Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Would you view things differently?

+7
Lyric Todkill
Jamster26
Natasha Whittam
doffcocker
Hipster_Nebula
wanderlust
jayjay23
11 posters

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Would you view things differently? Empty Would you view things differently? Mon Mar 18 2013, 01:57

jayjay23

jayjay23
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

If the goal by Edwards (for Ipswich) had been scrambled clear or hit the bar and gone over, and one of Eagle's attempts had been deflected into the goal at the other end we would have won.

In that case would your feelings about the team on the whole be different? ie. Would you still have negative things to say about the manager or the tactics from Saturday?

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Wouldn't have changed anything. If you use that analogy then it's equally valid to say what would have happened if Brighton's shot that hit the post had gone in, or either of the Rovers shots that hit the woodwork had been a goal?
In every game there's the "rub of the green" which can go either way and even the best teams suffer from it from time to time, but..
the best teams are consistent in creating and taking chances, control the game better and so statistically are more likely to win over the course of the season. No manager can do anything about bad luck and bad decisions other than consistently turn out a team that outperforms the opposition so that when luck or decisions go against you the team is doing enough to compensate.
We didn't. Our performances haven't been great even when we were on the winning streak and until we get to the next level then we are at the mercy of the gods as far as luck is concerned. We need to be good enough to make our own luck.

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Trolls would still say something negative even if we won.

The "we won in spite of him!" line is a classic, but of course we lose because of him.

jayjay23

jayjay23
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

Hipster_Nebula wrote:Trolls would still say something negative even if we won.

The "we won in spite of him!" line is a classic, but of course we lose because of him.

That is not the way it works for me.
My point above was more about the way people will moan about the performance after we lose and praise it after a win regardless of the bigger picture.

I would rather people said "we lost but the positives are..." if there are any.

Or, "we won, but we need to perform better, " if that is the case - and then support their point of view.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

We lost and we need to perform better.

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

jayjay is spot on. Numerous things happen over 90 minutes that are outside of a manager's control - things that didn't come about as a result of credible managerial measures and things that as much couldn't have prevented.

Successful decisions aren't necessarily logical ones. Decisions occasionally have the desired effect, despite being poorly thought out or reasoned. Equally, the opposite is true.

There's nothing wrong with the "we won in spite of" line, so long as you understand you can also "lose in spite of" a manager.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Seriously, please move on. Every post is the same. Anyone who doesn't agree with you is a "troll" even though you haven't been to a game in years.

For the good of the site you should be banned for good. Mods?

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:

Seriously, please move on. Every post is the same. Anyone who doesn't agree with you is a "troll" even though you haven't been to a game in years.

For the good of the site you should be banned for good. Mods?

Fair enough, bye!

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Hipster_Nebula wrote:

Fair enough, bye!

That was easier than I thought.

10Would you view things differently? Empty Re: Would you view things differently? Mon Mar 18 2013, 17:09

Jamster26

Jamster26
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

Probably not if I'm being honest. However, when your team loses a match, you're more likely to evaluate the flawes in the team / performance.

11Would you view things differently? Empty Re: Would you view things differently? Mon Mar 18 2013, 22:26

Lyric Todkill

Lyric Todkill
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

I don't comment on games I haven't seen

12Would you view things differently? Empty Re: Would you view things differently? Mon Mar 18 2013, 23:47

terenceanne

terenceanne
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Certainly the Daft would be spouting about winning six in a row ....
We are not good enough to give Ipswich a decent game.....that's all there is to it.

13Would you view things differently? Empty Re: Would you view things differently? Mon Mar 18 2013, 23:58

Lofty_Love

Lofty_Love
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

terenceanne wrote:Certainly the Daft would be spouting about winning six in a row ....

Yeah, what a daft thing to praise a team for...

14Would you view things differently? Empty Re: Would you view things differently? Tue Mar 19 2013, 08:21

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

terenceanne wrote:
We are not good enough to give Ipswich a decent game.....that's all there is to it.
We were compact for most of the game apart from a poor start and conceding at the end - defensively we were competent by and large. Midfield were good out of possession - worked hard - clueless in possession - it just didn't come together going forward.
Forwards worked hard but Cavies was poor, SKD similar when he came on. Ngog seemed most comfortable receiving the ball but didn't get put through on goal. Most of the time it was Eagles running into blind alleys or pumping the ball into the box which their CBs mopped up easily.
It was all there - we just had a poor performance as a team. Can't blame any individual players apart from maybe Cavies who was out of sorts - we just didn't gel going forward. Some days are like that which is why you can't leave the season so late that you're having to bank on winning every game to get into the playoffs - there will be off days.

15Would you view things differently? Empty Re: Would you view things differently? Tue Mar 19 2013, 10:51

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

terenceanne wrote:Certainly the Daft would be spouting about winning six in a row ....

I must be one of the daft ones because I think six wins in a row is quite an achievement for our team.

16Would you view things differently? Empty Re: Would you view things differently? Tue Mar 19 2013, 14:25

Keegan

Keegan
Admin

Natasha Whittam wrote:For the good of the site you should be banned for good. Mods?

I'm quietly festering, if that helps.

https://forum.boltonnuts.co.uk

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum