Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Dougie Freedman keen to send more Bolton youngsters out on loan

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Dougie Freedman will send some of Bolton's younger players out on loan when the window re-opens as he bids to alter the club's philosophy on youth development.
The former Crystal Palace boss has experience of bringing on players such as England cap Wilfried Zaha and admits he has been stunned that his current club have failed to do likewise in recent years.
Excluding current Chelsea centre-back Gary Cahill, who they purchased from Aston Villa anyway, the Trotters have largely failed to groom the next generation of talent and have instead relied on buying players.
It is something Freedman is determined to change, a process he intends to start by finding loan spots for those in the Under-21 squad next month.
"The football club has never been a training club; it's never been a club where you train players," he explained.
"I can't quite understand why it wouldn't be. With my business head on, I want it to be a training club.
"The young players at this football club - the Under-21s especially - if they're not going to make the first team then they've got to be loaned out and a little bit of money has got to be brought back in for the next crop of players coming through.
"There's another mindset to it for the players put out on loan to then get some experience to come back to play for the team. You're never going to find out until you send them on loan."
Wanderers' first-team squad is relatively small in comparison to some Sky Bet Championship clubs, but Freedman's assertion that players will exit via loans could see the likes of Josh Vela, Cian Bolger and Jay Lynch farmed out.
"I believe the club has been guilty in the past of not being a training club and not being a club who would loan players for either of the two benefits," Freedman added.
"As last year, there will be a lot of younger players going out on loan from the 21s to go and grow up a little bit, play men's football and then we'll decide next year if they're going to be good enough to be in the first-team squad, or we'll recoup some money and let them have a career."

(SKY)

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Lynch, Vela and Bolger. I guess these are the ones not considered ready yet. Maybe that implies that White and Odelusi are being kept around as they are or will be ready soon?

rammywhite

rammywhite
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

wanderlust wrote:Lynch, Vela and Bolger. I guess these are the ones not considered ready yet. Maybe that implies that White and Odelusi are being kept around as they are or will be ready soon?

Why Vela? He's been on the bench a few times.

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

wanderlust wrote:Maybe that implies that White and Odelusi are being kept around as they are or will be ready soon?

Nobody will be ready, ever.

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Dougie you clueless fucker!!!

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

rammywhite wrote:
wanderlust wrote:Lynch, Vela and Bolger. I guess these are the ones not considered ready yet. Maybe that implies that White and Odelusi are being kept around as they are or will be ready soon?

Why Vela? He's been on the bench a few times.
I know!
Seen him twice, first time great, second time a disaster.
Josh definitely needs to step up. He's shown he's capable, so maybe some game time on loan will help.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum