Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Remember when...

+7
doffcocker
Mr Magoo
Michael Bolton
Boggersbelief
waynagain
Hipster_Nebula
scottjames30
11 posters

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Remember when... Empty Remember when... Tue 20 Aug - 12:04

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

We used to have players like Campo, Okocha, Stelios, Nolan and Youri.

Those were the days when the players had passion like the fans, I wish we could go back to them days.

2Remember when... Empty Re: Remember when... Tue 20 Aug - 12:44

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

We'll never be that good again, ever (unless we get a takeover)

so enjoy those memories.

3Remember when... Empty Re: Remember when... Tue 20 Aug - 12:45

waynagain

waynagain
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

Sorry to tell you this, but most of those players only came to Bolton for the money. They were great for Bolton, but you would have to go back a good few years more to find players who had the same kind of passion that the 'loyal' fans have.

4Remember when... Empty Re: Remember when... Tue 20 Aug - 15:09

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Wayn, those players had us flirting with the champions league places, I don't care about passion if that's    the position we're in.

5Remember when... Empty Re: Remember when... Tue 20 Aug - 19:12

Michael Bolton

Michael Bolton
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

scottjames30 wrote:We used to have players like Campo, Okocha, Stelios, Nolan and Youri.

Those were the days when the players had passion like the fans, I wish we could go back to them days.
Wonderful times. I miss Nolan, okocha and stelios particularly. 
Doesn't it feel like all that good work the club did in progressing and becoming an established top flight club has been flushed down the lav?

6Remember when... Empty Re: Remember when... Tue 20 Aug - 19:38

Mr Magoo

Mr Magoo
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

I used to enjoy watching David lee run his socks off, o and sassa with his big nose.

7Remember when... Empty Re: Remember when... Tue 20 Aug - 20:26

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Michael Bolton wrote:
scottjames30 wrote:We used to have players like Campo, Okocha, Stelios, Nolan and Youri.

Doesn't it feel like all that good work the club did in progressing and becoming an established top flight club has been flushed down the lav?
It was flushed (basically) when Gartside and the board decided against a thoughtful search for a new manager after Big Sam left.

appointing Sammy Lee was the catalyst for where we are now.

8Remember when... Empty Re: Remember when... Tue 20 Aug - 20:28

waynagain

waynagain
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

Boggersbelief wrote:Wayn, those players had us flirting with the champions league places, I don't care about passion if that's    the position we're in.
Like I said, they were great for Bolton, but the thread was about 'passion' for the club and the person who had most passion when those players were at Bolton was the Manager!!!  (something we've not seen in a manager since)

9Remember when... Empty Re: Remember when... Tue 20 Aug - 20:30

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Megson didn't have any passion for the club, that was probably because of the acerbic relationship he had with the fans.

i do think Coyle had passion for the club honestly but his reign proved that it really means squat at the end of the day.

what you need at a club like this is tactical nous and a eye for undervalued talent.

Sam had both of them in spades.

10Remember when... Empty Re: Remember when... Tue 20 Aug - 20:51

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Some of the players from that era can't praise the club enough. I've not seen many Nolan interviews where he doesn't refer to his Bolton days with pride. Campo worships the place, just look at the letter he wrote to the BEN. Djorkaeff often said he loved Bolton and the fans. Okocha clearly had an excellent rapport with the fans.
Some have played up and down the country since yet elected to continue living in the town, such as Faye and Diouf.

11Remember when... Empty Re: Remember when... Tue 20 Aug - 21:20

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

A lot of the players being mentioned were characters though. Where are the characters nowadays?

12Remember when... Empty Re: Remember when... Wed 21 Aug - 11:29

terenceanne

terenceanne
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

One minor diference is that those players also had football skill ..... 

Good ol Nobby has done well at West Ham.  Better than most of us would have thought I'll wager.

13Remember when... Empty Re: Remember when... Thu 22 Aug - 6:58

Triumph

Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

Natasha Whittam wrote:A lot of the players being mentioned were characters though. Where are the characters nowadays?
Only one to mention is Spearing.

14Remember when... Empty Re: Remember when... Thu 22 Aug - 9:14

Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Michael Bolton wrote:

Never mind Mike you've got them Cockney cnuts now!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum