Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Freedman out or unbeaten in four - how do we feel?

+14
luckyPeterpiper
Whitesince63
observer
doffcocker
terenceanne
gloswhite
Natasha Whittam
aaron_bwfc
bryan458
karlypants
Reebok_Rebel
kennster
scottjames30
Sluffy
18 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 3]

bryan458

bryan458
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

I was takin about Darkside actually, but hey!!!!!

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I imagine Dougie doesn't go with 2 out and out strikers because when he did we got pummelled every week through lack of defensive cover. He has at least considerably reduced our defensive woes.
It could be viewed as negative but how does that stack up with e.g. Allardyce's tactics of playing with no strikers? Repeat: that is no strikers whatsoever.
He played 6 midfielders and won 3 nil away at Spurs.
How? By having midfielders that pass, move and rotate leaving defenders with nobody to mark and not knowing who will charge forward or when.
I think Dougie would like us to play in a similar style but unless they get their passing and movement together it simply won't work.
And that is the problem IMO.

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

luckyPeterpiper wrote:
Natasha Whittam wrote:Is part of the manager's role not to improve the players he has?

Yep but there's only so much anyone can do to accomplish that. Granted Dougie might not be getting the very best out of some of our players but they have to shoulder some responsibility for the lack of effort they showed ever since we dropped a division. 

I agree someone else might get more out of them but there's no guarantee of that and who here really believes another change of manager will really change our fortunes? Not to sound too argumentative but I'm not sure that anyone could make the players who don't want to play for us change their minds and the ones who aren't good enough can only be improved to a certain point before they hit what I shall call their 'talent ceiling' no matter who sits in the dugout. 

Sacking Dougie might bring a short term bounce but in the long run the same problems will exist until and unless something changes in our finances or we see the back of the nonperformers and replace them with players who are hungry and have some ability. If only it were that simple I hear you say. I agree it won't be easy but it can be done. We've been in far worse straits than this and come back stronger. We can do that again with patience and belief in the club as a whole rather than any one man.
All true IMO. 

This team needed blowing up in the worst possible way at the start of this season but a mixture of external pressures, expectations from the fans and the board (i suspect) and Dougies reluctance to place trust in a more youthful side have killed it.

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Looking at the form table we are mid table

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Not great, but at least we are higher in this table than the actual league table

Natasha Whittam wrote:Is part of the manager's role not to improve the players he has?
Definitely true, I'd say Mills, Ream, Pratley and Spearing have all improved under Freedman.

He needs to find a way of getting more out of our attacking options though. Once again I'd say give Hall a run in the team. I've only seen limited highlights, but his run before he got booked showed what he's capable of and we should have got a freekick at the end of it.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum