No longer a threat to society?
Britain's most notorious police killer faces spending the rest of his life behind bars following revelations in The Mail on Sunday about how he terrorised a woman who he worked with on day release.
Harry Roberts, 72 - jailed for life for murdering three unarmed policemen in 1966 - was told by the Parole Board last week that he will remain in the Category 'C' closed prison at Littlehey, Cambridgeshire, as he is still a risk to the public.
Experts said that Roberts has little or no chance of ever being allowed back into the community.
And sources close to Justice Secretary Jack Straw indicated that although the Parole Board is responsible for any decisions about Roberts's release, murderers are normally kept in jail if considered a 'significant' risk to the public.
In April, The Mail on Sunday exclusively revealed how from his cell Roberts orchestrated a five-year campaign of intimidation against Joan Cartwright, 65, and her son, including horrific attacks on her animals.
Mrs Cartwright works at an animal sanctuary in the Midlands, where Roberts worked on day release from Sudbury open prison.
When she secretly complained about his behaviour, he was moved from an open prison to a closed one.
But he then initiated his hate campaign in a bid to stop Mrs Cartwright and her son giving evidence against him at a parole hearing.
The triple murderer rang Mrs Cartwright up to five times a week for nearly four years from Channings Wood prison in Devon.
The calls included terrifying veiled threats that coincided with the attacks on her animals.
In the worst incident, a horse's head was hacked at with an axe the night before Mrs Cartwright and her son were due to give evidence.
Another of Mrs Cartwright's horses had to be put down days after her husband Peter had resisted giving Roberts a character reference.
Other assaults between 2002 and 2006 led to a horse losing an eye; a donkey dying after its pelvis was shattered, probably with a baseball bat; the family's pet cat being electrocuted, and a peacock being strangled.
Roberts also coerced Mrs Cartwright to visit him in jail, so he could repeat his threats to her face.
After several parole hearings Roberts was refused release in December 2006 because of Mrs Cartwright's evidence. But he had another chance to apply this year, which was turned down last week.
Mrs Cartwright was only able to speak about her ordeal after The Mail on Sunday persuaded a judge to lift a court order shielding her identity.
Roberts has denied all the allegations.
Yet far from being relieved about last week's decision to keep Roberts behind bars, Mrs Cartwright and her son believe they are now at even greater risk with the police killer remaining in jail.
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1202193/Triple-police-killer-Harry-Roberts-stay-jail-revelations-The-Mail-Sunday.html#ixzz3GxXXbetr