Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Bolton Nuts » BWFC » Wandering Minds » SOUP

SOUP

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1SOUP Empty SOUP on Sun Feb 26 2012, 21:14

Quent

Quent
Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka
This could be the most exciting thread ever.

Peoples attitude to soup bugs me. There is nothing better than a good vegetable or minestrone soup - simple but delicious. In fact I love all the classics and they are often the highlight of a restaurant visit.

But just recently I've noticed a trend for restaurants to serve ridiculous soups, just to be different. Last night I was out with the missus and the soup of the day was orange and cabbage. It tasted as bad as it sounds.

I'm thinking of starting a SAVE OUR SOUP campaign.

What is your favourite soup?

2SOUP Empty Re: SOUP on Sun Feb 26 2012, 21:16

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
hmmm, not a big soup fan but the only one i love is Broccoli.

3SOUP Empty Re: SOUP on Sun Feb 26 2012, 21:16

i share your pain. it bugs me too.

4SOUP Empty Re: SOUP on Sun Feb 26 2012, 21:18

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Never had orange and cabbage. It doesn't sound very palatable. Leek and Potato and Tomato soup are my favourites. I also like hot and sour soup if I have a Chinese.

5SOUP Empty Re: SOUP on Sun Feb 26 2012, 21:18

Banks of the Croal

Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington
Soup is something i have most days, But my fav has got to be.

Pea and Ham Soup.

6SOUP Empty Re: SOUP on Sun Feb 26 2012, 21:21

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
I have never found any soup in the supermarket that tastes remotely like the soup they serve in restaurants or pubs.

Can anyone recommend a tinned soup?

7SOUP Empty Re: SOUP on Sun Feb 26 2012, 21:23

bwfc71

bwfc71
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo
absolutely enjoy Tomato soup

Also like chicken soup, cream of cauliflower soup and the dutch ertwe..... soup (basically pea and ham).

Tend to make my own cream of cauliflower soup, nowadays, after I followed a receipe a friend gave me, and its absolutely gorgeous :-)

8SOUP Empty Re: SOUP on Sun Feb 26 2012, 21:24

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
@bwfc71 wrote:

Tend to make my own cream of cauliflower soup, nowadays, after I followed a receipe a friend gave me, and its absolutely gorgeous :-)

You are so talented I love you

9SOUP Empty Re: SOUP on Sun Feb 26 2012, 21:25

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
@Natasha Whittam wrote:I have never found any soup in the supermarket that tastes remotely like the soup they serve in restaurants or pubs.

Can anyone recommend a tinned soup?

The waitrose soups in the tubs are real good. Other than that, no.

10SOUP Empty Re: SOUP on Sun Feb 26 2012, 21:27

bwfc71

bwfc71
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo
@Natasha Whittam wrote:
@bwfc71 wrote:

You are so talented I love you

I do try to cook from fresh as it is more healthier than from a tin or pre-packed meals. Plus I do like cooking for some reason, although i am definitely no masterchef

11SOUP Empty Re: SOUP on Sun Feb 26 2012, 21:40

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
@bwfc71 wrote:
I do try to cook from fresh as it is more healthier than from a tin or pre-packed meals. Plus I do like cooking for some reason, although i am definitely no masterchef

How's your fitness regime going by the way?

12SOUP Empty Re: SOUP on Sun Feb 26 2012, 21:51

bwfc71

bwfc71
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo
@Natasha Whittam wrote:
@bwfc71 wrote:

How's your fitness regime going by the way?

quite good, to be fair, going to gym at least 5 days a week and spending over 2 hoursat a time, weights, sit ups, crouches, cross trainer etc etc. definitely redefinig the fat into muscle. Weekends don't help, though, as out most Friday evenings until about 3am and end up with a Turkish pizza or shoarma and same on Saturdays for the footie and then after-parties. But stay in on Sundays nowadays, with the girlriend and thats when we prapre the food for the week ahead - true teamwork:D

13SOUP Empty Re: SOUP on Sun Feb 26 2012, 22:03

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin
Borscht - (Beetroot soup).

Don't pull faces until you've tried it - it's lovely.

14SOUP Empty Re: SOUP on Sun Feb 26 2012, 22:05

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
@bwfc71 wrote:

quite good, to be fair, going to gym at least 5 days a week and spending over 2 hoursat a time, weights, sit ups, crouches, cross trainer etc etc. definitely redefinig the fat into muscle. Weekends don't help, though, as out most Friday evenings until about 3am and end up with a Turkish pizza or shoarma and same on Saturdays for the footie and then after-parties. But stay in on Sundays nowadays, with the girlriend and thats when we prapre the food for the week ahead - true teamwork:D

It sounds like a happy ending after all your troubles. I'm pleased for you.

15SOUP Empty Re: SOUP on Sun Feb 26 2012, 22:06

@Sluffy wrote:Borscht - (Beetroot soup).

that sounds quite horrible!

16SOUP Empty Re: SOUP on Sun Feb 26 2012, 22:07

bwfc71

bwfc71
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo
@Natasha Whittam wrote:
@bwfc71 wrote:

It sounds like a happy ending after all your troubles. I'm pleased for you.

Yep, just need my business to start bring the money in, otherwise I will need to look for another job. But apart from that all is good in the Barnes-Ewing household.

17SOUP Empty Re: SOUP on Sun Feb 26 2012, 22:12

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin
Good for you Chris - you deserve a bit of happiness for a change.

18SOUP Empty Re: SOUP on Sun Feb 26 2012, 22:18

bwfc71

bwfc71
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo
@Sluffy wrote:Borscht - (Beetroot soup).

It is nice soup:D

And thanks for the kind words, Sluffy, it has been a hell of a 2 years which culminated mid of last year which I have never mentioned (although a couple of people on here do know), but then things have been good Very Happy

19SOUP Empty Re: SOUP on Sun Feb 26 2012, 22:26

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
@bwfc71 wrote:
And thanks for the kind words, Sluffy, it has been a hell of a 2 years which culminated mid of last year which I have never mentioned (although a couple of people on here do know), but then things have been good Very Happy

What has this got to do with soup?

20SOUP Empty Re: SOUP on Sun Feb 26 2012, 22:33

bwfc71

bwfc71
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo
@Natasha Whittam wrote:
@bwfc71 wrote:

What has this got to do with soup?

Because its normal everyday life and where did that ultimately begin - primordial soup!!

Laughing

21SOUP Empty Re: SOUP on Sun Feb 26 2012, 23:24

Copper Dragon

Copper Dragon
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo
Carrot and Ginger

I bang a bit of curry powder in it to make it my soup. cheers

22SOUP Empty Re: SOUP on Mon Feb 27 2012, 16:12

gloswhite

gloswhite
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha
Lobster bisque, by Baxters. Takes some getting used to, but its ok, and Asparagus aint too bad either. Tomato has to be the all-time best though.

23SOUP Empty Re: SOUP on Mon Feb 27 2012, 21:02

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington
Natasha - never buy tinned soup - this is where you are going wrong.

Buy fresh soups from the supermarket instead. Try the Glorious soup range.

SOUP 6a00d8345250f069e2013482c9a856970c-550wi

They used to be tied in with Marco Pierre White, the poncy chef. The Sunny Thai Chicken is absolutely incredible.

In general, my favourite soups are mushroom, leek and potato, or if I am going for a Chinese, chicken and sweetcorn.

24SOUP Empty Re: SOUP on Mon Feb 27 2012, 21:34

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Il Padrino wrote:Natasha - never buy tinned soup - this is where you are going wrong.

Ok, I have added two fresh Waitrose soups to my home delivery order tomorrow. If they're crap you owe me £3.

25SOUP Empty Re: SOUP on Mon Feb 27 2012, 21:44

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington
I've never shopped at - or even been in - a Waitrose in my life, so I have no idea if their stuff is worth the inflated prices.

I'm surprised Daubhill, where you probably live, is in their delivery footprint.

26SOUP Empty Re: SOUP on Mon Feb 27 2012, 21:45

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse
Daubhill? Never heard of it. Is this a posh suberb of Bolton?

27SOUP Empty Re: SOUP on Mon Feb 27 2012, 21:52

bwfc71

bwfc71
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo
Il Padrino wrote:I've never shopped at - or even been in - a Waitrose in my life, so I have no idea if their stuff is worth the inflated prices.

So you have never shopped in the mini-food hall in Boots Manchester or even the Waitrose to go in Manchester?

I even shop there when in town - you do pay for what you get, their food is probably the best around.

28SOUP Empty Re: SOUP on Mon Feb 27 2012, 22:47

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington
@bwfc71 wrote:
Il Padrino wrote:I've never shopped at - or even been in - a Waitrose in my life, so I have no idea if their stuff is worth the inflated prices.

So you have never shopped in the mini-food hall in Boots Manchester or even the Waitrose to go in Manchester?

I even shop there when in town - you do pay for what you get, their food is probably the best around.

I used to work in Manchester and occasionally would go in the Boots on Cross Street, opposite the Corn Exchange, and get the meal deal for my lunch, which ws very good value, it was a decent sandwich or a wrap, a flapjack and a 500ml drink for £2.99. If you're telling me Waitrose supply the food fair enough but I never noticed any Waitrose branding anywhere in the store or on the packaging.

I don't believe I've ever noticed a Waitrose to go in Manchester, though that M&S Simply Food on the corner of Piccadilly Gardens and Moseley Street is awesome, but who wants to spend £5-6 a day on lunch? You go to work to make money, not spend it.

29SOUP Empty Re: SOUP on Mon Feb 27 2012, 22:52

bwfc71

bwfc71
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo
Don't know how long but the Boots food is now a Waitrose concession and is Waitrose branded.

The Waitrose to go is on Bridge Street - in fact it replaces the old newsagents which used to occupy the space in the office block that had Manchester Building Society (now been a bit polished up and now claims to be part of the Spinningfields development).

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum