Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Chris Eagles: 'Dougie Freedman showed me no respect on Bolton Wanderers exit'

+3
luckyPeterpiper
NickFazer
karlypants
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Chris Eagles has broken his silence, revealing that he left Wanderers in the summer because he “didn’t like” former boss Dougie Freedman.

The midfielder, who is poised to make his debut against Bolton for Blackpool this weekend, found himself frozen out under Freedman in the final few months of last season.

He had previously been an integral member of the Whites side for two-and-a-half years, making more than 100 appearances.

But Eagles accused Freedman of showing “no respect” in the final throes of his Wanderers career.

“Now I can say my piece about what happened at Bolton,” he said. “I believe Dougie Freedman was saying I was a disruptive influence and they never offered me a contract.

“They offered me a number of contracts but I felt it wasn’t worth signing. I didn’t like him and I didn’t like the way he managed.

“He showed me no respect, which is a shame as I loved it at Bolton. I would like to thank Bolton and their fans. I’ve had to keep my mouth shut.”

Source

NickFazer

NickFazer
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Thing about respect is that you have to earn it. Mind you he ain't on his own when it comes to understanding that, plenty come out with the "lack of respect" bollocks and don't have a clue what it means.

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Another backshooter. I was among those who clamoured for Freedman's removal but this business of sticking the boot in after he's gone by players who don't play for us anymore sticks in my craw. DF did his best, it wasn't good enough, he lost his job. The end. Move on Eagles, Bolton Wanderers are not your concern now and you didn't show much of that when you were employed by us anyway.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

luckyPeterpiper wrote:Another backshooter. I was among those who clamoured for Freedman's removal but this business of sticking the boot in after he's gone by players who don't play for us anymore sticks in my craw. DF did his best, it wasn't good enough, he lost his job. The end. Move on Eagles, Bolton Wanderers are not your concern now and you didn't show much of that when you were employed by us anyway.

I think it's important to know when managers have left players out for personal reasons rather than put the team first.

In our first season back in the Championship Eagles was our leading scorer and creator. Last season he got injured early on and never got a decent run in the team after that. Strange, especially when the team was playing badly.

You say Freedman did his best - I disagree, in my opinion somewhere along the journey he let his ego take over and decisions were made to back up his ridiculous ideas, not the benefit of BWFC.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:
luckyPeterpiper wrote:Another backshooter. I was among those who clamoured for Freedman's removal but this business of sticking the boot in after he's gone by players who don't play for us anymore sticks in my craw. DF did his best, it wasn't good enough, he lost his job. The end. Move on Eagles, Bolton Wanderers are not your concern now and you didn't show much of that when you were employed by us anyway.

I think it's important to know when managers have left players out for personal reasons rather than put the team first.

In our first season back in the Championship Eagles was our leading scorer and creator. Last season he got injured early on and never got a decent run in the team after that. Strange, especially when the team was playing badly.

You say Freedman did his best - I disagree, in my opinion somewhere along the journey he let his ego take over and decisions were made to back up his ridiculous ideas, not the benefit of BWFC.

By the time Eagles was dropped he was playing very poorly running around like a headless chicken with no end product and deserved to be dropped IMO. Never thought he wouldn't fight for his place and that we'd seen the last of him in a white shirt though.
It may well be the case that Eagles and Freedman didn't hit it off but I suspect Eagles' attitude played as much a part in the breakdown of relationships as Freedman being dogmatic.
Frankly if a player won't train properly and is disruptive to the team I would expect the manager to leave them out, regardless of how good an individual is. That may be detrimental to the team in the short term - which is a shame - but it's a better option than letting a player think he's bigger than the club IMO.

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Chris Eagles launches war of words with Dougie Freedman

Chris Eagles has launched a verbal attack on former boss Dougie Freedman, accusing him of forcing him out of Wanderers last summer.

The midfielder, who could make his debut for Blackpool against Neil Lennon’s on-song Whites at Bloomfield Road this weekend, has chosen to break his silence after signing a two-month deal with the Seasiders.

In a pointed statement released on Blackpool’s official website, the former Manchester United youth product claimed he turned down the chance to stay with Bolton because of his deteriorating relationship with the manager.

“Now I can say my piece about what happened at Bolton,” he said yesterday. “I believe Dougie Freedman was saying I was a disruptive influence and they never offered me a contract.

“They offered me a number of contracts but I felt it wasn’t worth signing. I didn’t like him and I didn’t like the way he managed.

“He showed me no respect, which is a shame as I loved it at Bolton. I would like to thank Bolton and their fans. I’ve had to keep my mouth shut.”

Freedman, who parted company with Wanderers on October 3, declined to comment extensively when approached by The Bolton News – stating simply that to publicly criticise individual players was “not my style.”

But the timing of Eagles’ comeback has certainly cranked up the excitement as Lennon’s side go to the home of their old Lancashire rivals in search of their third successive Championship victory.

The 29-year-old has trained with Millwall and Everton’s development squad in recent weeks before linking up with Blackpool.

And while his lack of football means he is far from guaranteed a starting spot, Eagles has indicated he is ready to get involved against his former club.

“It's going to be an emotional game, but it's my career and I'm nothing to do with Bolton anymore,” he said. “How long I'll last I don't know, I'll have to keep looking at the Gaffer.

“Obviously I know a lot of their lads, but for me it's just a game. I'm a Blackpool player now for the next few months, so I want to get a win for us.”

Wanderers have sold out their allocation of tickets for Saturday’s clash at Bloomfield Road, a ground where they have not won since 1977.

Frank Worthington and Neil Whatmore were on target the last time a Bolton side took three points from the Fylde Coast, a season in which Ian Greaves’ side won the old Division Two title and Blackpool were relegated.

Source

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

wanderlust wrote:
By the time Eagles was dropped he was playing very poorly running around like a headless chicken with no end product and deserved to be dropped IMO.

I recall a match last season, against Doncaster I think.
Eagles was superb, he looked like his old self, everybody could see it.
Did he start the next match? Did he balls.
It's just what off form players need isn't it...dumped on the bench the minute they show signs of recovery!
This was a recurring theme under Freedman as far as I'm concerned.

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Freedman was an utter disgrace to football.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum