Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Danger: Alcohol!

+7
Numpty 28723
doffcocker
BoltonTillIDie
karlypants
Hipster_Nebula
scottjames30
Natasha Whittam
11 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Danger: Alcohol! Empty Danger: Alcohol! Mon Aug 11 2014, 11:51

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

The All-Party Parliamentary Group on Alcohol Misuse has said labels should be placed on all alcoholic drinks to warn about the harmful effects of drinking.

How do you feel about this? Will it stop you reaching for a 6 pack next time you're doing your big shop at Aldi? Were you even aware alcohol was dangerous and could turn you into a fatty?

They have also suggested the drink driving limit should be dropped to zero, in effect saying any alcoholic drink will put you over the limit? How do you feel about this? Do you currently drink and drive? Would these measures make you think twice before driving home in your 10 year old Ford Focus after a night on the town?

2Danger: Alcohol! Empty Re: Danger: Alcohol! Mon Aug 11 2014, 11:56

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Good, Alcohol is fucking shite, they should ban it, how many people like to feel like shite the next day? all day?

3Danger: Alcohol! Empty Re: Danger: Alcohol! Mon Aug 11 2014, 11:56

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

scottjames30 wrote:Good, Alcohol is fucking shite, they should ban it, how many people like to feel like shite the next day? all day?

I had you down as a 10 pints a night man Scott.

4Danger: Alcohol! Empty Re: Danger: Alcohol! Mon Aug 11 2014, 11:57

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I don't understand why cigarettes have to have a diseased lung on the packet or be completely white, where as booze can have whatever it likes.

5Danger: Alcohol! Empty Re: Danger: Alcohol! Mon Aug 11 2014, 11:59

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:
scottjames30 wrote:Good, Alcohol is fucking shite, they should ban it, how many people like to feel like shite the next day? all day?

I had you down as a 10 pints a night man Scott.

NO, I need to maintain my physique, 10 pints a night won't get me under 10% body fat now will it,  plus 10 pints a night is a dear do.

6Danger: Alcohol! Empty Re: Danger: Alcohol! Mon Aug 11 2014, 11:59

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Hipster_Nebula wrote:I don't understand why cigarettes have to have a diseased lung on the packet or be completely white, where as booze can have whatever it likes.

Because fags kill in small doses, alcohol doesn't.

7Danger: Alcohol! Empty Re: Danger: Alcohol! Mon Aug 11 2014, 12:02

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:
Hipster_Nebula wrote:I don't understand why cigarettes have to have a diseased lung on the packet or be completely white, where as booze can have whatever it likes.

Because fags kill in small doses, alcohol doesn't.

Do you really believe that? 

You could kill yourself on booze in one night, absolutely impossible with cigarettes unless you suffocate yourself with them.

8Danger: Alcohol! Empty Re: Danger: Alcohol! Mon Aug 11 2014, 12:05

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Hipster_Nebula wrote:

Do you really believe that? 

I wouldn't write it if I didn't. I only write truths on the internet.

9Danger: Alcohol! Empty Re: Danger: Alcohol! Mon Aug 11 2014, 12:07

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

oh well a rare miss for you in that case.

10Danger: Alcohol! Empty Re: Danger: Alcohol! Mon Aug 11 2014, 12:09

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I believe that fags are more of a danger than alcohol.

11Danger: Alcohol! Empty Re: Danger: Alcohol! Mon Aug 11 2014, 12:15

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:I believe that fags are more of a danger than alcohol.

well you're wrong. 

A team of scientists led by Professor Ulrich John, of the University Medicine Greifswald, Germany, has shown that alcohol consumption is more dangerous than cigarettes.

The research followed 149 alcohol-dependent adults for 14 years and showed:

Alcoholics die 20 years earlier than the general public

People dependent on alcohol live shorter lives than do smokers,

Women are at much greater risk of death than men: Alcohol-dependent women suffer death at a rate 4.6 times higher than average.

Heavy drinking will generally kill more quickly than smoking

12Danger: Alcohol! Empty Re: Danger: Alcohol! Mon Aug 11 2014, 12:28

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I agree with bringing the drink drive limit down to zero as they obviously don't mix very well!

13Danger: Alcohol! Empty Re: Danger: Alcohol! Mon Aug 11 2014, 13:12

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

These comparisons are between alcoholics, which most of us aren't, so is an unfair comparison.  How about some who has a few pints a week and someone who smokes a few a week?

14Danger: Alcohol! Empty Re: Danger: Alcohol! Mon Aug 11 2014, 13:34

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

obviously the variables are practically infinite but even if you consider it a wash, because they're both damaging to health long term, my initial question is still unanswered.

but it's clear that you can damage yourself worse with a night of drinking over a night of chain smoking. (assuming we take two healthy individuals who don't have any underlying problems) not to mention the danger to others, and the cost to the health service. 

So why the completely different approach from our politicians.

15Danger: Alcohol! Empty Re: Danger: Alcohol! Mon Aug 11 2014, 13:37

Because it's in their interest to keep us all semi-permanently pissed up, so we think we're happy and won't start asking difficult questions of them like "Why are you such an obnoxious, out of touch, tax-raising, funding-cutting wanker, Mr Cameron?"

16Danger: Alcohol! Empty Re: Danger: Alcohol! Mon Aug 11 2014, 14:53

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

I saw an article the other day about how you shouldn't drink two nights in a row.

What's the point in these medical recommendations when they'll invariably decide at some point in the future that it's even worse than that?

Why not just say it now?

Don't drink. Don't smoke. Don't enjoy life. Or you'll die.

17Danger: Alcohol! Empty Re: Danger: Alcohol! Mon Aug 11 2014, 15:01

I may have posted this before on here, so I apologise if I have, but I went for my annual MOT at the doctor's a while back and was asked about my alcohol consumption.

Obviously, like everybody does, I played it down a bit and said that me and the wife share three bottles of wine between us, once a week on a Saturday evening.

The nurse typed that into the NHS database thingy on her computer and it flagged up as being "dangerously excessive binge-drinking" and I was promptly given a leaflet and offered counselling.

When I eventually stopped laughing a bit later, I asked my sister about this (she works for the NHS) and she said "Oh yeah, it's the Government's latest targeted initiative. It's all about hitting targets and KPI's and all that bollocks. It'll be something else next year. Just bin it."

We live in an era of governments having to try and demonstrate that they're "tackling the big issues" and showing us statistics to back up their claims and it's all pointless shit that means nothing.

18Danger: Alcohol! Empty Re: Danger: Alcohol! Mon Aug 11 2014, 15:05

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Breadman wrote:

The nurse typed that into the NHS database thingy on her computer and it flagged up as being "dangerously excessive binge-drinking" and I was promptly given a leaflet and offered counselling.

Laughing  They'd ring an ambulance for Magoo.

19Danger: Alcohol! Empty Re: Danger: Alcohol! Mon Aug 11 2014, 15:09

I think they'd just declare him clinically dead on the spot.

20Danger: Alcohol! Empty Re: Danger: Alcohol! Mon Aug 11 2014, 15:19

Numpty 28723

Numpty 28723
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

If anyone was in the navy back when they used to issue a tot of rum to the sailors every day you'd be able to sue the arse off 'em now.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum