You are not connected. Please login or register

Bolton Nuts » BWFC » Wandering Minds » The Falklands - Do You Care?

The Falklands - Do You Care?

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1The Falklands - Do You Care? Empty The Falklands - Do You Care? on Fri Feb 10 2012, 09:41

Quent

Quent
Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka
There appears to be increasing tension between the UK and Argentina as the 30th anniversary of the Falklands War approaches.

Am I the only one who thinks it's time to hand them to Argentina and forget all about them? In the big scheme of things is it really important, is it worth going to war again?

2The Falklands - Do You Care? Empty Re: The Falklands - Do You Care? on Fri Feb 10 2012, 09:57

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc
What's the big deal over the Falklands anyway?

They are not something I have ever studied but surely no island is really worth all this much trouble?

3The Falklands - Do You Care? Empty Re: The Falklands - Do You Care? on Fri Feb 10 2012, 10:37

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
That there's some corner of a foreign field. That is forever England.

The place is miles away in the south Atlantic and is only fit for raising sheep and fishing. If we abandon it and let the Argies take over we do a great disservice to all the soldiers who lost their lives defending its sovereignty all those years ago.

Lest we forget............

4The Falklands - Do You Care? Empty Re: The Falklands - Do You Care? on Fri Feb 10 2012, 10:43

Quent

Quent
Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka
@Reebok Trotter wrote:If we abandon it and let the Argies take over we do a great disservice to all the soldiers who lost their lives defending its sovereignty all those years ago

True, and no doubt the stance the politicians will take.

But you can't keep defending something just because many soldiers died 30 years ago, or where does it all end? A nuclear war over a few sheep?

5The Falklands - Do You Care? Empty Re: The Falklands - Do You Care? on Fri Feb 10 2012, 10:48

bwfc71

bwfc71
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo
But there are some decent oil fields in that area which comes under the jurisdiction of the Falklands !!!!

6The Falklands - Do You Care? Empty Re: The Falklands - Do You Care? on Fri Feb 10 2012, 11:12

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
@bwfc71 wrote:But there are some decent oil fields in that area which comes under the jurisdiction of the Falklands !!!!

There is indeed! The Falklands is a British colony. The people all speak the Queens english, not spanish.

It's a bit like Morocco claiming the Canary Isle belong to them because they are closer to the islands than Spain.

7The Falklands - Do You Care? Empty Re: The Falklands - Do You Care? on Fri Feb 10 2012, 11:28

Quent

Quent
Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka
I'm not so sure people would be as keen to defend it if they had to fly out there themselves.

8The Falklands - Do You Care? Empty Re: The Falklands - Do You Care? on Fri Feb 10 2012, 15:11

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington
The people who live in the Falkland Islands, by and large, wish to remain a British colony. So long as that remains the case, we have a duty to protect their right to British sovereignty. It's got nothing to do with keeping the islands themselves. It's about people.

9The Falklands - Do You Care? Empty Re: The Falklands - Do You Care? on Fri Feb 10 2012, 15:49

the rights of a few shouldnt mean the rest of us have to go to war. if they want to be british then let them move here

10The Falklands - Do You Care? Empty Re: The Falklands - Do You Care? on Fri Feb 10 2012, 16:06

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington
I don't know if I'm discussing this with a troll, a moron, or a WUM. Sometimes the difference isn't always clear. In any case, you can't let countries like Argentina invade the lands of other people, whether it's a colony or not.

11The Falklands - Do You Care? Empty Re: The Falklands - Do You Care? on Fri Feb 10 2012, 16:17

Il Padrino wrote:you can't let countries like Argentina invade the lands of other people, whether it's a colony or not.

they're not invading, they simply want the islands for themselves.

if they'd invaded i guess we'd have to defend the falklands, but as they haven't, perhaps a bit of common sense should prevail here - give them the islands, preventing a pointless war.

but of course our government will take your attitude and thousands of men and women will end up dead.

12The Falklands - Do You Care? Empty Re: The Falklands - Do You Care? on Fri Feb 10 2012, 16:21

Il Padrino wrote:I don't know if I'm discussing this with a troll, a moron, or a WUM. Sometimes the difference isn't always clear.

thanks. no im just someone who has seen what war can do, and defending a few people and there sheep is not worth the death it will cause if that makes me a troll then ill get back under me bridge

13The Falklands - Do You Care? Empty Re: The Falklands - Do You Care? on Fri Feb 10 2012, 16:24

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Il Padrino wrote:I don't know if I'm discussing this with a troll, a moron, or a WUM. Sometimes the difference isn't always clear. In any case, you can't let countries like Argentina invade the lands of other people, whether it's a colony or not.

You're debating with all of the above.

My dad fought in the Falklands, even so this petty point scoring is pathetic IMO.

14The Falklands - Do You Care? Empty Re: The Falklands - Do You Care? on Fri Feb 10 2012, 16:30

@Hipster_Nebula wrote:

im no wum

15The Falklands - Do You Care? Empty Re: The Falklands - Do You Care? on Fri Feb 10 2012, 16:33

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington
You're probably right, Hipster. I just don't think someone asking "why should the rest of us go to war?" and suggesting "they can move here" is being sensible.

What if some other nation made a claim to islands closer to home, or part of the British mainland? It's just typical of the I'm-alright-Jack attitude in this country. The Falkland Islanders are British citizens and they deserve the protection of the British government and if necessary, its armed forces.

16The Falklands - Do You Care? Empty Re: The Falklands - Do You Care? on Fri Feb 10 2012, 16:40

its the bigger picture im looking at.

if you really think it's potentially worth losing thousands of lives and starting world war 3 over a handful of people you really are as silly as the men who run our government.

17The Falklands - Do You Care? Empty Re: The Falklands - Do You Care? on Fri Feb 10 2012, 16:57

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Sir Nut's Dad wrote:
@Hipster_Nebula wrote:

im no wum

Yes you are.

Not a problem though, every board needs one or two or three or four.

18The Falklands - Do You Care? Empty Re: The Falklands - Do You Care? on Fri Feb 10 2012, 16:59

so a wum is someone who disagrees with you

19The Falklands - Do You Care? Empty Re: The Falklands - Do You Care? on Fri Feb 10 2012, 17:01

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Ok, maybe you're not strictly a "wum." But you know what i mean.

but come on "sir nuts dad" admit you can type in perfect english. That would be a start, no need for the spelling mistakes.

20The Falklands - Do You Care? Empty Re: The Falklands - Do You Care? on Fri Feb 10 2012, 17:05

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington
not-so-plain-jayne wrote:its the bigger picture im looking at.

if you really think it's potentially worth losing thousands of lives and starting world war 3 over a handful of people you really are as silly as the men who run our government.

Well, if you really think thousands of lives would be lost and world war 3 is coming over the Falkland Islands, I'll take no lectures on silliness from you, thanks.

Even if you're right to view the Falkland Islanders as a handful of people, and even if we were heading to war with Argentina over them - which we aren't - then fewer than 1,000 people died in the last Falklands War, so where you're getting the idea that thousands would die in another such war, I have no idea.

If people declare war on you, you have to fight back. If you think that is in any way silly, then you're completely out of touch with the realities of international affairs.

21The Falklands - Do You Care? Empty Re: The Falklands - Do You Care? on Fri Feb 10 2012, 17:12

@Hipster_Nebula wrote:Ok, maybe you're not strictly a "wum." But you know what i mean.

but come on "sir nuts dad" admit you can type in perfect english. That would be a start, no need for the spelling mistakes.

im not the worlds best speller i wish i could write better. when you were at skool i was gaining life experence

22The Falklands - Do You Care? Empty Re: The Falklands - Do You Care? on Fri Feb 10 2012, 17:15

Il Padrino wrote:
Well, if you really think thousands of lives would be lost and world war 3 is coming over the Falkland Islands, I'll take no lectures on silliness from you, thanks.

Even if you're right to view the Falkland Islanders as a handful of people, and even if we were heading to war with Argentina over them - which we aren't - then fewer than 1,000 people died in the last Falklands War, so where you're getting the idea that thousands would die in another such war, I have no idea.

If people declare war on you, you have to fight back. If you think that is in any way silly, then you're completely out of touch with the realities of international affairs.

oh right, so you know exactly how a war would go do you? you know exactly who would get involved?

if only you'd been around in the early 40's, you could have saved a lot of lives with your foresight.

23The Falklands - Do You Care? Empty Re: The Falklands - Do You Care? on Fri Feb 10 2012, 17:36

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington
No, I don't know exactly how many lives would be lost in a hypothetical war which isn't going to happen. I'll tell you why it isn't going to happen, though - because the British government takes a hard line over the Falkland Islands, which you want to give up because it's just "a handful of people". 3,500 British Citizens you're happy to see annexed by a hostile foreign power. Argentina would not dare invade the Falklands again, it would suffer heavy military losses and be ostracised in the UN.

I don't have to specify exactly how many lives would be lost, you're the one who used the term "thousands", I'm telling you I think it would be less than that for the reasons highlighted above. Now how about you let us all know where you get the idea thousands of lives would be lost, instead of trying to pick away at my posts with low-brow sarcasm?

As for your bit about foresight, I don't have foresight, I have something even better than that, it's called hindsight, and my opinions are informed by the benefit of it, unlike yours.

24The Falklands - Do You Care? Empty Re: The Falklands - Do You Care? on Fri Feb 10 2012, 18:23

gloswhite

gloswhite
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha
I believe that as a democracy, the Falkland Islanders wish to remain (yes. remain), British citizens, and they are entitled to the protection of the British government. That protection is provided by members of Armed Forces, who are trained to carry out their role, and when asked to, do so without complaint. The idea of 'giving up' what is Sovereign land is insulting to the people who lost their lives there, as well as abandoning the Islanders themselves.

I also feel that a lot of the sabre-rattling by the Argentinians is more for political expediency at home, as well as an eye on the benefits of a rich fishing area, along with oil, and possible mineral deposits. These are no doubt reasons why our own government will enforce the choice of democracy.

Walking away from a possible conflict for reasons such as believing its not worth 'defending a few people and there sheep' is an opinion I don't understand, because I'm sure that if the poster of that comment was an islander, his views would be very different. Like the Falklands the UK is also 'just an island'.

Its standing up for democracy that allows us to let hundreds of thousands of immigrants move to this country, whilst forming a diverse and hopefully beneficial society. Letting somebody browbeat us out of what is ours, and the residents, is pathetic, and would lead the way to us giveing everything away, (something we have been doing with the Commonwealth), whilst showing to other nations all they have to do is shout at us. Needless to say, this would lead to even more conflict, with many more lives lost. Those who want to give away British resident's rights, just becasue it seems a good thing to do, really should think again.

25The Falklands - Do You Care? Empty Re: The Falklands - Do You Care? on Fri Feb 10 2012, 18:30

gloswhite

gloswhite
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha
Il Padrino. I'm with you. The people in the city can sleep, only becasue there are guards at the gate.

26The Falklands - Do You Care? Empty Re: The Falklands - Do You Care? on Fri Feb 10 2012, 18:35

Il Padrino wrote:No, I don't know exactly how many lives would be lost in a hypothetical war which isn't going to happen. I'll tell you why it isn't going to happen, though - because the British government takes a hard line over the Falkland Islands, which you want to give up because it's just "a handful of people". 3,500 British Citizens you're happy to see annexed by a hostile foreign power. Argentina would not dare invade the Falklands again, it would suffer heavy military losses and be ostracised in the UN.

I don't have to specify exactly how many lives would be lost, you're the one who used the term "thousands", I'm telling you I think it would be less than that for the reasons highlighted above. Now how about you let us all know where you get the idea thousands of lives would be lost, instead of trying to pick away at my posts with low-brow sarcasm?

saddam hussein lives!

when did a war ever accomplish anything other than death and destruction?

is hitler your hero?

27The Falklands - Do You Care? Empty Re: The Falklands - Do You Care? on Fri Feb 10 2012, 18:39

gloswhite

gloswhite
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha
Jayne, its not the fact that there was a war, you have to look at why was there a war, and what could have happened otherwise. You mention Hitler, and you have to think about what would have happend if the Allies didn't go to war, for whatever reason.

28The Falklands - Do You Care? Empty Re: The Falklands - Do You Care? on Fri Feb 10 2012, 18:41

the world is full of war. you lot want to go to war over a few people and their sheep, imagine if it was something more important.

i'd like any children I have to grow up in a war-free world, unfortunately the world is run by men and their egos.

29The Falklands - Do You Care? Empty Re: The Falklands - Do You Care? on Fri Feb 10 2012, 18:44

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Jayne are you a model?

30The Falklands - Do You Care? Empty Re: The Falklands - Do You Care? on Fri Feb 10 2012, 18:50

@Hipster_Nebula wrote:Jayne are you a model?

er, no.

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum