Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Palace fans on Dougie

+4
Natasha Whittam
Hipster_Nebula
Whitesince63
doffcocker
8 posters

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Palace fans on Dougie Empty Palace fans on Dougie Sun Sep 15 2013, 15:38

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

I got a big response last night when asking for words of comfort regarding Dougie, so thought I'd post them over.

stick wif him mate, he needs time....he's either a genius or a complete nutter but god knows he's a Palace legend and I still love him.....needs time.....
Yeah, I still love Dougie.... He just couldn't get on with the chairmen (IMO) just like Coppell didn't get on with Jordan.
However, I believe Holloway was the man for the playoffs and is doing us proud now.

Good luck Dougie, you're going to need it!
I think that LL shares Dougie's views on having the 2 DM's as a base of support and so I think they keep each other from allowing the team to be more expansive.

What I feel IH has done with Palace (albeit gradually) is to use the DMs as a shield for the CBs (rather than the whole defence) which allows the full backs to bomb on and provide width allowing our midfield unit to provide options throughout the middle. Essentially taking the base that DF had with us and looking to play on the offensive in a counter attacking way.

With Dougie, our few good runs aside, he was too content on defending and keeping shape etc rather than looking to go for it.

I'm not sure where it goes here for Bolton but it isn't looking like a successful pairing. He certainly won't get the level of support and time that he got here.
Sorry, none here.

His tactics at Palace literally made me question why I spend time and money following the club, such was his obsession in controlling everything and stifling nearly all self expression and creativity.

The problem I had with DF - and seems like he hasn't changed - is that he tried to be far too clever for a guy who was just a novice in the managerial game.
This time last year Zaha was on fire for us, turning defence into attack. Maybe Dougie was fortunate that a young player came thru from our academy who had such impact and made his management skills look better than they actually are? Dougie deserves some credit for our play during that winning run, but not all of it.
On the basis of one decent run of form, both he and some of the media decided he was the new management guru. I've no sympathy for Bolton owners who chased and unsettled a young manager under contract elsewhere, based on limited evidence. He was still inexperienced and many of us felt that Popovic helped him a lot the season before with defence coaching, and Lennie Lawrence in general too.
I think he's good at spotting talent, but as a manager his first priority seems to be trying not to lose rather than trying to win.
He could be a good manager in the future if he can lose the negativity but, let's face it, he was lucky that Murray was on fire, that Wilf came through at that time and that Popovic found Jedi. Despite all of that, most of the time I was bored witless with his style of play.
I feel for you.

I suspect that the real problem is Lennie Lawrence. Lennie is a very knowledgeable football man and always comes across well but his team at Cardiff and Charlton were ultra defensive, and that is what we got most of the time with him and Dougie at the helm at Palace.

Things changed after Dougie got a bollocking in the car park after a dismal defeat at Ashton Gate, but then he got lucky, really lucky. He brought in 5 new players, they all gelled almost instantly and faced with an attack or (face the) sack option he changed the tactics overnight and it worked and we went on a winning run.

And then he went to Bolton ..... and he seems to have reverted to Lennie's plan A.
Don't think Lennie is the issue; players played with freedom under him & Curtis as caretakers.

Freedman is simply an overthinker. When he reigns himself in, he may be a fine manager.
he cost us a trip to Wembley by being his usual negative self. Brilliant player for our club so have my respect but awful negative manager. Could find a player mind.
I have to save that I don't particulary enjoy seeing Dougie struggle, but then I never felt anything like the love many people did for him. Steve Coppell is the 1 and only CPFC Legend I've ever known. It is interesting to watch though.

A few days after he left I was at a wedding where loads of guys asked me about him, included 1 Bolton fan. I said it was a shitty time to leave us and didn't know who we'd be able to get to replace him but I really didn't believe he was anything like as good as he thought he was. I reminded them of what happenned when Dowie left us in a not too disimilar way.

I think the setback will be good for Dougie longterm. IMO his stubborness/ego is too dominant. He need his bubble to be burst and learn some humility. Ian Holloway said Leicester really shook him up and he really came out better for it.

All said, he has many attributes of a top manager, and can find his level. I suspect that he'd do well as a Director of Football somewhere, and maybe even as Scotland manager as one dimensional tactics would probably be better suited to that.

2Palace fans on Dougie Empty Re: Palace fans on Dougie Sun Sep 15 2013, 16:35

Whitesince63

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

So all in all based on the fact that leopards don't change spots everything I've been saying about him since he walked through the door confirmed by those who know him best. Basically not yet ready for this role so once again big fat Garty got it wrong. Well done Doffy for getting the responses to confirm he needs to be gone the sooner the better along with his collection of idiots.

3Palace fans on Dougie Empty Re: Palace fans on Dougie Sun Sep 15 2013, 16:39

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Good point he's not ready, not enough experience.

Know who does have enough though? Jimmy Phillips.

4Palace fans on Dougie Empty Re: Palace fans on Dougie Sun Sep 15 2013, 17:36

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

A couple saying he tries to be too clever. Quite right.

5Palace fans on Dougie Empty Re: Palace fans on Dougie Mon Sep 16 2013, 00:24

Bolton Nuts

Admin

Some of the things said by the Palace fans reflect my own concerns from before he took over with us. He had a couple of genius players who carried what looked like a negative team who had struggled but happened to go on a decent two month run of form just before Coyle got the push.

https://boltonnuts.forumotion.co.uk

6Palace fans on Dougie Empty Re: Palace fans on Dougie Mon Sep 16 2013, 08:17

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

You can tell that Dougie's first objective it to secure the defence and TBF it was needed after OC and there's always a case for building on strong foundations. However I don't think we have the players to play that style. Haven't seen any evidence of FBs "bombing on" as yet although if the Palace fan is right about his tactics you'd think it would be ideal for someone with pace to burn like White.
These comments also partially explain the lack of chances our forwards are getting.
To play with 2 DMs we in theory need very quick and very mobile forwards supported by quick FBs so the signings of Baptiste and Tierney seem to fly in the face of what the Palace fans are saying - either that or Dougie couldn't afford the players he'd really like in that role.

7Palace fans on Dougie Empty Re: Palace fans on Dougie Tue Sep 17 2013, 11:32

Jingizu99

Mario Jardel
Mario Jardel

And still with all this, and the bad start when he took over, we still managed to get within a hair of the play offs last season. How does that work?

8Palace fans on Dougie Empty Re: Palace fans on Dougie Tue Sep 17 2013, 11:36

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Jingizu99 wrote:And still with all this, and the bad start when he took over, we still managed to get within a hair of the play offs last season. How does that work?
Part of the reason is that he inherited a team that had been in the Premier League the previous season.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum