Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Super Doog

+9
Tigermin
White84
okocha
Norpig
wanderlust
Natasha Whittam
Reebok Trotter
Hipster_Nebula
Boggersbelief
13 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

1Super Doog Empty Super Doog Wed Sep 24 2014, 11:37

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Can't help but like him after you've read this, he talks a good un. Dougie in!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

2Super Doog Empty Re: Super Doog Wed Sep 24 2014, 11:49

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

This is why I don't understand the abuse he gets, he comes across very well, well reasoned, trying his best in a bit of a shitty situation.

he might not be up to the job but some of the stuff you read you'd think he'd been shitting on fans doorsteps. 

completely different character to Megson who almost invited the fans ire.

3Super Doog Empty Re: Super Doog Wed Sep 24 2014, 11:49

I'm convinced.

Get him signed up for life.

I've booked in at the church to have both my kids re-christened "Douglas", even the girl.

We're as good as promoted already.

And I just know now that we'll put about eight past Chelsea tonight.

Having read that piece, it's become clear that we're going places and I've just re-mortgaged the house and stuck it all on us winning the Champions League before 2017 - it's a shoe-in!

I feel all warm and tingly now......

4Super Doog Empty Re: Super Doog Wed Sep 24 2014, 11:57

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Obviously there are a lot of things that need to be sorted on the field, but I feel somewhat better knowing that we have a plan in place behind the scenes, it makes you think again when you see calls for a new manager, would they really be better than freedman in the long run. As he said we all want instant success but it's just not going to happen yet

5Super Doog Empty Re: Super Doog Wed Sep 24 2014, 12:01

Reebok Trotter

Reebok Trotter
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

A decent interview but ultimately he will be judged on results.

6Super Doog Empty Re: Super Doog Wed Sep 24 2014, 12:30

All joking apart........there's nothing new in that article.

It's just a re-hashing of the same old "we have no money so we need to develop players internally" thing that we've all understood for a while.

And the way he spins it, it was him who came to the club and suggested it and the Board all went "Oh...that's a great idea! Let's do that."

More PR spin, nothing new, no insight into what the plan actually is beyond "don't buy anybody and try to survive with extremely limited resources and hopefully get back to the Prem one day".

How we're going to achieve it is anyone's guess and we've learnt nothing new from that piece.

I'm not reading anything too deep into any of it, as it just confirms a lot of what we've either heard or suspected before.

7Super Doog Empty Re: Super Doog Wed Sep 24 2014, 12:41

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Brilliant, the faces that keep telling us the bullshit Dougie spouts in the local press is just PR guff are now applauding this article and it's sentiment just because it's in the Telegraph.

As RT says, it's all about results. And Dougie doesn't get many good ones.

8Super Doog Empty Re: Super Doog Wed Sep 24 2014, 13:03

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Didn't say anything about the content.

You could drop my comment after his match day interviews too.

I'm questioning why he's so disliked personally. Obviously people are sick of the results and the manager will expect abuse of a sort but it's Megson level, a guy who openly slagged the fans. 

all these interviews are PR the real truth very rarely comes out and if it does it's usually in a bitter interview after a sacking.

9Super Doog Empty Re: Super Doog Wed Sep 24 2014, 13:06

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

It is just PR guff - as you point out it's the same PR guff that has been trotted out before. Whichever rag regurgitates it is irrelevant as it's exactly the same as always i.e. Dougie reading the corporate script.

It's all about results ultimately, but results are determined by resources to a large extent so it all comes down to whether or not you believe that results should always be produced regardless of the available resources or whether you take a more realistic view which says we can't expect good results unless we put in adequate resources. This is the crux of the moaners v happy clappers thing IMO. Or crutch depending on your perspective.

10Super Doog Empty Re: Super Doog Wed Sep 24 2014, 13:22

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

He did actually come across well in that interview, but he's right fans don't really care about long term goals. It's all about the here and now and at the moment he's struggling big time.
If results continue as they are he will definately not be around to see if any of his plans come to fruition.

11Super Doog Empty Re: Super Doog Wed Sep 24 2014, 13:38

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Norpig wrote:He did actually come across well in that interview, but he's right fans don't really care about long term goals. It's all about the here and now and at the moment he's struggling big time.
If results continue as they are he will definately not be around to see if any of his plans come to fruition.
However it's Doug's willingness to play the long term game that has earned him the backing of the Board which is what I've been trying to tell the moaners and all those calling for his head since day 1.

All this nonsense about who we should be beating, his tactical naivete, losing the players etc etc is insignificant in the scheme of things.

If we fall into the bottom 3 and stay there, the pressure to get rid of Dougie will crank up again, but it will have to go really badly - and I mean REALLY badly for them to dump Doug - unless some other mug comes forward.

Dougie knows the score. He's going to have to make do with what he's cobbled together and somehow start to pick up results despite our obvious shitness. And even then he doesn't have to do much more than keep us in the Championship this season - apart from show some sign that youth development is starting to work..

12Super Doog Empty Re: Super Doog Wed Sep 24 2014, 13:43

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Lusty do you think that if we manage to get to mid table and safe that the club would offer Dougie a new contract?

I can imagine the reactions now Laughing

13Super Doog Empty Re: Super Doog Wed Sep 24 2014, 13:43

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Hipster_Nebula wrote:

I'm questioning why he's so disliked personally. Obviously people are sick of the results and the manager will expect abuse of a sort but it's Megson level, a guy who openly slagged the fans. 

Obviously results are always the reason managers get abuse, but I think in Dougie's case complete lack of effort on the pitch is why the abuse has stepped up a notch.

People can cope with poor results, but they can't accept less than 100% effort.

14Super Doog Empty Re: Super Doog Wed Sep 24 2014, 14:06

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

What I've seen hasn't been a lack of effort, it's been a lack of technical ability and talent for the most part.

but welcome to take the opposite view.

15Super Doog Empty Re: Super Doog Wed Sep 24 2014, 14:11

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Hipster_Nebula wrote:What I've seen hasn't been a lack of effort, it's been a lack of technical ability and talent for the most part.

but welcome to take the opposite view.

You can't judge fan feeling sat at home in Aberdeen.

16Super Doog Empty Re: Super Doog Wed Sep 24 2014, 14:32

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Whats what I said got to do with fan feeling?

17Super Doog Empty Re: Super Doog Wed Sep 24 2014, 14:48

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Norpig wrote:Lusty do you think that if we manage to get to mid table and safe that the club would offer Dougie a new contract?

I can imagine the reactions now Laughing
Not sure when his contract expires TBH. 

I'd have thought that mid table this year would be perfectly in line with the longer term vision the Board seem to have so if the contract was up it would probably be renewed.
I do think that survival is the minimum target however I think Dougie will have to show progress in other areas including finances (imagine he's doing well) and youth development (not prepared to risk them yet, so dodgy) Where he might struggle is in evidencing there's a way of getting enough quality in to mount a promotion challenge in the following year or so whilst working within the current financial restraints.

18Super Doog Empty Re: Super Doog Wed Sep 24 2014, 14:49

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Is fan feeling legal?

Thought it was abolished along with badger baiting.

19Super Doog Empty Re: Super Doog Wed Sep 24 2014, 14:52

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Hipster_Nebula wrote:Whats what I said got to do with fan feeling?

I told you why I thought Dougie was getting extra special abuse from my experiences from within the ground. You shot my theory down despite not having set foot in the ground since 1998 when you took a wrong turning on the way to Coventry.

20Super Doog Empty Re: Super Doog Wed Sep 24 2014, 15:06

okocha

okocha
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

"I have to get the place ready for success. Fans probably don’t understand that. They don’t really want to listen to that but at boardroom level they understand that. Hence the reason I’m probably they’d look at why I am still in a job."

What gobbledygook is that?!  Thanks for the condescension, Mr. Unjustifiably Smugly Proud! There are echoes here of Megson's attitudes.

Talk about vague waffle! What exactly is he doing "to get the place ready for success"?  There are NO signs of any consistent, concrete policies in place. Rather, DF is still experimenting, still serving his apprenticeship, as he himself admits. 

Instead we are witnessing: random signings which do not address the needs of the squad; very poor player-development, especially in terms of a youth policy which Dougie claims he is good at and enjoys the most; lunatic team selection and tactics etc. etc......and all delivered with an "I know best" attitude.

If there were any signs of methods in place to improve the long-term standing of the club, I would be the first to applaud, but all the evidence of over two years of work is that we are going backwards and certainly not learning from mistakes.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum