Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Are newspapers dead?

+10
Growler
Angry Dad
Cajunboy
wessy
Soul Kitchen
BoltonTillIDie
bwfc71
Reebok Trotter
wanderlust
boltonbonce
14 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

21Are newspapers dead? - Page 2 Empty Re: Are newspapers dead? Mon Jun 16 2014, 22:26

Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Soz to disappoint bread that's how I heard and read it.Smile

22Are newspapers dead? - Page 2 Empty Re: Are newspapers dead? Mon Jun 16 2014, 22:32

bwfc71

bwfc71
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Soul Kitchen wrote:
Breadman wrote:Good man.

Completely off topic, is that a bullet hole behind Canavaro's head on the ITV coverage now?
It may well be. After the Brazil match on Thursday neet the studio took a bit of hammering from cost of living protesters. Apparently there's a few tv studios down by the beach and ITV's wasn't the only one to take a hit.

Spot on.  From what I heard the US TV studio took the biggest hammering, whilst the BBC studio is 2 floors above ITV's studio and escaped the bombardment.

23Are newspapers dead? - Page 2 Empty Re: Are newspapers dead? Mon Jun 16 2014, 22:32

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Anyone remember the 'Reveille' weekly paper? Very titillating for a young boy!

24Are newspapers dead? - Page 2 Empty Re: Are newspapers dead? Tue Jun 17 2014, 11:12

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Breadman wrote:
Soul Kitchen wrote:
Breadman wrote:Good man.

Completely off topic, is that a bullet hole behind Canavaro's head on the ITV coverage now?
It may well be. After the Brazil match on Thursday neet the studio took a bit of hammering from cost of living protesters. Apparently there's a few tv studios down by the beach and ITV's wasn't the only one to take a hit.

I prefer to think RT's explanation is the correct one and it was Jason Bourne on a boat with a sniper rifle trying to take Adrian Chiles out from a mile away..... Very Happy

Apparently, the real culprit was a steel ball bearing fired by a protester from a high powered catapult. If it was a bullet it would probably have gone right through the glass and bounced of Mr Chiles suede.

25Are newspapers dead? - Page 2 Empty Re: Are newspapers dead? Mon Jan 15 2018, 21:07

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Any Guardian readers on here? What do you think of the redesign?

I like it,although the masthead takes up too much room on the front page. Promising though.

I'm sure the journalism will be of the usual high standard.

26Are newspapers dead? - Page 2 Empty Re: Are newspapers dead? Mon Jan 15 2018, 21:20

wessy

wessy
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

I think its the beginning of the end for newspapers, sad in many ways but the rise of social media will at least correct the political bias, hopefully the detestable Daily Mail will be first.

I think shopping is under threat as well on line shopping will kill footfall and you can already see this happening with major shops leaving the high street BHS etc.

27Are newspapers dead? - Page 2 Empty Re: Are newspapers dead? Mon Jan 15 2018, 21:23

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

wessy wrote:I think its the beginning of the end for newspapers, sad in many ways but the rise of social media will at least correct the political bias, hopefully the detestable Daily Mail will be first.

I think shopping is under threat as well on line shopping will kill footfall and you can already see this happening with major shops leaving the high street BHS etc.
Book shops are struggling. Why would anyone pay twenty quid for a book they can get on amazon for a fraction of that?

28Are newspapers dead? - Page 2 Empty Re: Are newspapers dead? Tue Jan 16 2018, 11:14

wessy

wessy
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

boltonbonce wrote:
wessy wrote:I think its the beginning of the end for newspapers, sad in many ways but the rise of social media will at least correct the political bias, hopefully the detestable Daily Mail will be first.

Book shops are struggling. Why would anyone pay twenty quid for a book they can get on amazon for a fraction of that?

Very true Bonce Sad but true, Amazon seems to be first port of call for most things, But in honesty i look in Waterstones then buy from Tesco so guilty as charged. Not sure how they will survive.

29Are newspapers dead? - Page 2 Empty Re: Are newspapers dead? Tue Jan 16 2018, 13:38

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Despite liking the new Guardian format,I can't help thinking it's on the same downward path as The Independent,and is destined to become digital only.

30Are newspapers dead? - Page 2 Empty Re: Are newspapers dead? Tue Jan 16 2018, 13:53

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

boltonbonce wrote:Despite liking the new Guardian format,I can't help thinking it's on the same downward path as The Independent,and is destined to become digital only.
I buy the "i" regularly for the crossword and quizzes, the concise rehash of predominantly yesterday's news and the absence of "analysis" and waffle - it's more like a 60p comic. Personally I find the Gurniad a bit "preachy" and some of the contributors draw conclusions based on assumptions which in my mind is shoddy workmanship, but opinion's what people pay for in all the broadsheets. I sometimes wonder if readers of e.g. the Gurniad or the Telegraph are simply seeking affirmation of their existing views rather than considered debate of real issues. And I'd much rather form my own opinion than read other people's so the concise precis in the "i" is sufficient and in a suitable format.

31Are newspapers dead? - Page 2 Empty Re: Are newspapers dead? Tue Jan 16 2018, 14:39

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I've read The Guardian for what seems like forever. It was the Manchester Guardian when I first started reading it,and it was pretty hard going.
I read The Guardian now,more out of habit than anything. Two quid is a hefty sum to pay,for something I only get time to read at around two o'clock in the afternoon.
And if you're a horse racing fan,The Guardian is the last place to look.
Lusty is probably right when he asks if certain readers are simply looking for affirmation of their existing views,but,such is life.
It's rather like peoples ideas about Brexit. 'You voted leave. You disagree with me. Ergo,you're an idiot.

32Are newspapers dead? - Page 2 Empty Re: Are newspapers dead? Tue Jan 16 2018, 18:10

Cajunboy

Cajunboy
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Guest wrote:I used to hate delivering the Sundays as a kid.

If anybody knows them, there are some large half-timber fronted black & white houses on Church Rd opposite the top of Harpers Lane and they've got absolutely tiny letter boxes.

It used to take me ten minutes to post the Observer and The Sunday Times through because I had to break them down into smaller chunks to be able to get them through.

The bloke complained once and I got bollocked for "breaking his newspaper".......

Knobhead......
Hi.

I sure know where you are. 

I lived near the top of Ivy Road and walked to Church Road school past those houses as a boy.

Who did you deliver for ?

The newsagents at the top of Bennetts Lane?

33Are newspapers dead? - Page 2 Empty Re: Are newspapers dead? Wed Jan 17 2018, 07:30

Angry Dad

Angry Dad
Youri Djorkaeff
Youri Djorkaeff

I don't but I will read them in the cafe when I'm there it's usually the Sun or the Tories eat new born babies Mirror. If lucky the Mail, but the other two are such a pile of shit the front page of the sun seems obsessed with Ant and Dec mainly Ant,what is this obsession with these two clowns that they get front page cover and serious stuff gets tucked away inside. Ant balloon head never seen such a distance between eyebrows and hairline except on a bald man. Camera pans to Ant n Dec who make puerile puns and the country put them on the level of Morecambe & Wise. Mike & Bernie winters more like.

34Are newspapers dead? - Page 2 Empty Re: Are newspapers dead? Wed Jan 17 2018, 10:03

Growler

Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

I buy a paper if I've got a lazy day and time to read which isn't often and its always the Daily Mail which is a strange choice for someone at the opposite end of the political spectrum.
I wouldn't buy a broadsheet because they are more difficult to read/handle and I find the Mail is the best of the tabloids for news writing and sports writing.

I think the book shops in the big cities are still doing well, I don't like how they have space taken  over for  cafes, but needs must.I'd never read a book online or on a kindle, nothing beats holding a book and I'm happy to pay full price for a new copy rather than go down the amazon route.

And I know the houses referred to opposite Harpers Lane, I saw someone I knew walking out of one a few years ago when i was driving past and mentioned to my mother "so and so seems to be doing all right" Apparantly she didnt own the house but was a cleaner there haha

35Are newspapers dead? - Page 2 Empty Re: Are newspapers dead? Wed Jan 17 2018, 12:57

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

What annoys me about the big hitters,is their obsession with pull-out sections. If you buy the Telegraph on Saturday,you've got about six sections to deal with.
Most of them are only worthy of a parrot cage.

36Are newspapers dead? - Page 2 Empty Re: Are newspapers dead? Wed Jan 17 2018, 13:27

finlaymcdanger

finlaymcdanger
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

I don't read newspapers any more - pretty much gave up after I fell out with The Guardian and Independent. My social feeds keep me up to speed and The Week app (which I love) gives me a nice summary of all the important, and real, news. I typically check out the BBC homepage stories on my way to work too.

37Are newspapers dead? - Page 2 Empty Re: Are newspapers dead? Wed Jan 17 2018, 14:28

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

boltonbonce wrote:What annoys me about the big hitters,is their obsession with pull-out sections. 
They try to be all things to all people. When the missus and I have a weekend lie in with coffee and the paper we divvy it up and I invariably get the sport, culture and crossword sections and she goes for the fashion, travel and cookery - whilst we take turns at reading the main bit and the magazine. The only bit that neither of us bother with is the cars section.
Sounds like a typical gender-based split but I have no interest in shopping or fashion and am a competent chef and she is decent at sport (mainly tennis) but  isn't that interested in reading about it so it sort of works out OK. Just goes to show that despite us not considering ourselves to be tied to gender stereotypes, when it comes down to it we probably are and the weekend paper pull-outs work well for us.

38Are newspapers dead? - Page 2 Empty Re: Are newspapers dead? Wed Jan 17 2018, 14:57

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

wanderlust wrote:They try to be all things to all people. When the missus and I have a weekend lie in with coffee and the paper we divvy it up and I invariably get the sport, culture and crossword sections and she goes for the fashion, travel and cookery - whilst we take turns at reading the main bit and the magazine. The only bit that neither of us bother with is the cars section.
Sounds like a typical gender-based split but I have no interest in shopping or fashion and am a competent chef and she is decent at sport (mainly tennis) but  isn't that interested in reading about it so it sort of works out OK. Just goes to show that despite us not considering ourselves to be tied to gender stereotypes, when it comes down to it we probably are and the weekend paper pull-outs work well for us.

You missed out what you both had for breakfast.

39Are newspapers dead? - Page 2 Empty Re: Are newspapers dead? Wed Jan 17 2018, 15:27

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:
wanderlust wrote:They try to be all things to all people. When the missus and I have a weekend lie in with coffee and the paper we divvy it up and I invariably get the sport, culture and crossword sections and she goes for the fashion, travel and cookery - whilst we take turns at reading the main bit and the magazine. The only bit that neither of us bother with is the cars section.

The missus always says her day doesn't really start until she gets something hot and filling inside her.

40Are newspapers dead? - Page 2 Empty Re: Are newspapers dead? Wed Jan 17 2018, 15:43

finlaymcdanger

finlaymcdanger
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

wanderlust wrote:
Natasha Whittam wrote:

The missus always says her day doesn't really start until she gets something hot and filling inside her.

Alan Houghton seems to be the same way

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum