Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ricketts gone for free! - OFFICIAL

+16
WhiteBic
Reebok Trotter
xmiles
NickFazer
Norpig
Sluffy
aaron_bwfc
Triumph
waynagain
terenceanne
Keegan
doffcocker
Barryjw
rammywhite
Jamster26
wanderlust
20 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

21Ricketts gone for free! - OFFICIAL - Page 2 Empty Re: Ricketts gone for free! - OFFICIAL Thu Jul 04 2013, 13:11

Triumph wrote:If the contract was cancelled as agreed  then no payments would have been made.

I think it depends on the 'mutually agreed' terms o the termination. I'd be amazed if Ricketts didn't get himself some sort of pay off, considering his contract with Wolves will probably be smaller.

22Ricketts gone for free! - OFFICIAL - Page 2 Empty Re: Ricketts gone for free! - OFFICIAL Thu Jul 04 2013, 13:12

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

sad to see him go, would rather have kept him and let Mears go. We are short on cover at left back as well now.

23Ricketts gone for free! - OFFICIAL - Page 2 Empty Re: Ricketts gone for free! - OFFICIAL Thu Jul 04 2013, 13:13

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Relegated Wolves have made their first signing of the summer by bringing in experienced Bolton Wanderers defender Sam Ricketts on a free transfer.

The 31-year-old, capped 48 times by Wales, has signed a two-year deal after his contract at Bolton was cancelled.

"Sam's been a good servant," Trotters boss Dougie Freedman told BBC Radio Manchester.

"But I just can't honestly look him in the eye and guarantee him a position in the team," added the ex-Wolves striker.

Ricketts's place at Bolton was under threat after fellow defender Alex Baptiste was signed from Championship rivals Blackpool last week.

He is the first signing made by new Wolves boss Kenny Jackett, who first signed him for Swansea City from non-league Telford nine years ago.

The move for Ricketts, who has also played for Oxford United, Nuneaton and Hull City, comes amid a series of departures, and potential departures, at Molineux.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

24Ricketts gone for free! - OFFICIAL - Page 2 Empty Re: Ricketts gone for free! - OFFICIAL Thu Jul 04 2013, 15:13

Keegan

Keegan
Admin

He was a decent player for us and had some note-worthy performances. Some money would have been nice but he would have been on Prem wages and uncertain to play so a good deal overall to let him go. Ideally he helps Wolves out of League 1 to find that we have been Promoted to the Premiership.

https://forum.boltonnuts.co.uk

25Ricketts gone for free! - OFFICIAL - Page 2 Empty Re: Ricketts gone for free! - OFFICIAL Thu Jul 04 2013, 18:00

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Also been made Wolves captain!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Jackett today said of the decision to hand the armband to Ricketts: “Sam has come in as captain.

"It’s a new challenge for him but we needed some freshness in the squad and he’s flexible. He can play anywhere across the back four.”

Ricketts has played in all five divisions – including the Conference, where he played for Telford United in 2003-04 – and insists dropping down to League One from the Championship isn’t a problem to him.

He said: "Dropping down a division doesn’t put me off at all, because of the size of the club. Wolves aren’t looking to stay in League One – we are looking upwards.

“It’s a big club, and was one of the biggest in the Championship. Everyone is looking forward to seeing where we can go.

"I have played in every league and played at more or less every ground in the country so there is nothing new for me.

"It’s going to be an exciting and enjoyable new challenge.”

After earning his League chance under Jackett at 23, Ricketts could be seen as a late developer.

But he may also become arguably the most experienced campaigner at Molineux – which could be key given the increasing youthfulness of the squad.

He said: "I still view myself as fairly young – physically am probably in as good a shape as I have ever been.

“I’ve been fortunate and have only really had one major injury. I’m looking to play for another five or six years.”

Ricketts is probably best known to Wolves fans for scoring a stunning opener for Bolton against them in a 1-1 draw on New Year’s Eve 2011.

It was on his comeback from a 10-month lay off with an Achilles injury – past his Wales team-mate Wayne Hennessey.

He smiled: “It’s always nice to put one past Wayne!”

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

26Ricketts gone for free! - OFFICIAL - Page 2 Empty Re: Ricketts gone for free! - OFFICIAL Thu Jul 04 2013, 19:11

NickFazer

NickFazer
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Good luck to Sam, been a good signing overall but the time is right to move on.

27Ricketts gone for free! - OFFICIAL - Page 2 Empty Re: Ricketts gone for free! - OFFICIAL Thu Jul 04 2013, 19:44

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

NickFazer wrote:Good luck to Sam, been a good signing overall but the time is right to move on.

I agree.

28Ricketts gone for free! - OFFICIAL - Page 2 Empty Re: Ricketts gone for free! - OFFICIAL Thu Jul 04 2013, 22:28

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

29Ricketts gone for free! - OFFICIAL - Page 2 Empty Re: Ricketts gone for free! - OFFICIAL Thu Jul 04 2013, 22:39

WhiteBic

WhiteBic
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

I wish him all the best, like others have said above his lack of speed leaves him wide open against quick wingers. I feel he would of be on the bench 90% of the time this season. Good move for both parties.

30Ricketts gone for free! - OFFICIAL - Page 2 Empty Re: Ricketts gone for free! - OFFICIAL Fri Jul 05 2013, 19:56

Michael Bolton

Michael Bolton
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Seems a bit strange. I always thought he seemed a decent player. But having said that I only saw us play once last season.

31Ricketts gone for free! - OFFICIAL - Page 2 Empty Re: Ricketts gone for free! - OFFICIAL Fri Jul 05 2013, 20:00

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Michael Bolton wrote:Seems a bit strange. I always thought he seemed a decent player. But having said that I only saw us play once last season.

He's no A. Cole is he Mike Laughing 

32Ricketts gone for free! - OFFICIAL - Page 2 Empty Re: Ricketts gone for free! - OFFICIAL Fri Jul 05 2013, 22:14

Tigermin

Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

Good player,enjoyed watching him.Good luck at the second only wanderers !

33Ricketts gone for free! - OFFICIAL - Page 2 Empty Re: Ricketts gone for free! - OFFICIAL Fri Jul 05 2013, 23:25

wessy

wessy
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

You could see at the end of last season he had lost some pace, so i thank him and say good move all round.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum