Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Andy Hughes - Lads gave it everything

+6
Hipster_Nebula
BoltonTillIDie
aaron_bwfc
rammywhite
scottjames30
karlypants
10 posters

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Andy Hughes spoke to the media following Bolton's home defeat against Bournemouth. Below is a summary of what was said.

On the result…

It wasn’t the result we would have wanted but I got everything else I wanted from the game. Energy, endeavour, honesty, leadership from the senior players and, the biggest one for me, the fans getting behind the team. I feel like I got the best out of the lads today. I really did. The unfortunate thing was we lacked in the final third, but, as I’ve learned at this club in this town and from the fans, sometimes as long as you have a go they give it you back.

Every single player and member of staff who helped today could look each other in the eye today. Whoever comes in will look at that and take the positives. You are only as good as your last game and I thought we were good today.

We were unfortunate to lose the game, but I’m not going to groan. Bournemouth are a good team and they have a really good young manager and play really good football. They have got good players. We have good players too and we now need to get on with it. There is no point sulking. We need to hit it head on and attack this problem.

On what the club needs...

We need wins, it is as simple as that. We need to do whatever it takes to win.

Whoever is the next manager is going to inherit a pretty wonderful squad. We need someone to come in who is going to lift the lads. I think they were lifted today so the next manager is getting a driven, hungry bunch that are ready to work hard. The players are going to work hard for the town, work hard for each other, and first and foremost, work hard for themselves. That can go home each day, look at themselves in the mirror and think, ‘I’ve had a go today'.

Every player can go home today with their heads held high. They’ll take the positives from the game. There is only one way for this club and it is up.

On the reaction from the fans…

We are professionals. What someone else thinks of us and someone else does is none of our business. All we can do is do what we can for the supporters. Do whatever it takes to win games, to get performances, get people off their seats, get them talking on Monday.

We applauded the fans before we went out and after and it gave both the fans and the players a lift, and they stuck with us.

On his role at the club…

I am employed by the football club and today it was a great honour to be asked to lead the team. I was in the squad as a player on Friday then I get asked to help the club as an employee. I will do whatever is asked of me going forward and it has and will continue to be a very good experience. Whoever comes in here will be an extremely lucky man. If I was a high-class manager with this facility, the training ground, the academy, the town, the fans, I would be chomping at the bit to get the job. Not that I’m after the job. I’m just an old player coming to the end of my career. I’m learning to be a coach but it is a wonderful opportunity. If whoever comes in still wants my help still as a senior player then I’d be honoured to help.

On Mark Davies’ injury…

He felt his knee just before half-time. The lads are gutted for him because he has so much to offer this football club. We won’t know the extent of the injury until the medical staff are able to have a proper look at him.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Hughes joined Bolton Wanderers as a player Coach on 22 July 2014 and plays as a centre midfielder and is 36 years old.

This is something I didn't know...

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Why wasn't Phillips asked to take charge?

I'm totally confused.

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

scottjames30 wrote:Why wasn't Phillips asked to take charge?

I'm totally confused.
No, Lee Turner and Andy Hughes.

rammywhite

rammywhite
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

'I got the best out of the lads today'

If that's the best then we're now beyond redemption. It was pitiful,inept. It was wrong all over the pitch.
Playing against ten men they still had us stretched. They won because they deserved to win.
They were fitter, faster, more fluid and dynamic. They took up positions - and they simply snuffed out our feeble efforts at playing.
Inability to pass, unable to find space I thought that it was a shambles.
It was a game where they should have raised the quality substantially, but failed to do so.
Instead of concentrating on bringing a new manager into the club, we should be concentrating on just how much of the dross on the playing staff that we can get rid off.

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

karlypants wrote:

I'm totally confused.
I know they had taken charge, but why wasn't Phillips asked?

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc

Spearing and some of the other players had a big say on who would be in charge according to the Bolton News.

No matter who was in charge today, it still would have been the same outcome IMO.

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Agree not enough time to do anything apart from change the starting 11

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Because our defence is shit, we might as well play 3-5-2

rammywhite

rammywhite
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

scottjames30 wrote:Because our defence is shit, we might as well play 3-5-2

Its not just the defence- midfield was absent in the second half after Mavies had his annual injury.
I suppose that's him finished for a few months.
The attack were clumsy.
Far too much was wrong today to suggest that it can be mended soon.
I've never really thought that relegation was on the cards- that we would always turn it around.
For the first time today, I have begun to fear that it's a possibility

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

scottjames30 wrote:
karlypants wrote:

I'm totally confused.
I know they had taken charge, but why wasn't Phillips asked?

because he's not been around the first team at all?

there's no difference between him and Hughes tbh, both coaches. JP bit more experience with youngsters. Neither of them are qualified to manage the first team IMO.

Bolton Nuts

Admin

Bournmouth were the better team, with 11 men and with 10. We had some decent spells at points but we would have been lucky to draw. On another day they might also have had a penalty and a couple of Lonergan fingertip saves might have been goals nit to mention a couple of worldie clearances off the line. And also, in fairness their red card could have been yellow - it was dangerous play but not violent conduct.

https://boltonnuts.forumotion.co.uk

rammywhite

rammywhite
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Biggie wrote:Bournmouth were the better team, with 11 men and with 10. We had some decent spells at points but we would have been lucky to draw. On another day they might also have had a penalty and a couple of Lonergan fingertip saves might have been goals nit to mention a couple of worldie clearances off the line. And also, in fairness their red card could have been yellow - it was dangerous play but not violent conduct.

Put more simply- they tommed us!

Bolton Nuts

Admin

rammywhite wrote:
Biggie wrote:Bournmouth were the better team, with 11 men and with 10. We had some decent spells at points but we would have been lucky to draw. On another day they might also have had a penalty and a couple of Lonergan fingertip saves might have been goals nit to mention a couple of worldie clearances off the line. And also, in fairness their red card could have been yellow - it was dangerous play but not violent conduct.

Put more simply- they tommed us!

There isn't a simple way to put it really because, like a true football manager, i could see positives.

Oh but forgot to mention our goal was a wicked deflection of a fluke.

https://boltonnuts.forumotion.co.uk

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Somebody mentioned earlier that JP had stated he wasn't interested in the job so had ruled himself out of the running.

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

I'm totally confused.
Scott I think JP has probably made it clear he doesn't want the job again, not even as a caretaker. If I remember rightly he said last time he didn't want to be a manager and was only holding the fort until someone else came in. He's happy to coach and doesn't want the other responsibilities that come with the 'big' chair. 

I don't know that for a fact of course but it would make sense that he may have already told the board he doesn't want it and of course they wouldn't publicly state he's ruled himself out of even a temporary role. Maybe the board didn't even ask him because they already knew what he'd say and I would not be surprised if they got his opinion as to who else could do the interim job.

Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

luckyPeterpiper wrote:

I'm totally confused.
Scott I think JP has probably made it clear he doesn't want the job again, not even as a caretaker. If I remember rightly he said last time he didn't want to be a manager and was only holding the fort until someone else came in. He's happy to coach and doesn't want the other responsibilities that come with the 'big' chair. 

I don't know that for a fact of course but it would make sense that he may have already told the board he doesn't want it and of course they wouldn't publicly state he's ruled himself out of even a temporary role. Maybe the board didn't even ask him because they already knew what he'd say and I would not be surprised if they got his opinion as to who else could do the interim job.
I know for a fact he doesn't want the job.

Explain please........?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum