Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Overated and Underated Bands or singers and musicians.

+7
xmiles
Natasha Whittam
wanderlust
largehat
Reebok Trotter
bwfc71
Angry Dad
11 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

All of "brit pop" was incredibly overrated. Turgid shite IMO.

Calvin Harris must be the most overrated pile of crap going at the moment. He is stealing a living from music.

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I like Adele but she is a bit like a clone of Alf Moyet from the early eighties. Andy Bell and Erasure were very good.

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I like Adele but she is a bit like a clone of Alf Moyet from the early eighties. Andy Bell and Erasure were very good.

This is a song for Magoo from a very underrated singer.

https://youtu.be/HbjGtFnzWvg

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Hipster_Nebula wrote:All of "brit pop" was incredibly overrated. Turgid shite IMO.

Calvin Harris must be the most overrated pile of crap going at the moment. He is stealing a living from music.

Ahh turgid, another member of my misused words list. It means swollen or bloated or bombastic.

Anyway, how can you write off all of Brit pop? Dozens of bands.

Pulp - Different Class is one of the best British albums ever.

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I just looked it up in the dictionary out of interest and it says this: tediously pompous or bombastic, but you're right i didn't really know Swollen bit. Habitual use.

I write it off out of opinion honestly, i just hate indie music and i've never understood it. So to me it's overrated.

Pulp, not for me I'm afraid.

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Morrissey. Turgid pap or lyrical genius ? You decide...

https://youtu.be/DRtW1MAZ32M

Overated: Oasis, Blur, James, Prodigy, Happy Mondays

Underated: Belinda Carlisle & Betty Boo

Let the mocking begin.

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Of course that song is a work of genius, but I don't think The Smiths are generally considered to be part of the Brit Pop movement that Hipster Nebula is criticising. It's a broad term I know, but generally, it's thought that the Stone Roses and Happy Mondays kicked it off.

I don't see how anyone can credibly claim Stone Roses, Happy Mondays, Pulp, Blur, The Verve, Black Grape, Oasis etc were all crap.

Maybe I am getting confused. Generally with music, if I don't like or appreciate something, I say I don't like or appreciate it, rather than write it off as overrated. It's such a subjective thing.

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Yeah if you want to strip it back to semantics i guess you're right.

but generally when a lot of people love something and you can't stand it you say "oh thats so overrated" I.E a lot of people rate it, and you don't believe they should. Same with footballers or art or anything.

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

This guy was very underrated. Nowadays he would have been arrested. Dirty bastard. How times have changed.

https://youtu.be/neyxTyWaJdI

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

xmiles wrote:
wanderlust wrote:Sad to say, I have a Spirit album and they also appear on Fill Your Head With Rock which was a CBS sampler from the early 70s which I also have.
Liked the sampler albums just for their randomness. FYHWR also had Leaonard Cohen, Lauro Nyro, Blood Sweat and Tears and Santana on it as I recall - a bit of something for everyone.

Nice to know I'm not alone here. Which one do you have?

FTHWR was the third sampler album CBS released. The first and second were The Rock Machine Turns You On and Rock Machine I Love You. Wikipedia has the details if you are interested.

CBS actually brought a number of these acts over to promote them and I remember seeing Santana top a bill with Taj Mahal and It's a Beautiful Day at the Royal Albert Hall in London.
The Spirit album is "Spirit" - think it was their first.
I got quite into a few of the acts on FYHWR and have seen quite a few - including Steamhammer who were on with Trapeze and Van der Graaf at the Castle on Crompton Way.
And I confess to listening to my extensive Leonard Cohen collection when the mood takes me! Sad
Plus Santana of course.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

doffcocker wrote:Overrated: Oasis (incredibly so), Kasabian, Kaiser Chiefs.

Underrated: Eels, Suede, Smashing Pumpkins, The Horrors.

For years I didn't like Oasis, but mainly this was because they were ripping off 60s bands and Gallagher comes across as a twat although I've never met him personally. However I think I forgave them when they faded from the public view and must admit that I quite like to listen to some of their songs from time to time (as long as they're buried in a playlist as opposed to listening to a whole album) At the end of the day, there are some good tunes in there albeit recycled.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Reebok Trotter wrote:Morrissey. Turgid pap or lyrical genius ? You decide...

https://youtu.be/DRtW1MAZ32M
The Smiths wrote a few good tunes but I found it difficult to connect to some of the lyrics which were very up themselves. Always thought Morrissey was a twat, but TBF when he came to my restaurant he was always sociable, treated the waitresses with respect and left a decent tip so he went up in my estimation.
I think that his writing was very personal and arty farty which inevitably puts it into the Marmite category.

Dunkels King

Dunkels King
Nicolas Anelka
Nicolas Anelka

Overrated: Metallica
Underated: Slayer

Angry Dad

Angry Dad
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

O- U2
U-The cure

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

More blasts from the past.

Over - Grateful Dead

Under - Love

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

wanderlust wrote:
doffcocker wrote:Overrated: Oasis (incredibly so), Kasabian, Kaiser Chiefs.

Underrated: Eels, Suede, Smashing Pumpkins, The Horrors.

For years I didn't like Oasis, but mainly this was because they were ripping off 60s bands and Gallagher comes across as a twat although I've never met him personally. However I think I forgave them when they faded from the public view and must admit that I quite like to listen to some of their songs from time to time (as long as they're buried in a playlist as opposed to listening to a whole album) At the end of the day, there are some good tunes in there albeit recycled.

I think they should have packed it in after the second album. I can't deny some of the numbers on Definitely Maybe and Morning Glory are some of my all time favourites, even if half of them are rip offs of bands from the past...how they got away with Cigarettes and Alcohol which is uncanilly like Bang a Gong Get It On (T-Rex), we'll never know!

Since then they haven't stood out at all, and Liam Gallagher's voice gets more and more like nails on a chalk board by the album!

Most people can see they've been mediocre for a decade and a half, but it won't stop them being self proclaimed 'most important band since The Beatles', slagging off anybody new with something original to bring to the table.

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

Over - Led Zeppelin/Jimmy Page

Under - Fairport Convention/Richard Thompson

Dunkels King wrote:Overrated: Metallica
Underated: Slayer
One of my sons is a big Metallica fan and used to play their stuff all the time. It was OK but half the tracks sounded like medieval chamber music amped up. Said son is a great guitarist, so after he'd finished playing his CDs at full volume, he'd then play the solos through his Marshall - just for the neighbours. He's more into Dream Theatre now which is even more twiddly.

xmiles wrote:Over - Led Zeppelin/Jimmy Page

Under - Fairport Convention/Richard Thompson
#
Never liked Fairport but Richard Thompson was a talented guy and did some good stuff with John Martyn - who I like.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum