Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Sordell heading for the Premiership.....at least for a season.

+8
Keegan
xmiles
BoltonTillIDie
Reebok Trotter
luckyPeterpiper
karlypants
doffcocker
Natasha Whittam
12 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

I rated Sordell when he came to us and was a bit mystified as to why he didn't feature more in the drop season or at the start of the next. I think his attitude was poor and that he should have (in public at least) said he was fighting to break into the team rather than posting rather childish tweets bemoaning his lot. I wish him well because I think he could still be a very good player but fear his attitude and ego will always be bigger than his talent which is why I will be quite pleased if he does leave for both side's sake. As to Dyche, well I can only assume he sees something in Marvin or knows of some special approach that will get the best out of the lad because up until now he's proven himself to be a good man manager as well as tactically sharp.

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

I feel that Sordell didn't really get a fair chance and maybe he will come good elsewhere but he didn't exactly impress at Charlton either.

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I do feel that he didn't get a fair chance either for whatever reason.

The thing is, we are going to lose a hell of a lot of money on him where we initially paid £3.4 million (I think it was) and I know we paid a little over the odds but if Dyche and Burnley can sort him out then why can't we?

Sordell did a fantastic job at Watford and I still feel that he is worth more than £750k.

Maybe I am slightly bitter due to how much money the club will have lost on this player but would it not be worth hanging on to him and now giving him a fair chance?

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Bolton Wanderers striker Marvin Sordell could be set for the Premier League with move to Burnley

Wanderers were last night preparing to take a big financial hit as they offload flop striker Marvin Sordell to Premier league Burnley.

It is understood a deal was close to being agreed that will see the former England Under-21 man move to Turf Moor for £600,000, with add-ons depending on his success with the Clarets.

Sordell arrived in the final moments of January deadline day, 2012, for £3.2million from Watford.

But the youngster will forever be tagged as one of the Whites’ most expensive failures after failing to claim a regular first team place under successive managers.

Sordell made just 16 starts in two-and-a-half years at Bolton, with another 13 appearances from the bench. His eight goals came at a cost of £400,000 each.

After struggling to get a chance under the man who signed him, Owen Coyle, Sordell briefly looked to have sparked his Wanderers career into life after Dougie Freedman’s arrival from Crystal Palace.

He featured heavily in the club’s near miss on the play-offs but was deemed surplus to requirements over the summer when Jermaine Beckford and Andre Moritz were signed from Leicester City and Palace, respectively.

Sordell spent last season on loan with Charlton Athletic after failing to convince Freedman he could be a regular starter.

The 23-year-old scored eight goals in all competitions for the Addicks, including a hat-trick against Sheffield Wednesday.

His lack of success has not deterred his former Watford boss Sean Dyche, however, and with only the fine details of the move to sort out, the deal is expected to be completed later today.

Wanderers are expected to use the cash to put towards a bid for Middlesbrough striker Lukas Jutkiewicz, but are unwilling to be drawn into an auction for the 25-year-old.

Derby County have upped their initial offer of £1m but Boro have yet to accept their revised bid.

Source

Keegan

Keegan
Admin

I'm disappointed with the fee. I actually think Sordell is a good player and he's never been given an extended run of games to prove this one way or the other. Shame, really.

https://forum.boltonnuts.co.uk

Keegan wrote:I'm disappointed with the fee. I actually think Sordell is a good player and he's never been given an extended run of games to prove this one way or the other. Shame, really.

This is another example of how being so far in debt is crippling the club (irrespective of what anyone says about it not being "real" debt.)

If potential suitors for our rejects didn't know just how strapped we were, we'd be able to turn round and say "If you want him, give us £2.5m for him. He's young, he's English and he's got a pedigree at U21 level."

But Burnley (and everybody else) know we're flat broke and will gladly accept £600k for a player who cost us £3.2m two years ago, just to get him off the wage bill.

It's a sad state of affairs......

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

Breadman wrote:
Keegan wrote:I'm disappointed with the fee. I actually think Sordell is a good player and he's never been given an extended run of games to prove this one way or the other. Shame, really.

This is another example of how being so far in debt is crippling the club (irrespective of what anyone says about it not being "real" debt.)

If potential suitors for our rejects didn't know just how strapped we were, we'd be able to turn round and say "If you want him, give us £2.5m for him. He's young, he's English and he's got a pedigree at U21 level."

But Burnley (and everybody else) know we're flat broke and will gladly accept £600k for a player who cost us £3.2m two years ago, just to get him off the wage bill.

It's a sad state of affairs......

Thanks Owen.

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Wanderers striker Marvin Sordell has high hopes for Burnley switch

Marvin Sordell is keeping his fingers crossed that a move to Burnley becomes a reality.

It is understood that the final touches are now being put on his £600,000 switch to Turf Moor, allowing him to begin a new chapter in his career under former Watford boss Sean Dyche.

Sordell has started his pre-season training alone at England’s training base at St George’s Park but speaking on Talksport earlier today, he refused to get carried away about his proposed return to the Premier League.

“All I can say is that in football nothing is guaranteed,” he said.

“There are reports and rumours but nothing is ever 100 per cent so I cannot say too much.

“If it comes along it would be a fantastic opportunity and I have been working at St George’s Park already in pre-season to give me the best chance to hit the ground running.”

Sordell was full of praise for Dyche, who worked with him at Vicarage Road until his £3.2million move to Wanderers on January transfer deadline day 2012.

“I worked with him a lot at Watford and he's a very good coach, a very good mentor for players and I'm not surprised Burnley did so well last season.”

Source

Vendor

Vendor
Mario Jardel
Mario Jardel

karlypants wrote:Wanderers striker Marvin Sordell has high hopes for Burnley switch

Marvin Sordell is keeping his fingers crossed that a move to Burnley becomes a reality.

It is understood that the final touches are now being put on his £600,000 switch to Turf Moor, allowing him to begin a new chapter in his career under former Watford boss Sean Dyche.

Sordell has started his pre-season training alone at England’s training base at St George’s Park but speaking on Talksport earlier today, he refused to get carried away about his proposed return to the Premier League.

“All I can say is that in football nothing is guaranteed,” he said.

“There are reports and rumours but nothing is ever 100 per cent so I cannot say too much.

“If it comes along it would be a fantastic opportunity and I have been working at St George’s Park already in pre-season to give me the best chance to hit the ground running.”

Sordell was full of praise for Dyche, who worked with him at Vicarage Road until his £3.2million move to Wanderers on January transfer deadline day 2012.

“I worked with him a lot at Watford and he's a very good coach, a very good mentor for players and I'm not surprised Burnley did so well last season.”

Source
Think this proves he wants to go, I know £600k is peanuts in the football world but if it helps us get the Juke then I know which I would go for.

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Part of me wants him to go there and be crap, part of me hopes he proves he should have been taken seriously here.

Strikers are very much flavour of the month subjects, certainly at Bolton in the last few years anyway. Remember when he scored them cup goals and everybody was adamant he should be starting league matches? That didn't last long.
We've seen the same happen a number of times with Ngog, CDavies, Beckford. Hopefully Juke won't be next.

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

The main rumour surrounding Sordell and his time at Bolton was that he was homesick and his heart really wasn't in it for a life up north. How true it is I don't know.

Burnley can offer him motivation we can't, a last chance at the premier league. If that doesn't motivate him to put in some effort then nothing will.

Breadmans right, had our financial situation not been so bad we could have demanded more for him. As it is I didn't think we'd be able to get anything for him so this is a bonus.

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I lost faith in him a long time ago, good riddance.

White84

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Fucking wanker 600-000 towards a player who wants to play for us.Not some soft arsed tart who earned probably £20-000 a week but was homesick.What a cunt send the twat to Afghanistan n see how homesick he feels then.Fuck off and die boggle eyes.

Vendor

Vendor
Mario Jardel
Mario Jardel

White84 wrote: Fucking wanker 600-000 towards a player who wants to play for us.Not some soft arsed tart who earned probably £20-000 a week but was homesick.What a cunt send the twat to Afghanistan n see how homesick he feels then.Fuck off and die boggle eyes.
 Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing 

Well thats kind of what I said, just slightly more to the point.

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

If Sordell goes the money almost certainly WON'T be invested in the squad. I have a nasty suspicion that our transfer business in terms of bringing people IN has already finished and from this point on in this window we'll only see people going OUT.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Bottom line is dougie doesn't think sordell can hack it or he'd play him instead of spending money on juke.

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

wanderlust wrote:Bottom line is dougie doesn't think sordell can hack it or he'd play him instead of spending money on juke.
lusty who says we're spending on Juke? From what I heard 'Boro want 1.5 mil for him and that's priced us out of the market thanks to our fabulous "not really debt" position.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

luckyPeterpiper wrote:
wanderlust wrote:Bottom line is dougie doesn't think sordell can hack it or he'd play him instead of spending money on juke.
lusty who says we're spending on Juke? From what I heard 'Boro want 1.5 mil for him and that's priced us out of the market thanks to our fabulous "not really debt" position.

Speculation on my behalf that it might be Juke although I do think Dougie will try to sign someone. Another factor might be Sordell's wages. Either way the balance between wages and how DF rates Sordell is wrong hence his exit.

Understand getting rid of Eaves as he's been poor on loan. Surprised Cavies hasn't gone too but that really would leave the cupboard bare.

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

wanderlust wrote:
luckyPeterpiper wrote:

Speculation on my behalf that it might be Juke although I do think Dougie will try to sign someone. Another factor might be Sordell's wages. Either way the balance between wages and how DF rates Sordell is wrong hence his exit.

Understand getting rid of Eaves as he's been poor on loan. Surprised Cavies hasn't gone too but that really would leave the cupboard bare.
Gotta be honest and say I'd keep both Cravies and Eaves. Cravies because I actually rate him and Eaves because I think he should have been given a real chance to play for us instead of being farmed out to every Tom Dick and Harry which imo was always going to adversely affect his confidence and form. Football is a hard enough game to play professionally without adding the uncertainty of not knowing WHERE you'll be next week/month into the mix especially for a young man just starting out.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum