Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Zat Knight to get new deal?

+5
terenceanne
karlypants
scottjames30
wanderlust
Culcheth_White
9 posters

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Zat Knight to get new deal? Empty Zat Knight to get new deal? Tue Apr 01 2014, 09:00

Culcheth_White

Culcheth_White
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

No, this isn't an April fool's btw!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

2Zat Knight to get new deal? Empty Re: Zat Knight to get new deal? Tue Apr 01 2014, 09:41

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Makes sense if the deal is right. What's that about six week contracts though? Didn't understand.

3Zat Knight to get new deal? Empty Re: Zat Knight to get new deal? Tue Apr 01 2014, 09:47

Culcheth_White

Culcheth_White
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

wanderlust wrote:Makes sense if the deal is right. What's that about six week contracts though? Didn't understand.
I think Dougie was perhaps hinting how well Knight had played in the last six weeks or so. 

My problem with Knight, is that he can be great, like he has been recently, but you just know he's going to be a car crash waiting to happen and he isn't going to change at his age.

4Zat Knight to get new deal? Empty Re: Zat Knight to get new deal? Tue Apr 01 2014, 10:32

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Culcheth_White wrote:
wanderlust wrote:Makes sense if the deal is right. What's that about six week contracts though? Didn't understand.
I think Dougie was perhaps hinting how well Knight had played in the last six weeks or so. 

My problem with Knight, is that he can be great, like he has been recently, but you just know he's going to be a car crash waiting to happen and he isn't going to change at his age.
It's true. I guess the question is whether or not we could get a better CB at the price we could get Knight for - which is perhaps unlikely as there would be no transfer fee for Knight.

5Zat Knight to get new deal? Empty Re: Zat Knight to get new deal? Tue Apr 01 2014, 10:37

Although I think it's partly been a strategy to manage Wheater's fitness and partly the fact Ream often has to play LB one of my main issues with Dougie's selections is swapping the back 4 about. I think next season he needs to settle on a partnership (mine would be Ream and Wheater) and let them play every week possible. If Knight was kept on as back up/ an option to help see a result out then he's worth a contract on reduced terms.

He's too risky for first choice all season for the reason Culcheth mentions.

6Zat Knight to get new deal? Empty Re: Zat Knight to get new deal? Tue Apr 01 2014, 10:44

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

bwfc1874 wrote:Although I think it's partly been a strategy to manage Wheater's fitness and partly the fact Ream often has to play LB one of my main issues with Dougie's selections is swapping the back 4 about. I think next season he needs to settle on a partnership (mine would be Ream and Wheater) and let them play every week possible. If Knight was kept on as back up/ an option to help see a result out then he's worth a contract on reduced terms.

He's too risky for first choice all season for the reason Culcheth mentions.
Agree - but don't forget Mills is coming back and Bolger should be targeting a breakthrough next year so maybe Knight won't be needed? It would be daft to keep him on as a back up as even on reduced wages it would probably be as much as the others, so I'd imagine Dougie would only consider offering him a new contract if he thought that Knight was a serious contender for a regular spot - or he feels we'll need to rotate at some stage.

7Zat Knight to get new deal? Empty Re: Zat Knight to get new deal? Tue Apr 01 2014, 11:23

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Why do all players play-out-there skin, just before a new contract, then when they've signed it, play utter wank or always injured.

Everyone should be on a six month contract.

8Zat Knight to get new deal? Empty Re: Zat Knight to get new deal? Tue Apr 01 2014, 11:33

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Full article here:

Bolton Wanderers manager Dougie Freedman hints at new deal for defender Zat Knight

Zat Knight’s fine late-season form could tempt Dougie Freedman into offering him a new deal.

The club captain was expected to leave Wanderers this summer after five years but after regaining his place in the side, the 33-year-old has been one of the Whites’ outstanding performers.

Freedman admits the club will be unable to offer the kind of salary Knight and many like him were earning in the Premier League days.

But after watching the big centre-half impress against Wigan on Saturday, the Scot hinted talks could be in the offing for the ex-England international.

“Big Zat Knight is playing the best football I have ever seen him play and he’s fighting for the cause – whatever that might be, he’s fighting for it,” he told The Bolton News.

“He wants to sit down and he’s doing himself no harm at all. I’m forming that idea with one or two players right now in my mind.

“If that’s the way it’s going to go I’ll be giving Zat six-week contracts from now on because he’s been outstanding.”

Knight has been strongly linked with a move to Philadelphia Union in the United States, although Freedman has denied any contact had been made by the MLS club.

The Solihull-born defender would be free to move for nothing at the end of his contract, along with Stuart Holden, Chris Eagles, Tyrone Mears and Andre Moritz.

Whether the club can afford a deal to suit Knight is another matter – but Freedman has been pleased with the player’s attitude since coming back into the first- team frame in the last couple of months.

“I can’t lie – I’m in a position at the end of this season where financially I have to make some difficult decisions on who to keep and who to release,” he said. “But if he keeps playing like that then you know the answer.

“There are several factors to it but you can do yourself no harm by doing exactly what Zat has done and showing what you are capable of.”

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

9Zat Knight to get new deal? Empty Re: Zat Knight to get new deal? Tue Apr 01 2014, 11:57

terenceanne

terenceanne
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

One year contract would be ok depending on how many CB's we have on the books after the clear out. We might be better off going with a younger lad though in the long run.

10Zat Knight to get new deal? Empty Re: Zat Knight to get new deal? Tue Apr 01 2014, 12:06

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

The club is mental if they give him another contract, absolutely mental.

11Zat Knight to get new deal? Empty Re: Zat Knight to get new deal? Tue Apr 01 2014, 12:17

JAH

JAH
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

Natasha Whittam wrote:The club is mental if they give him another contract, absolutely mental.

:agree:  :agree:  :agree:

12Zat Knight to get new deal? Empty Re: Zat Knight to get new deal? Tue Apr 01 2014, 12:38

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

i can't see him agreeing to a big drop in wages when he can probably get one more big pay day in the States.

His form has improved recently but we need to be looking forward now and bring in younger players, so i would let him go.

13Zat Knight to get new deal? Empty Re: Zat Knight to get new deal? Tue Apr 01 2014, 21:10

Keegan

Keegan
Admin

Norpig wrote:His form has improved recently but we need to be looking forward now and bring in younger players, so i would let him go.

This bit.

https://forum.boltonnuts.co.uk

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum