Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Split The Bill

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Split The Bill Empty Split The Bill Thu Feb 23 2012, 14:42

Following on from Spudulika's great post about chivalry, has anyone found themselves in the following situation:

A group of us go out every few weeks to the same restaurant and rather than pay for our individual meals/drinks we split the bill evenly at the end of the night. Most couple seem to eat and drink roughly the same so it's never been a big deal.

However, just recently another couple have joined us who always eat the most expensive thing on the menu and drink fancy wine until they can hardly stand up. I have no problem with that as they are fun people, but I do object to having to split the bill equally at the end of the night knowing full well they've "spent" £75+ more than my wife and I.

My wife says I should just accept it but it really pisses me off and I'm having to bite my tongue.

What should I do? Are these people being rude or is it my fault for accepting them into our "split equally at the end of the night" system?

2Split The Bill Empty Re: Split The Bill Thu Feb 23 2012, 14:48

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Unless this couple are very dumb they will know they're taking the piss, best to shame them by mentioning it in front of everyone.

3Split The Bill Empty Re: Split The Bill Thu Feb 23 2012, 14:54

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc

Can't be doing with splitting the bill to be honest, always end in a row if we ever try it.

Best to just get the receipt and tally up how much everyone owes in my opinion.

4Split The Bill Empty Re: Split The Bill Thu Feb 23 2012, 14:56

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

There's a brilliant scenario like this in the wonderful Curb Your Enthusiasm. It's a US cinema verite style comedy by Larry David, the guy who co-wrote Seinfeld. It deals with what is awkward in social situations.

For example
- If you are in a friend's house, is it acceptable to take something from the fridge without asking?
- Is it acceptable for a lone male traveller to wear shorts on a long hall flight?
- Is it acceptable to make a large 'anonymous' donation to a charity, but tell everyone about it?
- If three friends are in a car, and the guy in the front passenger seat gets dropped off somewhere, is it acceptable as the remaining passenger to insist you are staying the back, thus potentially giving the impression your other friend is driving you around?
- Should you have to thank the wife of a wealthy person if the wealthy person buys you something?

And so on.

Anyway a situation arises where two couples regularly meet for dinner. They are wealthy and the men always pay. One of the men keeps conveniently going to the bathroom just as the bill is about to arrive.

Anyway, I agree with NATASHA WHITTAM above. They know they are taking the piss.

5Split The Bill Empty Re: Split The Bill Thu Feb 23 2012, 16:00

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

I usually split the bill with other couples even though my wife usually only has one glass of wine since she is normally the designated driver (one of the many reasons I married her). It seems petty to itemise a bill.

However like the Natasha and IP I suspect this couple is taking the piss. It might be worth talking to your friends to see how they feel about this couple. Maybe next time you all go out everybody could order champagne and see how this couple react.

The only awkward situation I have is with one couple we know who don't believe in tipping! I am happy to normally tip 10% and I go back to these restaurants on other occasions, so I end up paying the tip. It's odd because otherwise they are generous people.

6Split The Bill Empty Re: Split The Bill Thu Feb 23 2012, 16:09

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Il Padrino wrote:There's a brilliant scenario like this in the wonderful Curb Your Enthusiasm. It's a US cinema verite style comedy by Larry David, the guy who co-wrote Seinfeld. It deals with what is awkward in social situations.

Anyway, I agree with NATASHA WHITTAM above. They know they are taking the piss.

You see IP, we're not so different after all. It's my favourite programme too.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum