle 8 yards outside of there usual position Wink )

CORRECT.

Our team of the year would probably feature a CB at LB and a CM at RB.

Goes to show the extent of our issues.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

We should never have let Nicky Hunt go. Bolton through and through.

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:We should never have let Nicky Hunt go. Bolton through and through.

he certainly went through and through the leagues to league 2 Very Happy

Natasha Whittam wrote:We should never have let Nicky Hunt go. Bolton through and through.
I know you are going to berate me for this but i feel the same way about Gretar, wasn't an injury prone ponce and his work rate was good.  would have been brilliant in this league and i know he wasn't on a fortune compared to others.

ETA:  retired now and a director at fleetwood town

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gr%C3%A9tar_Steinsson

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Why would I berate you, I agree Gretar was a very good player. No nonsense defender who gave 100%.

Natasha Whittam wrote:Why would I berate you, I agree Gretar was a very good player. No nonsense defender who gave 100%.
Right, thats it, if someone doesn't admit to taking over nat's account RIGHT NOW i'm off.  what have you done to her sluffy god damn it!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum