Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Are armchair fans opinions of the match valid?

+13
luckyPeterpiper
boltonbonce
Boggersbelief
Norpig
bryan458
Reebok_Rebel
Reebok Trotter
Hipster_Nebula
scottjames30
Natasha Whittam
BoltonTillIDie
Keegan
Sluffy
17 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 3]

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Bollotom2014 wrote:Worrabout a bloke, or blokess, sittin in front of a BFO TV in HD? Surely he can make some valid input as to how the game goes/will go/went, even if he is in Norfolk, though WTF anyone wants to go to Norfolk is anyones' guess.

Smile Personally, I came to Norfolk for the sex which is unusual around here as all my relatives are oop North.

Sluffy makes a good point about having the insight of an ex-player. When you know how difficult it is when you're at full stretch trying to control a bad pass and/or being closed down by high calibre athletes (and I've been lucky enough to play against pro footballers and they are fookin' quick despite what the media say about some) I marvel at how any move ever comes together, because in football there's so much that can go wrong playing at that speed.
A player at least knows what they are trying to do and can appreciate it even when it looks crap to the "untrained eye".
That said former players who are pundits tend to speak a stock language so if for example a cross skims off the top of a forward's head it's usually the forward who has mistimed his jump rather than an overhit cross in their book so there's always room for interpretation - and therefore variance in opinion.

I fully echo and endorse Lusty's thoughts on this.

The best player I have ever played alongside was John McGinlay's brother.

Long story short, we brought him in as a ringer to play for our pub team when he was down visiting his brother in Bolton one weekend in 1995.

He played as a semi-pro in the Highland League and I was his CB partner on the day.

As Lusty says, it was incredible to behold what he could do.

I don't mean he had "unbelievable tekkers" in a Soccer AM sense, he was just so composed on the ball, his positional sense was incredible and he really made playing the game look easy.

He basically organised us as a back four by constantly pointing out where we should be and what we should be doing and it really worked.

I always thought I was a decent Sunday League level defender but this guy made me realise that I didn't really have a clue and was just a glorified ball-chaser.

And he couldn't even get a full time gig in the Scottish Third Division.

Really opened my eyes that day.

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I played to a decent level, my 1994 volley at Deepdale is still talked about in the Preston pubs.

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

bwfc1874 wrote:
If he doesn't post on here why don't you say who it is?

Don't worry I'm not talking about you!

His latest post included this -

"Paddy McCarthy is a decent player, though. Bit slow on the turn, but he reads the game well and organises a defence".

I guess he must have seen quite a bit of him to come up with that up to minute informed opinion, you would suspect?

But how could he - McCarthy has been out injured for the last TWO YEARS!

He's just started playing again - a dozen games for Sheffield United in League 1, this season.  

Maybe our 'know it all' as been a regular at Bramall Lane then?

Nope our man follows Bolton on match days (or so he claims).

Where then does he come by this informed current knowledge of the player?

A couple of seasons old Footy Manager perhaps!

(Or as he simply made it all up to make himself look big and knowledgeable - on an internet footy forum - full of strangers and fake accounts!)

Pathetic.

(It does make me laugh though!).

Very Happy

Maybe he'd seen McCarthy play before he got injured?

Seems like a reasonable overview of a players ability to me hardly in depth.

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

I agree Sluffy, funny stuff Very Happy

Sluffy

Sluffy
Admin

bwfc1874 wrote:Maybe he'd seen McCarthy play before he got injured?

Yeah right!

How many players are the same after a two year lay off - not many.

Might as well critique my playing style of twenty years ago for all the relevance of how I play today.

He's obviously not seen McCarthy play in the last THREE SEASONS, (two seasons injured plus the current one where he's playing in division three!) since his injury.

He simply spouts bullshit to seemingly big himself up on the internet - I can't think of any other reason to do it - can you?

Pathetic.

Sluffy wrote:

Yeah right!

Might as well critique my playing style of twenty years ago for all the relevance of how I play today.

He's obviously not seen McCarthy play in the last THREE SEASONS, (two seasons injured plus the current one where he's playing in division three!) since his injury.

He simply spouts bullshit to seemingly big himself up on the internet - I can't think of any other reason to do it - can you?

Pathetic.
i think thats az real az an opinion you can give sluffy

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Sluffy wrote:

Too lightweight.

Sluffy wrote:

Yeah right!

Pathetic.

Don't know, you probably know this poster more but to me it seems like a reasonable opinion, maybe he should have caveated with something about his injury but Paddy McCarthy is far from a nobody don't think it's necessarily a case he invented an opinion.

terenceanne

terenceanne
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

You can't base a TV opinion on just a couple of highlights. However if you sat and watched the whole game on TV I think you can have a decent opinion. Naturally you can't see who is running off the ball etc..or who is wide open and doesn't get the ball.

I have never seen Messi or Ronaldo play in a live game but I think they might be good 'uns based on me just seeing them on the tele.  I watch Chelski on the TV...they seem like a halfway decent team to me......just my TV opinion though Smile

Agree with that Terrence but under Freedman you made plenty of judgements on match performances off the possession statistics on BBC.

Keegan

Keegan
Admin

y2johnny wrote:i think thats az real az an opinion you can give sluffy

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

https://forum.boltonnuts.co.uk

wessy

wessy
El Hadji Diouf
El Hadji Diouf

I think they are the same person, The fan attending his own club games as i do, becomes an armchair fan whilst watching other teams on telly, all opinions are valid, i would be more interested in the views of someone who actually attends because they pick up on the mood of the crowd and banter of the crowd and see runs off the ball. 

However if i watch a game on TV i have an opinion based on what i see and how i understand the game from playing/watching for 50 odd years. If pushed on a point i would probably give way to someone who was actually there unless it was easier to see by the several camera angles on view.

How many times do you come home from a game to re watch a goal or big decision because it was hard to call in real time. both have merit.

wanderlust

wanderlust
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Some years ago I took a reluctant girlfriend to a home game and it was one of the worst adverts for football you'd ever see. The tedium was only interrupted by a screamer from Nathan Blake that gave us victory but the gf missed it and was gutted there were no replays from several angles and in slo-mo. Her first and, to my knowledge, her last live game.

Keegan wrote:
y2johnny wrote:i think thats az real az an opinion you can give sluffy

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
i'm here all week Smile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum