Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Big SOL CAMPBELL - the FA IS RACIST

+11
wanderlust
ROGUEMANNY
Reebok Trotter
Copper Dragon
karlypants
Sluffy
scottjames30
boltonbonce
Mr Magoo
aaron_bwfc
Hipster_Nebula
15 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

21Big SOL CAMPBELL - the FA IS RACIST - Page 2 Empty Re: Big SOL CAMPBELL - the FA IS RACIST Thu Jan 05 2023, 00:33

finlaymcdanger

finlaymcdanger
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Impressive stats to be fair

22Big SOL CAMPBELL - the FA IS RACIST - Page 2 Empty Re: Big SOL CAMPBELL - the FA IS RACIST Thu Jan 05 2023, 02:22

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

finlaymcdanger wrote:Impressive stats to be fair

Do you really think so, I guess you must do.

Most of his stats seem to be about him being the first black player to do something - well fair enough but a lot of that has to do with the opportunity too.  What I mean is that he wasn't the first black player to break the colour barrier and there was no Champions League to be the first black scorer of, and no World Cup to play and score in when the likes of Cyril Regis, Laurie Cunningham, Brendan Batson and Viv Anderson were at their peak because England failed to qualify in 1974, 1978 and similar for a later generation of black England players when we failed again in 1994 - Campbell scored his one and only England goal at the 2002 World Cup.

Campbell has NOT score in the Champions League Final as he posted but I assume he means in the 'finals' as in the knockout stages.

Other English black players however have scored previously in the Champions League predecessor, the European Cup (Viv Anderson for instance in the 1978/79 season against AEK Athens). Players like John Barnes and Paul Ince played in World Cups before Campbell but never got on the scoresheet.

His record of being in 56 games without losing is somewhat ambiguous, what does it actually mean?

My first thought was that it meant in consecutive Premier League games - and if so I would have expected that to include the Arsenal record of the 'invincible's' run but that was only 49 games (of which he played in 38 games).

https://www.football365.com/news/arsenal-invincibles-statistics-thierry-henry-arsene-wenger

I assume then it means 56 games consecutively he was picked to play in (note the subtle difference).

And indeed it does, the thing though is once again it all revolves about being in the right place at the right time.

Unbeaten in 56 games is indeed an impressive record - but would it sound somewhat less impressive if you knew that nine of the top 10 players unbeaten in consecutive PL games all played for the same club at the same time?

To me the record is only achievable through being part of an all conquering team (or rather a team that doesn't lose much!) than an individual achievement in itself?

https://talksport.com/football/338975/players-longest-premier-league-unbeaten-runs-revealed-180202271041/

He was a good player and he was probably the best around we had at the time in his position (let us take skin colour out of this for the moment) but did he really do anything truly amazing?

Yes he was the first in things - but others had done similar before him in earlier versions of the game.  He was a great player but there's been greater - Rio Ferdinand for instance is black and played in the same position in a great team too - does he warrant a knighthood as well?

It seems to me that Campbell has some sort of a big chip on his shoulder and believes everything is somehow racist towards him.

Sure honours have been given out for less but that doesn't merit Campbell being awarded something too on the same basis does it?

The man is a multimillionaire and lives the life most of us can only dream of, he should count his blessings for all that he's achieved and not carry his apparent grudge, perceived or real, to his grave.

He needs to move on and not keep stewing in such apparent resentment and bitterness.

I don't see many others shouting out for Campbell to be honoured do you?

I wonder why that is if he is such a sports icon (black or white)?

23Big SOL CAMPBELL - the FA IS RACIST - Page 2 Empty Re: Big SOL CAMPBELL - the FA IS RACIST Thu Jan 05 2023, 08:36

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

What about the years Brucie had to wait? Sol needs to get a grip.
I can think of many people deserving of an honour, if honour it is, but I don't think race comes into it.
Looks more like pot luck to me.

24Big SOL CAMPBELL - the FA IS RACIST - Page 2 Empty Re: Big SOL CAMPBELL - the FA IS RACIST Thu Jan 05 2023, 09:01

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Campbell does have a point. Half the honours seem to go to celebrities or sportsmen/women who were doing their (usually well paid) job. Services to acting? Services to football? Fook off.

However, my "services to football forums" honour can't be too far away.

25Big SOL CAMPBELL - the FA IS RACIST - Page 2 Empty Re: Big SOL CAMPBELL - the FA IS RACIST Thu Jan 05 2023, 09:25

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:Campbell does have a point. Half the honours seem to go to celebrities or sportsmen/women who were doing their (usually well paid) job. Services to acting? Services to football? Fook off.

However, my "services to football forums" honour can't be too far away.
And you've had plenty of experience of kneeling in front of men in uniform, so you'll be well versed in the etiquette.

26Big SOL CAMPBELL - the FA IS RACIST - Page 2 Empty Re: Big SOL CAMPBELL - the FA IS RACIST Thu Jan 05 2023, 09:28

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:Campbell does have a point. Half the honours seem to go to celebrities or sportsmen/women who were doing their (usually well paid) job. Services to acting? Services to football? Fook off.
Completely agree.

27Big SOL CAMPBELL - the FA IS RACIST - Page 2 Empty Re: Big SOL CAMPBELL - the FA IS RACIST Thu Jan 05 2023, 10:19

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

The whole thing is a clown show.

28Big SOL CAMPBELL - the FA IS RACIST - Page 2 Empty Re: Big SOL CAMPBELL - the FA IS RACIST Thu Jan 05 2023, 22:12

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

boltonbonce wrote:And you've had plenty of experience of kneeling in front of men in uniform, so you'll be well versed in the etiquette.

You are clearly mistaking me for KP. Which in itself is a major insult.

29Big SOL CAMPBELL - the FA IS RACIST - Page 2 Empty Re: Big SOL CAMPBELL - the FA IS RACIST Thu Jan 05 2023, 23:19

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:
boltonbonce wrote:And you've had plenty of experience of kneeling in front of men in uniform, so you'll be well versed in the etiquette.

You are clearly mistaking me for KP. Which in itself is a major insult.
Cheeky bitch. Very Happy

30Big SOL CAMPBELL - the FA IS RACIST - Page 2 Empty Re: Big SOL CAMPBELL - the FA IS RACIST Fri Jan 06 2023, 13:27

okocha

okocha
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Why would anyone want to belong to a club that features dodgy bankers, corrupt politicians, and rich, privileged tax-dodgers?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum