Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Preparations must start for next season now.

+9
wessy
Boggersbelief
Hipster_Nebula
aaron_bwfc
Bwfc1958
luckyPeterpiper
doffcocker
observer
wanderful life
13 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

wanderful life

Mario Jardel
Mario Jardel

After a great start eventually the odd bit of bad luck,Wolves last week,when the match was as good as won.
Having such a bad start we must be thankful we are not in a relegation scrap.

The two FA Cup matches without doubt affected our Leauge form.
The effort put in by the team with ten men was excellent.If we can start the season with that type of effort and with a bit of youth and experience,I don't think we will be to far off.

We need to try and keep the injuries down,and keep Mark Davies on the field rather than in the treatment 
Room,wether that will happen is yet to be seen.

We need a striker and hopefully kris commons can join Lennons Revolution.

observer

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

wanderful life wrote:After a great start eventually the odd bit of bad luck,Wolves last week,when the match was as good as won.
Having such a bad start we must be thankful we are not in a relegation scrap.

The two FA Cup matches without doubt affected our Leauge form.
The effort put in by the team with ten men was excellent.If we can start the season with that type of effort and with a bit of youth and experience,I don't think we will be to far off.

We need to try and keep the injuries down,and keep Mark Davies on the field rather than in the treatment 
Room,wether that will happen is yet to be seen.

We need a striker and hopefully kris commons can join Lennons Revolution.
Forget Commons (signed a 2-year deal this week) and we need to find a starting eleven on the pitch rather than in the physio room.  We have lost too many starters... and without Mills and Pratley, our starting eleven is made up of players seeing each other for the first time.  NL had us on a roll, but these injuries have really hurt us.  You are correct that it is time to prep for next season and find a healthy eleven.

doffcocker

doffcocker
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

People just get so carried away when a new manager comes in and has a honeymoon period, it's like it's the end of the world when it ends and it's back to reality.

In a way, it's a curse that Lennon had such a brilliant start because instead of being pleased that we've got an excellent chance of staying up, we're disappointed that we probably won't make the play-offs.

For me, nothing has really changed. We've not been playing much differently in the last few weeks to how we were playing when Lennon first came in. We've obviously been conceding more goals in the last few weeks but there were a number matches earlier on where we were lucky not to concede more than we did.

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

For me it's all been about next season since Freedman was finally shown the door. 

We know we lack strength in depth and quality in certain areas of the pitch but Neil does seem to be addressing those issues as fast as he can given the constraints on our finances. I don't agree with cocker that we've ridden our luck in earlier games. For me the difference between now and a month ago lies in two key places. First, Lonergan is a decent keeper but it's become more and more apparent to me that Adam Bogdan is better. And second, we've still to properly address the striker situation. Heskey and Gudjohnsen were never going to be the answer by themselves. Both men are not starters for me now, they're best use is as impact subs. We need a young and quality striker, preferably two and for my money Cravies is never going to fill that role well enough. 

Chuck in the loss of CYL and Mason, add the fact we played a lot of games in a short space of time and what's really happening is that we're seeing yet again just how threadbare our squad really is. I expect Neil wants to be showing the door to a number of the current squad and trying to replace them with quality rather than quantity in summer but whether or not he can do that will depend entirely on finances. I hope the current crop of loanees can add something to us and that if they are successful we'll be able to hang onto them. In my opinion the fact we keep having to borrow players then send them back just as they start to really settle in doesn't help.

Bwfc1958

Bwfc1958
Tinned Toms - You know it makes sense!

Welcome back 84. I wasn't sure if it was you at first but reading that first paragraph, I'm in no doubt.

You're right that we should use this season to prep for next season. As much as I hate to admit it, the playoffs look beyond our capabilities at this point.
We have no chance of signing commons but going off what Lennons said recently he should have a little scope for bringing in one or two new faces in the summer. Automatic promotion could be just out of our reach but the playoffs are definitely within reach next year I think.

aaron_bwfc

aaron_bwfc

We can prepare all we like but until our away form is sorted we're going nowhere IMO, add to that we can't keep hold of the ball for toffee doesn't really bode well.

I think Lennon will manage to sort out both weaknesses but it needs to happen quickly.

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Need to get the points in the bag to stay up ASAP then get people like Vela and Clough as many minutes as possible. Next season is a big one, but still work to do this season.

wanderful life

Mario Jardel
Mario Jardel

A fit Mark Davies for a full season would help.Will it happen I seriously doubt it.

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Agree with HN about getting the young lads as much game time as possible, they need time to get used to this league, likewise NL.. He's still getting to grips with a new league.

This is a season of transition, a lot to look forward to next season IMO.. Pitty it's so far away.

wessy

wessy
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

Room
Ha Ha to dream the impossible dream this is a guy who would be out if he had sleep in his eye, or chapped lips. i for one have given up on this 5 match ponce.

wessy

wessy
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

We need to keep Vela, Clough, and Clayton fit for a start. Mavies just can't do it if i he wore acrash helmet he would be out with concusion

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Mavies won't be here next season.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

scottjames30 wrote:Mavies won't be here next season.

One of the worst signings in our history. The guy has no fucking shame. Utter, utter ponce.

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Is he out of contract in the summer?

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

scottjames30 wrote:Is he out of contract in the summer?

I think Freedman gave him a 25 year contract.

Boggersbelief

Boggersbelief
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Natasha Whittam wrote:
scottjames30 wrote:Mavies won't be here next season.

One of the worst signings in our history. The guy has no fucking shame. Utter, utter ponce.
How does he have no shame?

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Boggersbelief wrote:

He continues to take his fat wage home every week.

observer

Andy Walker
Andy Walker

Natasha Whittam wrote:
Boggersbelief wrote:

He continues to take his fat wage home every week.
Did we cut Dougie's gardening leave payment by his taking the new job at NF?

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

luckyPeterpiper wrote:For me it's all been about next season since Freedman was finally shown the door. 

We know we lack strength in depth and quality in certain areas of the pitch but Neil does seem to be addressing those issues as fast as he can given the constraints on our finances. I don't agree with cocker that we've ridden our luck in earlier games. For me the difference between now and a month ago lies in two key places. First, Lonergan is a decent keeper but it's become more and more apparent to me that Adam Bogdan is better. And second, we've still to properly address the striker situation. Heskey and Gudjohnsen were never going to be the answer by themselves. Both men are not starters for me now, they're best use is as impact subs. We need a young and quality striker, preferably two and for my money Cravies is never going to fill that role well enough. 

Chuck in the loss of CYL and Mason, add the fact we played a lot of games in a short space of time and what's really happening is that we're seeing yet again just how threadbare our squad really is. I expect Neil wants to be showing the door to a number of the current squad and trying to replace them with quality rather than quantity in summer but whether or not he can do that will depend entirely on finances. I hope the current crop of loanees can add something to us and that if they are successful we'll be able to hang onto them. In my opinion the fact we keep having to borrow players then send them back just as they start to really settle in doesn't help.

The Freedman excuse yet again. Nothing to do with Lennon's failings I suppose - or moreover accepting the fact that our squad is poor, paper thin and we haven't got the finances to buy another.

My concern for next season is that Lennon has continued Freedman's task of getting rid of the higher paid players and rather than buying affordable replacements, Lennon has mainly opted for loaners.

The dilemma is this:
If the loaners do well and get us into the playoffs this season it will increase the demand for Lennon to go to a premiership club (unless by some miracle we are actually promoted in which case we have a chance of him staying)
If Lennon leaves, the next manager will inherit bugger all as despite the loaners doing well, they are mainly out of our financial reach and I've seen figures in excess of £2 mill for Slavchev for example.

If the loaners crash and burn and we get relegated Lennon will be off or fired, but at least the finances will be geared towards League One. The downside is we'd lose more players and Lennon has got rid of some of the League 1 level youth players who could do a job for us in that situation.

The likeliest scenario is that we'll survive the drop but fail to trouble the scorers at the top half of the division. Maybe Lennon would stay but I'm not too sure. Either way the more talented players may feel restless and unless there's a change of personnel or minds in the Boardroom we won't be spending big in a bid for promotion 2015/16.

After this January I reckon Lennon has been firmly non-commital. He's trialling the loaners and has set the scene for a fresh start/clean sheet in the summer - whether under him or another manager.

I therefore doubt that much if anything will be done to prepare for next season

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Lusty i have come to the conclusion that you are in fact Dougie in disguise, the man could and can do no wrong in your eyes.

i think we will finish mid table this season and then hopefully we can offload some of the many central midfielders Dougie (yes Dougie) left us with. I can't see Medo or Spearing coming back next season and also Andrews will finally be off the books. Lennon has already said he is interested in making some of the loan deals permanent if they can perform (the lad from United and Bannen) and Twardzik signed on a free

i am optimistic for next season and expect us to be pushing for a play off place, we have some good youngsters making their mark now like Vela and Clough and we have Clayton to come back as well.

I certainly feel more confident going forward with Lennon than Freedman thats for sure.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum