Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Reasons to be cheerful

+3
Reebok_Rebel
rammywhite
wanderlust
7 posters

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Reasons to be cheerful Empty Reasons to be cheerful Tue Jul 02 2013, 07:17

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Dougie's record since he took over is pretty good seeing as he inherited a losing squad (Games 36 Wins 15 Draws 12 Losses 9 Win Ratio 41.6%) but as he starts to shape his squad, I can't help but be more impressed (on paper at least) with the signings he's made so far (apart from the Butterfield loan) We haven't seen much of them, and no doubt they will be looked upon with contempt in some quarters but I like his thinking.
Tierney and Baptiste aren't exactly superstars but they're both experienced full backs and above all else we need some calmness and solidity at the back which they'll bring. Hayden White is a flyer and will be pushing for a start despite being so young. Bolger - we don't know how he'll progress as a CB but Conor Wilkinson is a decent prospect up front long-term. Medo looks like a bargain. Hall - can't see what the fuss is about but it does seem like those in the know rate him as a top prospect. Jan Gregus appears to have been sent back to Banik which is encouraging inasmuch that it cost us nothing to find out if he could hack it. Cavies doesn't impress me that much but he was a low cost stop gap and can do a job. The loans of de Ridder, Dawson, Spearing and Afobe were all good and appropriate at the time. If we add Beckford and (could it be really true?) Rhodes or similar quality striker to that lot and theoretically we have a great squad.
Whether it works out that way, time will tell but I like Dougie's vision. He's spent very little for rather a lot and maybe that's why he was supported with funds to bid for Rhodes.
Still a bit of dead wood (Mears and Andrews) to get rid of plus maybe a striker (if he gets his targets) and Sam Ricketts but I'm impressed that Dougie has been decisive and is prepared to make changes rather than tinkering.
I just know that I'm going to be stupidly optimistic when the season actually starts as I am confident in our manager.

2Reasons to be cheerful Empty Re: Reasons to be cheerful Tue Jul 02 2013, 07:31

rammywhite

rammywhite
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Well said Wanderlust- I share your optimism. I think we might have a slow start ,but we'll do ourselves proud this season

3Reasons to be cheerful Empty Re: Reasons to be cheerful Tue Jul 02 2013, 09:42

Reebok_Rebel

Reebok_Rebel
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Forget about Rhodes, we have more chance of buying the Island than the player... Rolling Eyes 

4Reasons to be cheerful Empty Re: Reasons to be cheerful Tue Jul 02 2013, 10:04

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Reebok_Rebel wrote:Forget about Rhodes, we have more chance of buying the Island than the player... Rolling Eyes 

Given the state of the Greek economy it's a real possibility...

5Reasons to be cheerful Empty Re: Reasons to be cheerful Tue Jul 02 2013, 10:41

Reebok_Rebel

Reebok_Rebel
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

wanderlust wrote:
Reebok_Rebel wrote:Forget about Rhodes, we have more chance of buying the Island than the player... Rolling Eyes 

Given the state of the Greek economy it's a real possibility...

I know...

6Reasons to be cheerful Empty Re: Reasons to be cheerful Tue Jul 02 2013, 12:23

waynagain

waynagain
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

None of Freedman's signings have given me reason to think things will be any better than last season. The best 2 players we had last year have gone and not been replaced. As things stand now, the Greek economy may show more improvement over the next year than Bolton will.

7Reasons to be cheerful Empty Re: Reasons to be cheerful Tue Jul 02 2013, 12:26

waynagain wrote:None of Freedman's signings have given me reason to think things will be any better than last season. The best 2 players we had last year have gone and not been replaced. As things stand now, the Greek economy may show more improvement over the next year than Bolton will.

Medo Kamara?

He took us to within a point of the playoffs there's already been significant improvement, resulting from a complete overhaul behind the scenes. If not the signings there's plenty of other things to be positive about.

8Reasons to be cheerful Empty Re: Reasons to be cheerful Tue Jul 02 2013, 12:27

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

If Beckford signs I will be happier than I thought I'd be, at last a proper striker after years of utter crap.

Still think the defence will be the big problem seeing as Doogie hasn't addressed the main problem - Zat Knight.

9Reasons to be cheerful Empty Re: Reasons to be cheerful Tue Jul 02 2013, 12:57

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:If Beckford signs I will be happier than I thought I'd be, at last a proper striker after years of utter crap.

Still think the defence will be the big problem seeing as Doogie hasn't addressed the main problem - Zat Knight.

You are such a beacon of hope in these times of abject despair. I'll turn to you whenever I'm feeling dejected about the team I love - in the knowledge that you'll always be able to find something positive for me to cling on to.bounce 

10Reasons to be cheerful Empty Re: Reasons to be cheerful Tue Jul 02 2013, 17:41

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

waynagain wrote:None of Freedman's signings have given me reason to think things will be any better than last season.

Laughing 

11Reasons to be cheerful Empty Re: Reasons to be cheerful Tue Jul 02 2013, 20:13

Angry Dad

Angry Dad
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

I feel good about next reason we have the right man in charge at last.

12Reasons to be cheerful Empty Re: Reasons to be cheerful Tue Jul 02 2013, 20:16

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Angry Dad wrote:I feel good about next reason we have the right man in charge at last.

He might be your son.

13Reasons to be cheerful Empty Re: Reasons to be cheerful Tue Jul 02 2013, 20:22

Angry Dad

Angry Dad
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

Natasha Whittam wrote:
Angry Dad wrote:I feel good about next reason we have the right man in charge at last.

He might be your son.
I dont know how old is he? nat is that your picture?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum