Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

No added sugar

+9
wanderlust
rammywhite
Angry Dad
Mr Magoo
BoltonTillIDie
karlypants
aaron_bwfc
Reebok Trotter
doffcocker
13 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1No added sugar Empty No added sugar Wed Nov 13 2013, 17:15

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

I was choosing some cordial for myself at the supermarket today, and couldn't believe the amount I wanted to try that weren't available with added sugar.

I just don't do "diet/light" anything. Sweetener tastes like shit, it leaves a horrible taste and I'm unconvinced that it's any healthier anyhow. It's been shown that sugar free drinks come with their own health risks and aren't ultimately a solution for obesity. Incidentally, I'm in decent shape (teeth and all) despite living off sugary drinks.

Do you go straight for the "healthier" option or do you share my scepticism?

2No added sugar Empty Re: No added sugar Wed Nov 13 2013, 17:23

Having worked in the food manufacturing industry for most of the last 20 years, let me tell you that it's a fucking big con.

95% fat free still means it's 5% fat, which is a lot.

People buy Wholemeal bread because they're told it's better for you than white.

But it's absolute bollocks because it's rammed full of sugar and malt extract for colouring (which white bread isn't).

Stick with the full-fat option but have less of it.

And low sugar drinks are a con because the industry sets its own standards, so to be lower in sugar that the normal stuff, it only has to be about 3% less, so it's still invariably full of sugar.

3No added sugar Empty Re: No added sugar Wed Nov 13 2013, 18:14

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Diet Coke tastes like shit and anyone who prefers saccharin in their tea instead of sugar must have no taste buds. Sweeteners ruin a cup of tea.

4No added sugar Empty Re: No added sugar Wed Nov 13 2013, 18:46

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc

Reebok Trotter wrote:Diet Coke tastes like shit and anyone who prefers saccharin in their tea instead of sugar must have no taste buds. Sweeteners ruin a cup of tea.
Diet Coke and Coke are EXACTLY the same, no difference what so ever.

If i've been told right Diet Coke is aimed at women whilst Coke is aimed more towards men.

5No added sugar Empty Re: No added sugar Wed Nov 13 2013, 18:47

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

aaron_bwfc wrote:

If i've been told right Diet Coke is aimed at women whilst Coke is aimed more towards men.
They taste different. I can't stand Diet Coke. I prefer my Coke neat.

6No added sugar Empty Re: No added sugar Wed Nov 13 2013, 18:51

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc

I've never been a fan of Coke to be honest, a guy who I used to work with used to work for Coca-Cola and told me their is nothing different between the two apart from the odd ingredient, but it shouldn't be called Diet with what's in it.

Can't figure out why they taste different though.

7No added sugar Empty Re: No added sugar Wed Nov 13 2013, 18:53

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

aaron_bwfc wrote:
Reebok Trotter wrote:Diet Coke tastes like shit and anyone who prefers saccharin in their tea instead of sugar must have no taste buds. Sweeteners ruin a cup of tea.

I think your getting confused with Coke and Coke zero as these both taste the same where as diet coke tastes totally different.

You are right with the fact that diet coke is aimed at the ladies, although I quite like the taste of it every now and again. Smile

8No added sugar Empty Re: No added sugar Wed Nov 13 2013, 19:12

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc

I like the taste of the ladies too Karly. Laughing 

9No added sugar Empty Re: No added sugar Wed Nov 13 2013, 19:25

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

aaron_bwfc wrote:I like the taste of the ladies too Karly. Laughing 
lol! 

10No added sugar Empty Re: No added sugar Wed Nov 13 2013, 19:34

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I look at the calories to judge the "healthiness".  I drink flavoured sparkling water nowadays.

11No added sugar Empty Re: No added sugar Wed Nov 13 2013, 19:40

Mr Magoo

Mr Magoo
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

FAGGOT

12No added sugar Empty Re: No added sugar Wed Nov 13 2013, 20:26

BoltonTillIDie wrote:I look at the calories to judge the "healthiness".  I drink flavoured sparkling water nowadays.
That's probably one of the worst things you can drink (apart from bleach and engine oil, obviously), 'cos it's got just as much, if not more sugar in it than normal pop.

It's the uber-con of all health food cons.

13No added sugar Empty Re: No added sugar Wed Nov 13 2013, 20:43

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

But it only has 4 calories in a whole bottle

14No added sugar Empty Re: No added sugar Wed Nov 13 2013, 21:22

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Diet Coke and Coke taste very different, but you definitely notice these things more, the more of it you drink. Coke Zero is a bit closer to the proper thing, yet still not near as satisfying.
If my own research is to be believed, taste is just one half of it, in that by drinking diet fizzy drinks, you're not satisfying the body's craving for sugar, and will only seek it from other sources instead. It's also believed that some sweeteners are appetite stimulants. I once saw a programme where they got half a rugby team to drink regular coke after a match and the other half diet. They were then told to eat what they wanted from a buffet, noting everything that they ate. The half that had drunk regular coke ate significantly less than those that had drunk diet.

15No added sugar Empty Re: No added sugar Wed Nov 13 2013, 21:27

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

doffcocker wrote:Diet Coke and Coke taste very different, but you definitely notice these things more, the more of it you drink. Coke Zero is a bit closer to the proper thing, yet still not near as satisfying.
If my own research is to be believed, taste is just one half of it, in that by drinking diet fizzy drinks, you're not satisfying the body's craving for sugar, and will only seek it from other sources instead. It's also believed that some sweeteners are appetite stimulants. I once saw a programme where they got half a rugby team to drink regular coke after a match and the other half diet. They were then told to eat what they wanted from a buffet, noting everything that they ate. The half that had drunk regular coke ate significantly less than those that had drunk diet.
Exactly! Your body knows when it is lacking in something. Years ago, if you ever took ill in hospital friends and family always brought you Lucozade but nowadays it's frowned upon because it's high in sugar.

I tend to drink sparkling water more than anything else but a bottle of cold Lucozade orange doesn't half quench your thirst.

16No added sugar Empty Re: No added sugar Thu Nov 14 2013, 10:02

BoltonTillIDie wrote:But it only has 4 calories in a whole bottle

Have a read for yourself:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1358999/The-healthy-flavoured-water-sugar-doughnuts.html

17No added sugar Empty Re: No added sugar Thu Nov 14 2013, 10:49

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

The water I drink contains no added sugar and uses sweeteners (acesulfame K & Sucralose)

consuming non-nutritive sweeteners is probably not bad for you, but not necessarily good for you either, but at times useful!

But surely much better than drinking a full fat coke

18No added sugar Empty Re: No added sugar Thu Nov 14 2013, 14:26

Angry Dad

Angry Dad
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

When i feel a bit low i drink a pint of San Izal.

19No added sugar Empty Re: No added sugar Thu Nov 14 2013, 16:14

rammywhite

rammywhite
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

I suppose Irn Bru is out of the question then?

20No added sugar Empty Re: No added sugar Thu Nov 14 2013, 16:43

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I drink loads of "zero" coke/pepsi and it tastes fine especially with a triple vodka in it or a single malt on the side.
Managed to maintain my weight at a healthy 12 and a half stone for the last 3 years despite rampant alcoholism and other such naughtiness.

Coke snobs get right up my nose.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum