Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Arsenal v Wigan

+12
largehat
trotter1948
Harold77
Angry Dad
Reebok Trotter
jayjay23
Hipster_Nebula
doffcocker
Quent
Natasha Whittam
Spillthebeans
Sluffy
16 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 3]

41Arsenal v Wigan - Page 3 Empty Re: Arsenal v Wigan Tue 17 Apr - 12:01

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Natasha Whittam wrote:
largehat wrote:

If you want me to "just accept" that Martinez is having a fantastic April, then that's obvious, so yes I accept that. Who was manager of the month in March, remind me?

Coyle got the sympathy vote in March. I'd hardly call wins over Rovers, QPR & Wolves in the same league as winning at Arsenal.

I'm just making the point that you're getting wet knickers over Martinez' last few games, but in all your suggestions on who should be the manager at BWFC, and you've made plenty of those, his name has never come up.

So you're just using Martinez' very recent success as a stick to beat Coyle with, who hasn't done too badly himself recently. Manager of the Month for March and 20 points from the last 16 games, mid table form. But you'd undo all that for a dream team of John McGinlay and Fabian de Freitas or some other such nonsense combo.

42Arsenal v Wigan - Page 3 Empty Re: Arsenal v Wigan Tue 17 Apr - 12:03

trotter1948

trotter1948
Nicky Hunt
Nicky Hunt

As an aside !!!
Do you lot do any work or are you retired or is this from work?

43Arsenal v Wigan - Page 3 Empty Re: Arsenal v Wigan Tue 17 Apr - 12:30

Lofty_Love

Lofty_Love
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Natasha Whittam wrote:

Coyle got the sympathy vote in March. I'd hardly call wins over Rovers, QPR & Wolves in the same league as winning at Arsenal.

Coyle deserved it for March, we won 3 'must win games', id rather win those than 3 against the top teams at this end of the season. I can't believe you still won't give the team any credit for those wins, they were vital and we won them, you keep going on that they are poor teams (QPR arnt btw), well so are we.. so beating them isn't a walk over.

Btw im in no way discrediting Martinez' last month, its remarkable and should save them and I do belive hes a great manager. But to use their beating of Arsenal, Liverpool and Utd as a benchmark for Coyle is not fair.

44Arsenal v Wigan - Page 3 Empty Re: Arsenal v Wigan Tue 17 Apr - 12:54

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Makes you wonder why Martinez isn't being touted for the England job.

45Arsenal v Wigan - Page 3 Empty Re: Arsenal v Wigan Tue 17 Apr - 12:55

Harold77

Mario Jardel
Mario Jardel

trotter1948 wrote:As an aside !!!
Do you lot do any work or are you retired or is this from work?

I'm off sick on 20k a week and the company I work for are up shit creek because they can only afford to pay 5k a week for my replacement.

46Arsenal v Wigan - Page 3 Empty Re: Arsenal v Wigan Tue 17 Apr - 13:16

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Harold77 wrote:
I'm off sick on 20k a week and the company I work for are up shit creek because they can only afford to pay 5k a week for my replacement.

Harold, you seem quite angry. Is there a reason?

47Arsenal v Wigan - Page 3 Empty Re: Arsenal v Wigan Tue 17 Apr - 13:29

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc

Wigan were immense last night, even at 2-1 the way they knocked the ball about was a joy to behold and not be negative but for me if Wigan continue like that until the end of the season the last relegation place is between us and QPR.

I haven't read any of this thread but if it's been brought up then fair enough, but never in a million years would we have hung on to 2-1 last night. After they got a goal back we would have collapsed IMO.

Credit to martinez even when they were struggling he didn't change his football style and stook to his guns.

48Arsenal v Wigan - Page 3 Empty Re: Arsenal v Wigan Tue 17 Apr - 13:33

Harold77

Mario Jardel
Mario Jardel

Natasha Whittam wrote:
Harold77 wrote:

Harold, you seem quite angry. Is there a reason?

Costcutting since Megson's trash big money signings is going to see Bolton relegated.QPR will win their home games and that will be enough for them.Bolton have gone.We've still got big money shit like Knight available but not good enough for the team.The stench of Megson is still overpowering.

49Arsenal v Wigan - Page 3 Empty Re: Arsenal v Wigan Tue 17 Apr - 13:34

Lofty_Love

Lofty_Love
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Don't know if I agree with that aaron, this season we have not lost a game in which we scored first(well I cant think of one), Liverpool got back to 2-1 with most of the game left but we sealed that.

But yeh still credit to Wigan, got to say I though Arsenal would get another after that one but they held them off.

50Arsenal v Wigan - Page 3 Empty Re: Arsenal v Wigan Tue 17 Apr - 13:35

Lofty_Love

Lofty_Love
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Harold77 wrote:

We've still got big money shit like Knight available but not good enough for the team.The stench of Megson is still overpowering.

I could not agree more.

51Arsenal v Wigan - Page 3 Empty Re: Arsenal v Wigan Tue 17 Apr - 13:37

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc

Lofty_Love wrote:Don't know if I agree with that aaron, this season we have not lost a game in which we scored first(well I cant think of one), Liverpool got back to 2-1 with most of the game left but we sealed that.

But yeh still credit to Wigan, got to say I though Arsenal would get another after that one but they held them off.

We haven't been ahead in enough games this season for a solid argument to be made sadly, not sure what the stats are on us taking the lead and letting is slip once the opposition score are but I imagine we haven't took the lead a lot this season.

The problem with Arsenal is if they had a few more shots outside the box they may have got something out of last night but the tippy tappy football didn't pay off.

52Arsenal v Wigan - Page 3 Empty Re: Arsenal v Wigan Tue 17 Apr - 13:40

Lofty_Love

Lofty_Love
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Yeh the amount of wins we have does probably tilt the odds in our favour with that stat ha

53Arsenal v Wigan - Page 3 Empty Re: Arsenal v Wigan Tue 17 Apr - 13:43

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc

We have only won 9 all season though.out of 32.

54Arsenal v Wigan - Page 3 Empty Re: Arsenal v Wigan Tue 17 Apr - 13:50

largehat

largehat
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Plus 6? cup games, that's 15? in total and I can't think of any where we scored first and lost.

55Arsenal v Wigan - Page 3 Empty Re: Arsenal v Wigan Tue 17 Apr - 13:54

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc

Well obviously we reached the Quater finals of the FA cup, but I just meant the league.

56Arsenal v Wigan - Page 3 Empty Re: Arsenal v Wigan Tue 17 Apr - 14:01

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I mentioned that we might consider using a back 3 some time ago as it has advantages providing you have the players to play it - as Wigan do. One of the things it does do is mask the weaknesses of paceless CBs - Caldwell being a prime example. He actually looked good last night and I think it could work even better for Zat Knight as that system would play to his strengths.
I'm not sure about Arse playing tippy tappy football - I was getting frustrated with them crossing into an overcrowded box where they had no chance - I think they got one decent ball all night. With Knight in the middle it would totally negate all these fancy and pacy wingers and would play to our strengths instead of trying to beat better players at their own game.
However for the system to work well you need a very hard working midfield (as Wigan have got) and strikers that have pace and are not afraid of having a pop whenever the chance arises - and can finish. Not sure we have those, but it would be worth a punt to give Petrov, Wilde or Miyaichi a shot at the role if your not confident that Ngog can do it. I think it would suit him though.
Having 3 at the back gives both wing backs the chance to join the attack and providing you are pretty organised in midfield with players covering and taking responsibility it can work pretty well.
Just funnel all the fancy Dans into the crowd and make crosses ineffective so if you're going to get beat it will have to be from a wonder strike from miles out or a Messi-esque dribble through half the team.
Make them work for it and if they have an off day, punish them.
Great system for giving less rich clubs a level playing field.

57Arsenal v Wigan - Page 3 Empty Re: Arsenal v Wigan Fri 20 Apr - 10:46

Lyric Todkill

Lyric Todkill
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

aaron_bwfc wrote:We have only won 9 all season though.out of 32.

3 out of last 5 Wink

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum