Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Are newspapers dead?

+10
Growler
Angry Dad
Cajunboy
wessy
Soul Kitchen
BoltonTillIDie
bwfc71
Reebok Trotter
wanderlust
boltonbonce
14 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

1Are newspapers dead? Empty Are newspapers dead? Mon Jun 16 2014, 15:13

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Anyone still buy a daily paper? I started reading The Guardian (Manchester Guardian as it was then)when I was 15,and as I got older I'd sometimes buy 2 or 3 papers a day,but in light of the 24 hour news services,the internet,twitter etc,is there any point to them in this modern age? The Guardian has become a pretty tatty rag now,and the others are no better. Apart from the odd comment section,or a half decent sports section they have little or nothing to recommend them;factor in the ridiculous price some of them are selling at and it looks to me like they're on the way out. I'd certainly buy a dedicated sports newspaper along the lines of La Gazzetta dello sport,but I don't think such a newspaper would get off the ground over here. The Daily Mail is superb when it comes to soaking up cat pee.

2Are newspapers dead? Empty Re: Are newspapers dead? Mon Jun 16 2014, 15:41

The last time I bought an actual newspaper was a couple of years ago at Manchester Airport and I think I just did it out of habit - Going on holiday, buy a paper for on the plane.

I skim through the Salford Advertiser when it lands on the mat every Thursday, but that's just to see if I know anybody who's been up before The Beak. 

As for the Bolton News.......it's an embarrassing, parochial joke and I wouldn't pay 5p for a copy.......

"Helen Flanagan's Mum loses 8lbs on Weight Watchers - exclusive report on page 7!"

3Are newspapers dead? Empty Re: Are newspapers dead? Mon Jun 16 2014, 15:46

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I do miss 'The Buff'.

4Are newspapers dead? Empty Re: Are newspapers dead? Mon Jun 16 2014, 15:54

Take your kit off then.........

It's your choice, mate.

5Are newspapers dead? Empty Re: Are newspapers dead? Mon Jun 16 2014, 15:59

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Breadman wrote:Take your kit off then.........

It's your choice, mate.
It's always off. Stark bollock naked is my default look.

6Are newspapers dead? Empty Re: Are newspapers dead? Mon Jun 16 2014, 16:39

Good man.

Completely off topic, is that a bullet hole behind Canavaro's head on the ITV coverage now?

7Are newspapers dead? Empty Re: Are newspapers dead? Mon Jun 16 2014, 16:57

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I get a paper delivered on Saturday mornings and that's it apart from the ones I pick up for free in hotels/conference centres when I'm there. 
TBF the Saturday morning paper probably requires 6 trees to make it and should therefore be discouraged.

8Are newspapers dead? Empty Re: Are newspapers dead? Mon Jun 16 2014, 17:22

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Breadman wrote:Good man.

Completely off topic, is that a bullet hole behind Canavaro's head on the ITV coverage now?

It is. They mentioned someone had caused the damage deliberately. The rumoured target was Adrian Chiles.

9Are newspapers dead? Empty Re: Are newspapers dead? Mon Jun 16 2014, 21:24

bwfc71

bwfc71
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

I used to buy the Today newspaper until a certain Murdoch bought it and closed it down (mainly because it was taking readers away from his papers!)

Since then never bought a daily paper.   Given chance I pick up a copy of Metro.  Or when I lived in The Netherlands I used to pick up Spits! or Metro.  But apart from them I tend to read online during lunchtimes.

10Are newspapers dead? Empty Re: Are newspapers dead? Mon Jun 16 2014, 21:38

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Never understood why we've never managed to come up with a daily football paper.

11Are newspapers dead? Empty Re: Are newspapers dead? Mon Jun 16 2014, 21:54

bwfc71

bwfc71
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

boltonbonce wrote:Never understood why we've never managed to come up with a daily football paper.

I presume its because we (as in speaking of a nation rather than personally) prefer the more magazine style such as 442 or Match.

And to be fair, even with SSN, there is not enough Football news to create a daily football paper that would ever be profitable.  There would be far more adverts than news and interest stories!

12Are newspapers dead? Empty Re: Are newspapers dead? Mon Jun 16 2014, 21:58

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Don't really go for the mags,but 'When Saturday comes' is always a good read.

13Are newspapers dead? Empty Re: Are newspapers dead? Mon Jun 16 2014, 22:02

Is that still in print?

I used to read that religiously 25 years ago.

Along with Wanderers Worldwide.

14Are newspapers dead? Empty Re: Are newspapers dead? Mon Jun 16 2014, 22:03

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Breadman wrote:Is that still in print?

I used to read that religiously 25 years ago.

Along with Wanderers Worldwide.
Bought a copy today.

15Are newspapers dead? Empty Re: Are newspapers dead? Mon Jun 16 2014, 22:08

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Used to buy the sun most days, but now I just go to the sky news app to get the latest news. Going forward the papers will be all digitally delivered as some can be now.

16Are newspapers dead? Empty Re: Are newspapers dead? Mon Jun 16 2014, 22:13

I  buy the Mirror everyday, just to do the crossword  when I'm a bit bored at work and to read on the toilet when I get home.

17Are newspapers dead? Empty Re: Are newspapers dead? Mon Jun 16 2014, 22:15

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

OneFinFreedman wrote:I  buy the Mirror everyday, just to do the crossword  when I'm a bit bored at work and to read on the toilet when I get home.
Mate of mine buys the Mirror just for the 'Horace' cartoon strip.

18Are newspapers dead? Empty Re: Are newspapers dead? Mon Jun 16 2014, 22:21

Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

It may well be. After the Brazil match on Thursday neet the studio took a bit of hammering from cost of living protesters. Apparently there's a few tv studios down by the beach and ITV's wasn't the only one to take a hit.

19Are newspapers dead? Empty Re: Are newspapers dead? Mon Jun 16 2014, 22:21

I used to hate delivering the Sundays as a kid.

If anybody knows them, there are some large half-timber fronted black & white houses on Church Rd opposite the top of Harpers Lane and they've got absolutely tiny letter boxes.

It used to take me ten minutes to post the Observer and The Sunday Times through because I had to break them down into smaller chunks to be able to get them through.

The bloke complained once and I got bollocked for "breaking his newspaper".......

Knobhead......

20Are newspapers dead? Empty Re: Are newspapers dead? Mon Jun 16 2014, 22:23

Soul Kitchen wrote:

It may well be. After the Brazil match on Thursday neet the studio took a bit of hammering from cost of living protesters. Apparently there's a few tv studios down by the beach and ITV's wasn't the only one to take a hit.

I prefer to think RT's explanation is the correct one and it was Jason Bourne on a boat with a sniper rifle trying to take Adrian Chiles out from a mile away..... Very Happy

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum