Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Burnden Memories???

+19
gloswhite
Alf Hooker
Sluffy
CAMPO
Soul Kitchen
wanderlust
White84
Copper Dragon
Reebok Trotter
rammywhite
JAH
Culcheth_White
wessy
boltonbonce
luckyPeterpiper
JohannesburgWanderer
Natasha Whittam
Hip Priest
Banks of the Croal
23 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

21Burnden Memories??? - Page 2 Empty Re: Burnden Memories??? Tue Nov 05 2013, 20:29

Culcheth_White

Culcheth_White
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

CAMPO wrote:
wanderlust wrote:
Reebok Trotter wrote:
rammywhite wrote:You're right. The game was abandoned at half time Every other game was abandoned before the start.
The referee was called Trelford Mills- I remember that as I thought it was a gormless name.
The guy who ran the line that day ended up working for Ramsbottom Kitchen Co.- he fitted our kitchen.
He told me that the Police asked for the game to be started then abandoned as if it was abandoned before the kick off  (and broadcast on radio) all the Everton fans would do U-turns on the East Lancs road and cause even more chaos.
Therefore they started knowing full well that the game would finish at half time.
And Reid ,knowing this, still broke his leg.
I don't know whether to believe the guy or not. But he was a damn good plumber
I think Reidy did his knee. It was a bad injury because he was out for nearly twelve months and we lost our most creative midfield player. They wouldn't play matches in those conditions nowadays.
Worst game (30 minutes approximately) of my life that one. I was 20 minutes late getting in due to the snow so watched Reid collide with Woods, missed our goal (Worthy?) saw their goal which came about because a back pass stuck in the snow (Bob Latchford maybe?), and then it was abandoned at half time so nobody got their money back.
I think we played in red strips which went down like a lead balloon but at least you could just about make out the players in a snow storm.
The game was in '79 and we ended selling Reid to Everton for a cut-down price of £60k in '82 which was set so low because of the injuries he had. The irony.
That's right wanderlust, Arsenal, I think, offered £600,000 for Reidy just before that injury and then he went for £60,000 after the knee ligament damage, still went on to play for Everton and England!! BWFC robbed again, all though he coud'nt bring down Marradonna in that World Cup game.
Could'nt get up the hill in Darcy Lever in our car after the game, was it Boxing Day or New Years Day?
I think it was 26th December 1979.

22Burnden Memories??? - Page 2 Empty Re: Burnden Memories??? Tue Nov 05 2013, 21:11

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Remember this cracker? 1976 5th rnd cup tie against Newcastle.

23Burnden Memories??? - Page 2 Empty Re: Burnden Memories??? Tue Nov 05 2013, 21:21

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

boltonbonce wrote:Remember this cracker? 1976 5th rnd cup tie against Newcastle.

Happy days. The atmosphere at Burnden back then was miles away from the sterile atmosphere of the Reebok. I much prefer away games now because all the Wanderers fans are together and the spirit seems so much better.

24Burnden Memories??? - Page 2 Empty Re: Burnden Memories??? Thu Nov 07 2013, 13:46

White84

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Agree only when standing is brought back will atmos come back again.You get told off for swearing on occasions and I'm not in the family stand.When Bogdan let that ball slip through his hands v Yeovil,i shoted"you useless ginger twat.Some oldish bloke said is there any need for that".I mean I don't walk round Effie n blinding every other word.But what you supposed to say "unlucky ginge better look next time.You work all week and Football lets you expend a little bit of aggression after working your bollox of for we'll not much.Now you have to watch your P's n Q's.Amazing.

25Burnden Memories??? - Page 2 Empty Re: Burnden Memories??? Thu Nov 07 2013, 15:32

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

In the seating area above the tunnel was a man who always took his dog (the 60's). You could often see or hear it at various points in the game. Any other older nutters remember it?

26Burnden Memories??? - Page 2 Empty Re: Burnden Memories??? Thu Nov 07 2013, 23:42

Banks of the Croal

Banks of the Croal
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

boltonbonce I cant see the Newcastle video but I presume it's the 3-3 draw, famous for the Macdonald goal?

I was looking for a video of the Sunderland game in the 70's cracking game Allardyce scored for both teams and we won 2-1,over 40,000 on and we weren't even in Div 1/Prem back then.

BTW that's what gave me the reason to post this thread, that Sunderland game is out there somewhere.

27Burnden Memories??? - Page 2 Empty Re: Burnden Memories??? Fri Nov 08 2013, 05:53

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Remember it well Banks,I think John Byrom scored the winner. Pity the Reebok can't match the atmosphere. In fact,a lot of the younger supporters near me spend most of the match texting.

28Burnden Memories??? - Page 2 Empty Re: Burnden Memories??? Fri Nov 08 2013, 06:52

JAH

JAH
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

That's because some of our play especially at home has been dismally boring

29Burnden Memories??? - Page 2 Empty Re: Burnden Memories??? Fri Nov 08 2013, 09:40

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Reebok Trotter wrote:
boltonbonce wrote:Remember this cracker? 1976 5th rnd cup tie against Newcastle.
Happy days. The atmosphere at Burnden back then was miles away from the sterile atmosphere of the Reebok. I much prefer away games now because all the Wanderers fans are together and the spirit seems so much better.
I may be going daft in my old age here but didn't Alan Gowling play for us in about '78 or so? Am I thinking about someone else? I can't recall knowing as a child that he'd played for the barcode boys. Then again back then they weren't barcode boys because we didn't use barcodes. Dad took me to matches on the family Brontosaurus. lol!

30Burnden Memories??? - Page 2 Empty Re: Burnden Memories??? Fri Nov 08 2013, 11:12

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Gowling did indeed play for Bolton. As well as the barcodes he also played for Manure.

31Burnden Memories??? - Page 2 Empty Re: Burnden Memories??? Fri Nov 08 2013, 11:16

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Yes Gowling played for us - up front with Frank Worthington

Happy days!

32Burnden Memories??? - Page 2 Empty Re: Burnden Memories??? Fri Nov 08 2013, 12:00

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Anyone remember Gareth Williams? He had a sports shop on Little Hulton shopping centre,though it didn't last long. I always remember him as a great passer of the ball,but,by today's standards a bit on the chunky side. Good player though.

33Burnden Memories??? - Page 2 Empty Re: Burnden Memories??? Fri Nov 08 2013, 12:02

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Sluffy wrote:Yes Gowling played for us - up front with Frank Worthington

Happy days!
Thanks sluffy and trotter; I was sure I remembered the name as one of ours. Ian Greaves was the manager at the time and we went up to Div 1 thanks to a superb strike from Frank against Blackburn. God, was it really thirty plus years ago? I feel very old.affraid

34Burnden Memories??? - Page 2 Empty Re: Burnden Memories??? Fri Nov 08 2013, 12:03

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

The name rings a bell but he was before my time. There was a former Wanderer who ran a paper shop in the town centre for a number of years. Ray Parry?

35Burnden Memories??? - Page 2 Empty Re: Burnden Memories??? Fri Nov 08 2013, 12:09

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Christ I feel old. Saw Ray parry play. Mind you I was only about 6.

36Burnden Memories??? - Page 2 Empty Re: Burnden Memories??? Fri Nov 08 2013, 12:34

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

boltonbonce wrote:Anyone remember Gareth Williams? He had a sports shop on Little Hulton shopping centre,though it didn't last long. I always remember him as a great passer of the ball,but,by today's standards a bit on the chunky side. Good player though.
Yes I remember Williams.

I think we had just sold Franny Lee and with the money brought in Gareth and Terry Wharton.

Should have kept Lee.

Ridding out!

37Burnden Memories??? - Page 2 Empty Re: Burnden Memories??? Fri Nov 08 2013, 12:45

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Remember Terry Wharton well,a Bolton born lad. They were happy days. Think the great Charlie Hurley played for us round about then too.

38Burnden Memories??? - Page 2 Empty Re: Burnden Memories??? Fri Nov 08 2013, 12:49

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

Slightly afterwards.

Jimmy Armfield brought him in along with three lads from Blackpool one of them being Peter Nicholson. Then Peter Thompson and Tony Dunne.

Hurley was a great player but his best days had gone by the time we got him.

Not the case with Thompson and Dunne though - great, great players for us.

39Burnden Memories??? - Page 2 Empty Re: Burnden Memories??? Fri Nov 08 2013, 13:19

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I remember Rudge Breadman. Piss poor,though I remember him scoring in an 8-1 stuffing of Walsall. Think we were in the old 3rd division at the time.

40Burnden Memories??? - Page 2 Empty Re: Burnden Memories??? Fri Nov 08 2013, 13:26

boltonbonce wrote:I remember Rudge Breadman. Piss poor,though I remember him scoring in an 8-1 stuffing of Walsall. Think we were in the old 3rd division at the time.
Wrong thread....? Very Happy

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum