Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Possession

+6
luckyPeterpiper
terenceanne
Natasha Whittam
Copper Dragon
Angry Dad
Bolton Nuts
10 posters

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Possession Empty Possession Wed Nov 06 2013, 11:50

Bolton Nuts

Admin

Against Bournmouth, in our 2-0 win, we had 36% possession.

In most games, the team with the most possession also turns out to be the winner. But how much does it matter?

Do we need to be keeping the ball more to get wins or has Dougie got a plan?

https://boltonnuts.forumotion.co.uk

2Possession Empty Re: Possession Wed Nov 06 2013, 11:53

Angry Dad

Angry Dad
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

Long as we win i dont care about possession and i do think DF has a plan fuck knows what it is though.

3Possession Empty Re: Possession Wed Nov 06 2013, 11:59

Bolton Nuts

Admin

I usually think possession maters, however, there are exceptions. If done right, a team can (in Dougie's words) dominate the game without the ball. To a lot of people this could sound like crazy talk - and it might yet be in Dougie's case - but then again, he might be onto something.

A lot of teams lose games through making mistakes and being disorganised. If Dougie can get our men concentrating and being fully professional for a full 90 minutes then that could be the key. It's hard to explain what I mean so I'll use the best example I can think of...

When my football team won the league, unbeaten all season, we were not the best players in the league, not the fastest, not the best finishers. However we were organised. At a guess we probably had about 25% per game in terms of possession. The difference between us and other teams was that we didn't get carried away, we didn't go on crazy runs. If we lost the ball we didn't go diving in, or get desperate to have the ball back. We simply reorganised, defended as a unit and let them have the ball. We only made a challenge if they were shooting from close range. Other than that we waited. They would pass the ball all day long, and we waited. Eventually, and this happened to every team, they got frusrated. They started getting more urgent, and then the mistakes happen. They would push and push and push us. Then we would break. There were teams winning 5,6,7, - 0 sometimes but when they played us we would win 1-0 - having dominated without the ball.

https://boltonnuts.forumotion.co.uk

4Possession Empty Re: Possession Wed Nov 06 2013, 12:48

Copper Dragon

Copper Dragon
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

As someone who follows a team that Howe used to manage I feel qualified to comment.

You'll notice that Bournemouth will always have a high possession percentage and that's because Howe likes his slow build up play, his defenders and midfielders will pass it about between one another and not even cross the halfway line.

Sideways backwards, sideways backwards.

5Possession Empty Re: Possession Wed Nov 06 2013, 12:58

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

We aren't good enough to keep possession, I'd be amazed if any team in this league had given the ball away more times than us. If we had a midfielder who could pass we'd be quite dangerous.

6Possession Empty Re: Possession Wed Nov 06 2013, 13:07

Possession stats are over valued by many fans. There's very little to be taken from them other than the obvious. Swansea had more possession than Cardiff on Sunday nobody could claim they were the better side. Same about us and Bournemouth by all accounts and Stoke haven't dominated possession in many games since they got promoted but have been relatively successful.

7Possession Empty Re: Possession Wed Nov 06 2013, 13:08

terenceanne

terenceanne
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Biggie wrote:Against Bournmouth, in our 2-0 win, we had 36% possession.

In most games, the team with the most possession also turns out to be the winner. But how much does it matter?

You said it yourself ..... generally the team with most possession wins it. That team has the ball creates more chances and controls the game. You see it every week when Arsenal, City etc ...have most of the play but still get beat occasionally. But over the course of the season the results fall to the team with most possession.
Notice that we rarely have the stats on our side.....last time I checked we were close to bottom in our division. Letting the other team have the ball is not a sound strategy....IMO

8Possession Empty Re: Possession Wed Nov 06 2013, 13:14

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

terenceanne wrote:
Biggie wrote:Against Bournmouth, in our 2-0 win, we had 36% possession.

You said it yourself ..... generally the team with most possession wins it. That team has the ball creates more chances and controls the game. You see it every week when Arsenal, City etc ...have most of the play but still get beat occasionally. But over the course of the season the results fall to the team with most possession.
Notice that we rarely have the stats on our side.....last time I checked we were close to bottom in our division. Letting the other team have the ball is not a sound strategy....IMO
It works IF you have a defence that can soak up pressure and a midfield that knows how to use the ball when they have it BUT in the long run only a few clubs have the players to get away with it permanently. That said I personally am getting pretty flaming bored with peeople bemoaning the possession stat in a game we WON 2-0 because you'd think that we'd lost. Are we really so desperate for something to moan about that we have to dive into OPTA to say 'hey we were crap really, never mind the fact we scored two decent goals and that the defence had its best performance all season. We lost the match on possession so we must still be rubbish.' Damn it people, that win was a good one and a step in the right direction; surely we should be looking for things to be positive about and take heart from in a 2-0 win against a side with one of the best home records in the division. I don't know if Dougie is the right man for this job in the long run but to look for things to condemn after a performance like that is seriously negative.

9Possession Empty Re: Possession Wed Nov 06 2013, 13:25

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

LuckyPeterPiper is quite correct. Ultimately, OPTA stats win you nothing. It's goals and clean sheets that count.

10Possession Empty Re: Possession Wed Nov 06 2013, 14:30

Keegan

Keegan
Admin

The stat I like is the one where we score 1 goal more than the other team.

https://forum.boltonnuts.co.uk

11Possession Empty Re: Possession Wed Nov 06 2013, 17:19

observer

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Keegan wrote:The stat I like is the one where we score 1 goal more than the other team.
Give us a clean sheet and the rest will take care of itself.  Happy that Lonergan had a clean sheet this week... happy that we won... Case Closed... on to next week and another clean sheet hopefully.

12Possession Empty Re: Possession Wed Nov 06 2013, 19:51

NickFazer

NickFazer
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Possessions are fleeting.

13Possession Empty Re: Possession Wed Nov 06 2013, 20:04

Stoke finished bottom or second bottom every year for the past 5 years in the premier league. Good possession often comes as a result of winning, rather than the other way around.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum