Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

It's Crazy Catholic Time Again!

+8
wanderlust
scottjames30
B.D.P
boltonbonce
Natasha Whittam
Soul Kitchen
Hipster_Nebula
xmiles
12 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

Any attempt by religious extremists to impose their deluded views on others is wrong.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-29993924

i don't think this is that crazy xmiles to be fair.  It is personal preference on whether to be a part of terminating a human life or not.

i'm catholic and have no problem choosing what they want to do with their body, but if i was asked to be a part of it and help people to terminate pregnancies i wouldn't.  Not that it is my job and i wouldn't have a clue where to start, but i imagine nurses and doctors and surgeons get into there chosen field to save lives

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

I probably need to provide a little background to this post.

I created this thread to make the point that there is a difference between religious intolerance and being bigoted against particular religions. The It's Crazy Islamic thread has degenerated into some quite nasty material lumping all Muslims with the nut jobs killing people in Iraq, Syria, Nigeria , etc.

This story is about two people pushing their religious beliefs beyond what is reasonable and thus as the Royal College of Midwives says "If this decision is upheld it will require all professional guidance to be rewritten and will enable a tiny number of staff opposed to abortion to make women's care undeliverable in some NHS settings in the UK."

So there was no intention to offend Catholics, only those seeking to impose their belifs on other people.

i understand that xmiles, and i'm avoiding that thread you've mentioned above due to the content that has been posted on there lately.

but i think from a point of view of the midwives, they do need to seperate the two "jobs" as one is about caring and bringing a life into the world and one is terminating it, that's just my opinion and taking a religious view out of the equation.  On the other and, why have they only just raised it as being an issue now?

i'm not one for people forcing religion down your throat either, i had a couple of friends in my last job who where muslim and what a top couple of lads they were.  they never even mentioned it apart from when it came to ramadam and one of the lads always struggled with it.  He never stopped doing it but you could see how tired and lathargic he would become and he wouldn't moan, just get on with it.    after all we are all human and there are good ones and bad ones regardless of race, religion etc.

xmiles

xmiles
Jay Jay Okocha
Jay Jay Okocha

I don't think our views are that far apart y2johnny. I would have preferred to start this thread with an example of some of the creationist nonsense spouted by the religious nutters in America (dinosaurs lived at the same time as humans, etc) but I didn't have a current news story to hand and I was pretty unhappy about some of the latest posts on the other thread.

Maybe I should re-title the thread as It's Crazy Christian Time Again.

haha, you've not offended me, nor anyone else probably!

Did you see the louis theroux thing when he went seeing all the "christians" who protested at soldiers funerals and things like that?

Now that really knocked me sick!

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I don't understand why a religious person would be a midwife, doctor or... anything really.

why do you need to treat a disease if God is real? or deliver a baby?

Come on HN, don't make us start a thread saying "It's crazy atheist time again!" Wink

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I'm being serious? 

I'm asking the question of religious people, I'm fully aware why we need doctors and midwifes and what an incredible job they do. Nothing crazy about that I don't think.

maybe they feel God gave them the talent to help people less fortunate than themselves, i honestly don't know hipster.  i've never really thought about it before.  Why did (i know you are going to say a fictional book blah blah blah) god send jesus down to do things he surely could have done himself.

For me it's not so much about faith, the afterlife, etc.  it's more about morals, and one thing a lot of people who claim to be religious do is forget that.  If they didn't then there wouldn't be half the problems there is in the world.

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

All good questions honestly. 

I just find it funny that when people are "cured" or recover from something and they say "I just want to thank god" well why seek treatment if God was going to cure you anyway? 

Good point about morals, there wouldn't be half the problems in the world if people didn't pretend morals came from the bible (or any other holy book) thats for sure.

Hipster_Nebula wrote:I'm being serious? 

I'm asking the question of religious people, I'm fully aware why we need doctors and midwifes and what an incredible job they do. Nothing crazy about that I don't think.

This is a point that I've considered quite a bit myself.

How do these religious types (of all denominations) reconcile their spiritual beliefs with their science based jobs?

By that I mean, say you're a devout "born againner" but you're also a doctor working in the ER (there must be some in America) and a guy comes in with a gun shot wound to the head.

If you just stand there, he'll die.

If you act, he might live.

Would that be god's will in action?

Or is it you as a human who decides his fate?

They hide behind the "Lord moving in mysterious ways" excuse if it all goes tits up and that's a cop out for me.

And this is where it all falls down for me.

When there's a flood and loads of people die, you get 'em popping up on telly banging on about how "the Lord has saved" the lucky few who manage to cling onto branches and rocks, but what about the others who drowned?

Why did't god step in and bail them out?

But the religious nutters don't even consider this, they just focus on the one or two who survived and try using this as some sort of justification of how brilliant god is.

It doesn't make any sense.....

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Totally agree bread. 

and as for Gods will in action if the doctor was a true believer he wouldn't act surely because he would be standing in the way of Gods true plan, which was to have that person shot by someone else... for... some reason or other.

Breadman wrote:
Hipster_Nebula wrote:I'm being serious? 

This is a point that I've considered quite a bit myself.

How do these religious types (of all denominations) reconcile their spiritual beliefs with their science based jobs?

By that I mean, say you're a devout "born againner" but you're also a doctor working in the ER (there must be some in America) and a guy comes in with a gun shot wound to the head.

If you just stand there, he'll die.

If you act, he might live.

Would that be god's will in action?

Or is it you as a human who decides his fate?

They hide behind the "Lord moving in mysterious ways" excuse if it all goes tits up and that's a cop out for me.

And this is where it all falls down for me.

When there's a flood and loads of people die, you get 'em popping up on telly banging on about how "the Lord has saved" the lucky few who manage to cling onto branches and rocks, but what about the others who drowned?

Why did't god step in and bail them out?

But the religious nutters don't even consider this, they just focus on the one or two who survived and try using this as some sort of justification of how brilliant god is.

It doesn't make any sense.....

and this is the reason why i am the way i am.  Because as you've said above, it's bollocks.

Concentrate on living your life and treating people the way you want to be treated and listen to a bit of john lennon for good measure!

Hipster_Nebula wrote:Totally agree bread. 

and as for Gods will in action if the doctor was a true believer he wouldn't act surely because he would be standing in the way of Gods true plan, which was to have that person shot by someone else... for... some reason or other.

Going off at a bit of a tangent here, but bear with me.

We watched "The Frighteners" the other night and Michael J Fox's first wife (who he loved very much) died in a car crash.

He then gets romantically involved with some other bird and via a circuitous plot twist, ends up popping up to heaven for a bit and meeting his wife's spirit.

She smiles and tells him to "crack on" with the new bird and he returns to Earth and gets down and dirty with his new squeeze - happy days!

I turned to Mrs B and asked her how that would work out when he and wife No2 both died and went to heaven.

Would he spend eternity cohabiting with both of them or would he have to pick one?

And how would the spurned Mrs Fox deal with it?

I'm being glib now, but this is the sort of point that I think your average religious type doesn't put enough time into addressing.

Because if they did, they'd see the whole idea of eternal life is contradictory bollocks.

Soul Kitchen

Soul Kitchen
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Ms Doogan, from Garrowhill in Glasgow, and Mrs Wood, from Clarkston in East Renfrewshire, were employed as labour ward co-ordinators at the Southern General Hospital in Glasgow.

I wonder if they are in the pew's on Sunday?

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

The anti-religious hate on here is sickening, every bit as bad as anything spouted by White84 and his fellow KKK members.

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:The anti-religious hate on here is sickening, every bit as bad as anything spouted by White84 and his fellow KKK members.

Don't worry, Nat - chill out!

We'll (apparently) get what's coming in the afterlife for being nasty about God.

It'll be eternal damnation and red hot pokers up the pumper all round for us.

.......if you're right about the whole "God existing" thing, that is.........obviously.

(I'll continue to take my chances thanks.)

B.D.P

B.D.P
David Lee
David Lee

Brainwashed fools.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum