Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Firearms laws. UK vs US.

+6
Jake McHale
Copper Dragon
Natasha Whittam
wanderlust
Reebok Trotter
Reebok_Rebel
10 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Would you own a firearm if you could?

Firearms laws. UK vs US.  - Page 5 Vote_lcap31%Firearms laws. UK vs US.  - Page 5 Vote_rcap 31% [ 4 ]
Firearms laws. UK vs US.  - Page 5 Vote_lcap69%Firearms laws. UK vs US.  - Page 5 Vote_rcap 69% [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 13

Poll closed

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 7]

81Firearms laws. UK vs US.  - Page 5 Empty Re: Firearms laws. UK vs US. Thu Mar 26 2015, 15:25

Sorry, Hipster - can't agree.

Have you ever been there when your dog gets put down?

It's fucking horrible and certainly isn't "instant", as I was always lead to believe.

A bullet through the swede would be far quicker and cause less distress in my honest view.

82Firearms laws. UK vs US.  - Page 5 Empty Re: Firearms laws. UK vs US. Thu Mar 26 2015, 15:28

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Well I'll leave to a vet honestly, but yes sadly I saw my dog put down and he didn't move a muscle just went out like a light. 

I wouldn't have wanted to see him shot in front of me.

83Firearms laws. UK vs US.  - Page 5 Empty Re: Firearms laws. UK vs US. Thu Mar 26 2015, 15:30

Sounds like you dropped lucky there.

I've been there twice (at different vets) and both times the poor little bastards took a good 30 seconds to go and it was fucking heartbreaking.

84Firearms laws. UK vs US.  - Page 5 Empty Re: Firearms laws. UK vs US. Thu Mar 26 2015, 15:32

Hipster_Nebula

Hipster_Nebula
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

well granted my dog was very ill before going so wasn't exactly a bundle of energy might have had something to do with it.

I do trust these vets to do whats best for the animal, if they told me it'd be better to shoot him I'd take that advice but I wouldn't want to see it.

85Firearms laws. UK vs US.  - Page 5 Empty Re: Firearms laws. UK vs US. Thu Mar 26 2015, 15:34

Hipster_Nebula wrote:Well I'll leave to a vet honestly, but yes sadly I saw my dog put down and he didn't move a muscle just went out like a light. 

I wouldn't have wanted to see him shot in front of me.
I'm with you HN, having been through this only a few months ago, it was quick and peaceful.  rather than a big bang and blood stained walls.

86Firearms laws. UK vs US.  - Page 5 Empty Re: Firearms laws. UK vs US. Thu Mar 26 2015, 15:51

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Reebok_Rebel wrote:
Its fair to assume you measure success in the same way? 

As a former PBWOTY, I would envisage you would measure your 'success'  in the terms of your company turnover, profit, your salary/dividend and the amount of possessions your corporate ability has provided you with? 

That's my company's success, it doesn't make me a better person than someone who doesn't own a small business.

For example I'd say a nurse, care worker or charity volunteer are all better people than me regardless of bank balance.

87Firearms laws. UK vs US.  - Page 5 Empty Re: Firearms laws. UK vs US. Thu Mar 26 2015, 15:52

scottjames30

scottjames30
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

My mate killed a wild dog with flees in Bosnia, that latched onto us.

True story.

88Firearms laws. UK vs US.  - Page 5 Empty Re: Firearms laws. UK vs US. Thu Mar 26 2015, 15:54

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

scottjames30 wrote:My mate killed a wild dog with flees

Never known flees to be used as a weapon.

89Firearms laws. UK vs US.  - Page 5 Empty Re: Firearms laws. UK vs US. Thu Mar 26 2015, 15:55

Reebok_Rebel

Reebok_Rebel
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Natasha Whittam wrote:
Reebok_Rebel wrote:
Its fair to assume you measure success in the same way? 

As a former PBWOTY, I would envisage you would measure your 'success'  in the terms of your company turnover, profit, your salary/dividend and the amount of possessions your corporate ability has provided you with? 

That's my company's success, it doesn't make me a better person than someone who doesn't own a small business.

For example I'd say a nurse, care worker or charity volunteer are all better people than me regardless of bank balance.

Beside the point... but I agree. 

I never said I was better than anybody, you assumed.

90Firearms laws. UK vs US.  - Page 5 Empty Re: Firearms laws. UK vs US. Thu Mar 26 2015, 16:27

Jake McHale

Jake McHale
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

Natasha Whittam wrote:
scottjames30 wrote:My mate killed a wild dog with flees

Never known flees to be used as a weapon.
Mr Burns has a vicious guard dog that spits Bees at you.

91Firearms laws. UK vs US.  - Page 5 Empty Re: Firearms laws. UK vs US. Thu Mar 26 2015, 16:32

Jake McHale

Jake McHale
Tony Kelly
Tony Kelly

You should never never let anyone or thing die thirsty.

92Firearms laws. UK vs US.  - Page 5 Empty Re: Firearms laws. UK vs US. Thu Mar 26 2015, 16:50

Reebok_Rebel wrote:
bwfc1874 wrote:No that's miles away from a good enough reason. 

I'll accept farmers use of guns to control pests, but you're not a farmer so what's the need? Find another hobby. 

Your mates wife was spot on that animals shouldn't have to worry about being hunted purely because a set of toffs want something to do on the weekend. 

On the wider issue of relaxing gun laws, what's the point? Farmers have enough leeway to control 'pests' so what's the need? 

The point is the exact same as the issue with 'dangerous' dogs. There are plenty who are responsible and know how to handle them properly, but looser laws makes it easier for the few who aren't to get their hands on them and that's where the trouble begins.
Like I said, I've grown up in the country, around farming and hunting. 

Both my dads brothers still run family cattle farms, in fact some of the milk you buy in your local supermarket may contain the same milk. My firearms are kept on one of them in a secure safe in the cellar. My dad is on the board of directors of both of them even though he is essentially a sleeping partner and no longer gets involved in the day to day running of them however, Myself and others, including my dad, do help out from time to time. I know enough about the industry to call myself a 'farmer' and im exposed to the industry as a whole, I just don't take an active role in things. One day, I will own the stake my dad has, so i suppose then you would consider me an actual 'farmer'. 

I don't really work in the industry as the money is not great, I chose not to. Farming is a strange industry - they make a reasonable living and live to a relatively high standard but even very successful farmers usually don't have things like mortgages to pay on their huge houses as they have been in the family for hundreds of years. I wanted to pursue something different so I went to do A-levels and then spent a few years in the service of the crown. 

My mothers mum and dad are also still farmers in Hampshire,  they run a ridiculously successful arable farm there and have more land than you can shake a stick at, some of what they produce again will end up on supermarket shelves in Britain and the EU.  

So, I don't know what else I can do to justify my ownership of firearms to you, but you have to admit, I have more reason than most?

So that essay essentially makes one point, you're not a farmer. 

Therefore you don't need to engage in pest control... so you can't justify a gun.

93Firearms laws. UK vs US.  - Page 5 Empty Re: Firearms laws. UK vs US. Thu Mar 26 2015, 16:56

Reebok_Rebel wrote:
Hipster_Nebula wrote:Is this thread about guns or are we posting our CV's? 

being brought up around guns is one thing, getting a cheap thrill seeing the life stuffed out of a defenceless living creature (vermin or not) is quite another. 
Just telling Nat some facts hipster. 

I've explained before, I get no thrill from watching anything suffer, I go to great lengths as well to prevent this happening. Truth be told, most don't even know its happened. shooting is the fastest and most humane way of killing ANY animal - fact. 

In fact, Id go as far to say the drugs that vets use to put down animals, causes them more suffering than just shooting them, in fact ive discussed this with a vet once and he agreed, that is why racehorses are shot instead of injected still to this day - the bigger the animal, the more resilience to the drugs it has. Shooting is instant and painless. 

It may actually surprise you that I was always against foxhunting, not shooting them, but actual foxhunting - you know, the one where they chase a fox across fields on horses with beagles and then watch the dogs rip the fox apart. Many farmers and landowners are too. I dont agree with any animal, pest or not - suffering a long and painful death, i understand its not the fox's fault its a fox.

You know what's more humane than shooting a fox? Not shooting it.

94Firearms laws. UK vs US.  - Page 5 Empty Re: Firearms laws. UK vs US. Thu Mar 26 2015, 17:04

Reebok_Rebel

Reebok_Rebel
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

bwfc1874 wrote:
Reebok_Rebel wrote:
bwfc1874 wrote:No that's miles away from a good enough reason. 

I'll accept farmers use of guns to control pests, but you're not a farmer so what's the need? Find another hobby. 

Your mates wife was spot on that animals shouldn't have to worry about being hunted purely because a set of toffs want something to do on the weekend. 

On the wider issue of relaxing gun laws, what's the point? Farmers have enough leeway to control 'pests' so what's the need? 

The point is the exact same as the issue with 'dangerous' dogs. There are plenty who are responsible and know how to handle them properly, but looser laws makes it easier for the few who aren't to get their hands on them and that's where the trouble begins.
Like I said, I've grown up in the country, around farming and hunting. 

Both my dads brothers still run family cattle farms, in fact some of the milk you buy in your local supermarket may contain the same milk. My firearms are kept on one of them in a secure safe in the cellar. My dad is on the board of directors of both of them even though he is essentially a sleeping partner and no longer gets involved in the day to day running of them however, Myself and others, including my dad, do help out from time to time. I know enough about the industry to call myself a 'farmer' and im exposed to the industry as a whole, I just don't take an active role in things. One day, I will own the stake my dad has, so i suppose then you would consider me an actual 'farmer'. 

I don't really work in the industry as the money is not great, I chose not to. Farming is a strange industry - they make a reasonable living and live to a relatively high standard but even very successful farmers usually don't have things like mortgages to pay on their huge houses as they have been in the family for hundreds of years. I wanted to pursue something different so I went to do A-levels and then spent a few years in the service of the crown. 

My mothers mum and dad are also still farmers in Hampshire,  they run a ridiculously successful arable farm there and have more land than you can shake a stick at, some of what they produce again will end up on supermarket shelves in Britain and the EU.  

So, I don't know what else I can do to justify my ownership of firearms to you, but you have to admit, I have more reason than most?

So that essay essentially makes one point, you're not a farmer. 

Therefore you don't need to engage in pest control... so you can't justify a gun.
Yes I can, and I do. 

You are allowed under the law in the UK to own firearms on the condition you have a valid reason for owning them, store them properly and have no history of mental illness.  

My valid reason for owning them is that I am a member of the target division for small caliber rifles at a club, I am allowed to take my guns out as I have proven that I have permission to shoot for pest control reasons, under the terms of the general licence issued by the UK government. 

You may hate guns and that is your right, but you cant be pedantic and say 'only if your a bona-fide farmer you can have a gun'. 

Under UK law (that I assume you take as letter as the law-abiding person you appear to be) I am allowed to own and use firearms.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/wild-birds-licence-to-take-or-kill-to-prevent-damage-or-disease

https://www.gov.uk/hunting/what-you-can-hunt-and-when

Last edited by Reebok_Rebel on Thu Mar 26 2015, 17:10; edited 1 time in total

95Firearms laws. UK vs US.  - Page 5 Empty Re: Firearms laws. UK vs US. Thu Mar 26 2015, 17:06

Do they know about your stockpile of RPG's, claymores, semi auto AR-15's and that tank you've got stashed in Das Bunker?

96Firearms laws. UK vs US.  - Page 5 Empty Re: Firearms laws. UK vs US. Thu Mar 26 2015, 17:12

Reebok_Rebel

Reebok_Rebel
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

bwfc1874 wrote:
Reebok_Rebel wrote:

being brought up around guns is one thing, getting a cheap thrill seeing the life stuffed out of a defenceless living creature (vermin or not) is quite another. 

I've explained before, I get no thrill from watching anything suffer, I go to great lengths as well to prevent this happening. Truth be told, most don't even know its happened. shooting is the fastest and most humane way of killing ANY animal - fact. 

In fact, Id go as far to say the drugs that vets use to put down animals, causes them more suffering than just shooting them, in fact ive discussed this with a vet once and he agreed, that is why racehorses are shot instead of injected still to this day - the bigger the animal, the more resilience to the drugs it has. Shooting is instant and painless. 

It may actually surprise you that I was always against foxhunting, not shooting them, but actual foxhunting - you know, the one where they chase a fox across fields on horses with beagles and then watch the dogs rip the fox apart. Many farmers and landowners are too. I dont agree with any animal, pest or not - suffering a long and painful death, i understand its not the fox's fault its a fox.

Are you a member of Greenpeace or vote Green? 

Or worse, a member of PETA? 

If so, with all due respect, your opinion does not count one jot.

97Firearms laws. UK vs US.  - Page 5 Empty Re: Firearms laws. UK vs US. Thu Mar 26 2015, 17:15

I don't hate guns, but I can't stand the absolute morons from the NRA who argue gun control needs to be relaxed and by some of your comments I see a similar state of mind and it's ridiculous - ie the argument if ISIS invaded you could protect your family. You're insane if you think that scenario is even a remote possibility. You mock the your friends wife but when it comes to civilised thought the overwhelming majority of people agree with her. 

I can just about stomach people shooting for 'vermin' control (although the fact you class foxes as such vermin shows you're pretty clueless as to what that is), but you enjoy killing animals for sport which I find slightly worrying as to your state of mind and completely pathetic to be honest. What does it achieve to kill something that can't fight back? 

It's akin to having a penalty shootout against your baby son.

98Firearms laws. UK vs US.  - Page 5 Empty Re: Firearms laws. UK vs US. Thu Mar 26 2015, 17:15

Reebok_Rebel wrote:
bwfc1874 wrote:
Reebok_Rebel wrote:

Are you a member of Greenpeace or vote Green? 

Or worse, a member of PETA? 

If so, with all due respect, your opinion does not count one jot.

Why is being a member of peta worse.

You know what i was joking before about the twat comment

But not now

That is a very twattish thing to say

99Firearms laws. UK vs US.  - Page 5 Empty Re: Firearms laws. UK vs US. Thu Mar 26 2015, 17:16

Reebok_Rebel

Reebok_Rebel
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

Breadman wrote:Do they know about your stockpile of RPG's, claymores, semi auto AR-15's and that tank you've got stashed in Das Bunker?
They dont no... 

I don't have any AR15's but i have fired one. 

As a side note, The yanks have some fantastic hardware, but pound for pound, the British LS85/SA80 is an all round better weapon in my opinion. 

I'm sure Scott will not agree though as hes ex-army and would have spend a lot more time in the field with these things than me.

100Firearms laws. UK vs US.  - Page 5 Empty Re: Firearms laws. UK vs US. Thu Mar 26 2015, 17:18

Reebok_Rebel

Reebok_Rebel
Frank Worthington
Frank Worthington

bwfc1874 wrote:I don't hate guns, but I can't stand the absolute morons from the NRA who argue gun control needs to be relaxed and by some of your comments I see a similar state of mind and it's ridiculous - ie the argument if ISIS invaded you could protect your family. You're insane if you think that scenario is even a remote possibility. You mock the your friends wife but when it comes to civilised thought the overwhelming majority of people agree with her. 

I can just about stomach people shooting for 'vermin' control (although the fact you class foxes as such vermin shows you're pretty clueless as to what that is), but you enjoy killing animals for sport which I find slightly worrying as to your state of mind and completely pathetic to be honest. What does it achieve to kill something that can't fight back? 

It's akin to having a penalty shootout against your baby son.
Where did I class fox as vermin? They essentially are but i never actually stated they were, they are not on the general licence and thus are more of a 'pest' than vermin. 

I also stated I don't kill anything simply for Sport.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 7]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum