Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Have Bolton Wanderers fans judged Liam Trotter too quickly?

+7
NickFazer
Norpig
luckyPeterpiper
wanderlust
doffcocker
Natasha Whittam
karlypants
11 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Life at Wanderers seems to have been an uphill battle so far for Liam Trotter – but should the boo-boys have given him more time before making up their minds?

Barely two months since he made his first appearance for the Whites against his former club Ipswich, Trotter was treated to the ignominy of ironic cheers from the travelling support as he was substituted against Huddersfield Town.

A few days later, the 25-year-old was booed ON to the pitch against Doncaster Rovers whilst replacing front man Joe Mason, with disgruntled fans chanting “4-4-2” at Dougie Freedman’s dugout, in protest at the apparently-defensive tactical switch.

With only 12 appearances under his belt in total, that may seem to some a quick judgement to make. Yes, Trotter hardly got off to a good start, with lacklustre displays in his first two home starts against Burnley and Brighton respectively, but was still feeling his way in a new squad and system.

It is hard to recall a new player being given such a rough ride so soon into his Wanderers career and the negative reaction has caused some concern within the walls of the club.

But after playing in a deeper-lying midfield role in Saturday’s victory over Barnsley, even some of Trotter’s harshest critics were forced to take a step back.

Considering his rocky road, Trotter’s hard-working performance alongside Jay Spearing in the engine room was an encouraging one and certainly the best of his Bolton career so far.

The whole 90 minutes was a glimpse into what Freedman has planned for next season, a possession-based brand of football that starts from the back. And though a slender 1-0 win, and a bitty second-half display showed there is still much to perfect, it was nevertheless a bold declaration by the Scot, who knows his preferred system does not necessarily go down well with everyone sitting in the stands at the Reebok.

Whether fans have warmed completely to Trotter or not, the athletic midfielder is expected to convert his loan move from Millwall into a permanent deal this summer.

And he is not expeced to be just a makeweight.

He is viewed as a flexible option, who can play the deeper role in Freedman’s 4-2-3-1 system, or in one of the three attacking positions behind the main striker.

Trotter has still to win over the Wanderers fans, yet the midfielder might take heart from the fact both Lukas Jutkiewicz and Joe Mason went on to become terrace favourites after rather lukewarm receptions.

Trotter’s introduction to the Reebok has been in stark contrast to the one he enjoyed down in Ipswich, where he made his breakthrough in the professional game.

At 19, the midfielder scored in a local derby against Colchester United on his home debut at Portman Road, and was instantly feted as a potential star of the future by the Tractor Boys faithful.

Joe Royle had given him his first glimpse of first-team football as a substitute against Plymouth Argyle at the end of the 2005/6 season.

But it was Royle’s successor, Jim Magilton, who gradually introduced him into the senior ranks via loan spells at Grimsby Town, Scunthorpe United and Millwall.

It was a typical tale of local boy made good – and one Wanderers fans are equally anxious to celebrate.

But a falling out with the next Ipswich manager, Roy Keane, saw Trotter join a handful of promising young players, including Blackburn Rovers goal-getter extraordinaire Jordan Rhodes no less, to be shown the door by the Irishman.

At Millwall, Trotter’s industry in a struggling side was spotted by Freedman, who made him a surprise capture on the final day of the January transfer window. While the Wanderers squad looked to have sufficient midfielders at the time, consequent injury problems for Darren Pratley and Mark Davies have meant immediate first-team exposure, and perhaps more football than Freedman had bargained for.

It has also meant a swift judgement from the Wanderers supporters, and whether fans now learn to love Trotter might well depend on whether they learn to love the system in which he is playing.

Source

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

What a load of absolute shit. He's been fooking useless since he signed, and the worst part, fooking lazy as well.

I have absolutely no doubt Freedman will sign this player, purely because the fans don't rate him.

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

There has to be a side to his game that we've not seen, as he is highly regarded at this level.

I can imagine him being very useful if he put more effort in as he's big and powerful. Unfortunately, he doesn't look like a player that wants to get signed up permanently.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

He's not helped by his gait. Some players just look like they're out for a stroll and yet they cover the ground just as quickly. Trotter is one of them. Others hustle and bustle but don't really get anywhere fast which is why players like Danns are always bound to be more popular. 
If their running style looks busy, fans assume they're trying harder.
Good example of this was when Manure sold Tevez but kept Berbatov - on the basis that he covered more ground and worked harder for the team. 

If it wasn't for the stats, who'd have thought it?

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Trotter has both looked disinterested and been ineffective whenever I've seen him play for us. I think the fans might have been a bit quick to judge him but so far I haven't really seen or heard anything to suggest they reached the wrong judgement. If Trotter wants to win the fans over he has to earn it with better effort and improved performances.

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

He has been poor so far and has hardly looked like a player looking for a contract and I fail to see exactly where his best position is. He has s lot of improving to do to win me over

NickFazer

NickFazer
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Football fans are always to quick to judge, if a player bursts on the scene and plays well its the same as with Trotter but in reverse, he is an experienced player in this division and would probably settle quicker if he didn't have the crowd on his back after 20 mins of his first game.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

NickFazer wrote:he is an experienced player in this division and would probably settle quicker if he didn't have the crowd on his back after 20 mins of his first game.

I gave him 5 minutes, it's all I need to judge a player.

Tigermin

Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

Oh christ the hand wringers are out again,he is shite,slow and shite,shite and slow but never mind we will sign him on a 4 year deal so no worries there then Dougie lad!!!

Hip Priest

Hip Priest
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

I've seen enough, he's shite.

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:What a load of absolute shit. He's been fooking useless since he signed, and the worst part, fooking lazy as well.

I have absolutely no doubt Freedman will sign this player, purely because the fans don't rate him.

Liam Trotter 10 games - "shit, fooking useless"

Craig Davies - 26 games - "hasn't had a chance"

/nat logic.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Hipster_Nebula wrote:
Natasha Whittam wrote:What a load of absolute shit. He's been fooking useless since he signed, and the worst part, fooking lazy as well.

Liam Trotter 10 games - "shit, fooking useless"

Craig Davies - 26 games - "hasn't had a chance"

/nat logic.

Craig Davies - started 5 games.

Liam Trotter - started 7 games.

I should also add Trotter's were continual appearances, Craig Davies often had weeks between appearances.

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Course Nat.

If the players were reversed you'd be saying the opposite. 

I actually like Craig Davies and think he's a hard worker, but he's had more chances to impress than Trotter. Simply with his longer time at the club, being seen in training and interacting with the coaching staff day in day out.

Unfortunately I think there's already a pre contract in place, I wouldn't sign him but he must have more to offer than we've already seen. In terms of too quick to judge, it's undoubtedly yes in many fans cases. I had a bunch of inbred's behind me at the Derby game and they booed and abused Trotter every time he came near the ball, it was absolutely pathetic. I firmly believe that if he was a 'local lad' he'd be given a far better chance, as it is he's become the new scapegoat. Im sure there are plenty of fans saying we'd have won yesterday 'if the jock shite hadn't played Trotter'.

It's much like the Spearing/Medo thing, Medo's a far better player in every way but because he's not English he doesn't have 'the passion' apparently which means he's not a fans favourite. Typical English fan bollocks.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

bwfc1874 wrote:

It's much like the Spearing/Medo thing, Medo's a far better player in every way but because he's not English he doesn't have 'the passion' apparently which means he's not a fans favourite. Typical English fan bollocks.

That's just your opinion. While I don't rate either Spearing or Medo particularly, Spearing is the better player - and the stats prove it. Spearing has 11 assists, Medo just the one.

On the subject of Trotter, while I agree the treatment has been somewhat harsh, you can't deny his body language reeks of lazy bastard. Bolton fans are forgiving of little talent (hell, we're used to it), but won't put up with a lack of effort. I've heard all sorts of excuses for Trotter but the fact is he's started 7 games and hardly set the world alight - if this is the sort of signing we have to look forward to then we are truly fucked.

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc

I've seen enough of Trotter home and away since coming here and IMO he will never be what I consider a decent player unless his attitude on the pitch changes - he is built like a brick shit house but i've rarely seen him bully players off the ball or win a header.

Natasha Whittam wrote:
bwfc1874 wrote:

That's just your opinion. While I don't rate either Spearing or Medo particularly, Spearing is the better player - and the stats prove it. Spearing has 11 assists, Medo just the one.

On the subject of Trotter, while I agree the treatment has been somewhat harsh, you can't deny his body language reeks of lazy bastard. Bolton fans are forgiving of little talent (hell, we're used to it), but won't put up with a lack of effort. I've heard all sorts of excuses for Trotter but the fact is he's started 7 games and hardly set the world alight - if this is the sort of signing we have to look forward to then we are truly fucked.

You're spot on about Trotters body language, certainly doesn't do him any favours he seems to stroll around the pitch.  A midfielder of that size should be dominating games. As I said I wouldn't sign him, but I fear it's too late.

Judging a defensive midfielder on the amount of assists they have is absolutely laughable, their primary job is to sit and protect the back 4. I honestly think Medo's better in every department, doesn't mean I would't play Spearing I just think it's indicative of football fans mentality that the English player who shouts and points a lot is more highly regarded.

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

One or two good performances from the remaining games, and everything changes in terms of who wants him to sign permanently.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum