Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

David Wheater given more time to recover

+7
Boggersbelief
boltonbonce
wanderlust
terenceanne
Sluffy
Natasha Whittam
karlypants
11 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

WHITES defender David Wheater has been taken out of the firing line by boss Dougie Freedman in a bid to build up his strength.

The 26-year-old has not figured for the first team since the 3-1 defeat at Brighton last month, being an unused substitute at Blackpool and Birmingham.

Wanderers have gone five matches unbeaten since the loss at the Amex Stadium, with Freedman favouring a centre-back pairing of Matt Mills and Tim Ream.

But the manager insists Wheater’s recent absence is not solely down to his form or that of other defenders in the squad.

He believes it is right to give the Redcar-born centre-back the time he needs to get back in tip-top shape. Freedman said: “We feel he’s (Wheater) not really back to where he belongs.

“He’s had to come back out of the team, to get rehabilitated in the right way.

“It is being done to get him stronger and to continue to play games, week in week out.”

Wheater, who signed a two-year extension to his contract in the summer to run until 2016, began the season in the starting line-up after recovering from a cruciate knee ligament injury that sidelined him for virtually the whole of last season.

But he has struggled to rediscover the form that prompted Wanderers to fork out more than £2million for his services from Middlesbrough in January 2011.

He has played seven times this season and been on the losing side in four of those.

Freedman will hope more work away from the pitch, particularly while he has other options in defence, can reignite Wheater’s form and provide even more competition for places in the first-team.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Too slow, too shite. I can't believe the club gave him a new 2 year contract. Madness.

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Very odd?

Sounds to me more like he's thrown a strop.

How can you be fit enough to sit on the bench for a couple of weeks then next moment be withdrawn to get better 'rehabilitated'?

Sounds like utter bollocks to me.

Exactly what happened with Mills. Seems to be working with him, hope it does for Wheats.

terenceanne

terenceanne
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

How a couple of years makes a diference.  My Boro supporter pal said he was their best player when he came to us.  And after a few games with us and scoring a couple of goals he was being talked about an England call up......  now can't get into the team and most think he is a donkey.

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I remember when Middlesbrough had him and valued him at around £20Million at one stage.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

terenceanne wrote:How a couple of years makes a diference.  My Boro supporter pal said he was their best player when he came to us.  And after a few games with us and scoring a couple of goals he was being talked about an England call up......  now can't get into the team and most think he is a donkey.
He played for England at every level and was twice on the bench for full internationals under Capello but didn't get on the pitch.

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Not much use. The thinking man's Andy O'brien.

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

He's the white Danny Shittu, Slower than my nan and docile. Half decent in the air I guess, needs to go

kennster

kennster
Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka

Or Maybe Wheater is just a bit shit.

kennster

kennster
Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka

Boggersbelief wrote:He's the white Danny Shittu, Slower than my nan and docile. Half decent in the air I guess, needs to go
Danny Shittu is pretty good now, I'd have him back in a heartbeat.

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

kennster wrote:
Boggersbelief wrote:He's the white Danny Shittu, Slower than my nan and docile. Half decent in the air I guess, needs to go
I bet you thought he was pretty good when we signed him..

kennster

kennster
Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka

Boggersbelief wrote:
kennster wrote:
I bet you thought he was pretty good when we signed him..
Ok he was shite for us but he's been an excellent player at Millwall.

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Football fans are fickle. He's a waste of money and space now. A couple steady performances and that will all change. Look at Matt Mills and Tim Ream.

At his best, he's the best defender on the books.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

doffcocker wrote:Football fans are fickle. He's a waste of money and space now. A couple steady performances and that will all change. Look at Matt Mills and Tim Ream.

Stop WUMing you bellend.

He's way too slow to ever be of use to us.

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

For once I agree with nat, the way Danny ings left wheater behind on the first day was cringeworthy.

doffcocker wrote:Football fans are fickle. He's a waste of money and space now. A couple steady performances and that will all change. Look at Matt Mills and Tim Ream.
Agreed, it's laughable how fickle fans are. He's by no means a lost cause.

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I'm sure doffcocker always used to slate Kevin Davies?

kennster

kennster
Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka

bwfc1874 wrote:
Agreed, it's laughable how fickle fans are. He's by no means a lost cause.
WUM

Provided "the books" in question are "Learn How To Defend Like A Fucking Spastic" and "Defending For Clueless Twats."

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum