Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Domestic help.

+9
Spider Legs
Mr Magoo
MartinBWFC
BoltonTillIDie
Natasha Whittam
karlypants
Bwfc1958
Bollotom2014
boltonbonce
13 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

1Domestic help. Empty Domestic help. Sun May 03 2015, 16:14

I've just been chatting on the phone with a good mate of mine, who I've known for nearly thirty years.

We grew up together in Bolton and he's a normal working class bloke like the rest of us.

But during the conversation it casually cropped up that him and his wife have got a cleaner.

I thought he was kidding at first but he was deadly serious.

They employ a woman to come in three days a week to spruce the place up, do the ironing and change the bedding and stuff like that.

I could sort of get it if they both worked full time but his Mrs is one of those who stopped working when the kids arrived and never went back after they'd grown up.

It turns out she's far too busy going to the gym and getting her nails done to start hoovering and washing pots.

And so to my question, would you ever employ domestic help or would you find it all a bit bourgeois and prefer to wash your own dirty undies?

2Domestic help. Empty Re: Domestic help. Sun May 03 2015, 16:20

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

If I had an enormous house,or lived at Whittam Towers,perhaps.
Does he say things like "we have a little woman who comes in a couple of times a week. She's a treasure"?

3Domestic help. Empty Re: Domestic help. Sun May 03 2015, 16:20

Bollotom2014

Bollotom2014
Andy Walker
Andy Walker

It's a bit Mrs Bucket (Bouquet). Course it depends how much they pay her, is it tax NHI declared, is there a contract and has she been inducted into the elf n safety of chemically things? And though she's in three days a week, could be total 3 hours and if it's a standard house regularly cleaned then the cleaner may not be overworked. They, at least she, sound like proper chavs.

4Domestic help. Empty Re: Domestic help. Sun May 03 2015, 16:23

Bollotom2014 wrote:It's a bit Mrs Bucket (Bouquet). Course it depends how much they pay her, is it tax NHI declared, is there a contract and has she been inducted into the elf n safety of chemically things? And though she's in three days a week, could be total 3 hours and if it's a standard house regularly cleaned then the cleaner may not be overworked. They, at least she, sound like proper chavs.

We didn't go into that deeply, if I'm honest so I'll ring him back in a bit and ask him to send me his COSHH Assessments and a copy of his HACCP documentation.

5Domestic help. Empty Re: Domestic help. Sun May 03 2015, 16:26

boltonbonce wrote:If I had an enormous house,or lived at Whittam Towers,perhaps.
Does he say things like "we have a little woman who comes in a couple of times a week. She's a treasure"?

He isn't quite that bad but he has changed.

Whenever he gets a bit too up his own fundament like the time they bought a holiday cottage in Abersoch, I just remind him about the time he found a half eaten box of KFC one night on the way home from the pub and he ate it because he was too skint to buy any food.

6Domestic help. Empty Re: Domestic help. Sun May 03 2015, 16:28

Bwfc1958

Bwfc1958
Tinned Toms - You know it makes sense!

Breadman wrote:
Bollotom2014 wrote:It's a bit Mrs Bucket (Bouquet). Course it depends how much they pay her, is it tax NHI declared, is there a contract and has she been inducted into the elf n safety of chemically things? And though she's in three days a week, could be total 3 hours and if it's a standard house regularly cleaned then the cleaner may not be overworked. They, at least she, sound like proper chavs.

We didn't go into that deeply, if I'm honest so I'll ring him back in a bit and ask him to send me his COSHH Assessments and a copy of his HACCP documentation.
Very Happy

7Domestic help. Empty Re: Domestic help. Sun May 03 2015, 16:29

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

My Mum started her working life as a maid to a Jewish family in Manchester,and loved the job.
In the 70's she was a cleaner at the Stocks Hotel in walkden,and loved that too.
Don't think there's much wrong with taking on domestic help if you can afford it,pay them a decent wage,and treat them properly.
Just doesn't set well with me for an average family though.

8Domestic help. Empty Re: Domestic help. Sun May 03 2015, 16:33

boltonbonce wrote:My Mum started her working life as a maid to a Jewish family in Manchester,and loved the job.
In the 70's she was a cleaner at the Stocks Hotel in walkden,and loved that too.
Don't think there's much wrong with taking on domestic help if you can afford it,pay them a decent wage,and treat them properly.
Just doesn't set well with me for an average family though.

That's where I am with it.

My Mum started work as a cleaner at our local doctors when I was about 10 so that they could buy me a bike from MK Cycles on Tonge Moor Rd by paying into their Christmas club.

I loved that bike.

It was a bright orange Falcon 21" racing bike with ten gears.

Thanks Mum.

9Domestic help. Empty Re: Domestic help. Sun May 03 2015, 16:40

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Always thought good things appeared by magic as a kid.
It was only as I got older that I realised the sacrifices that were made to get me that bike/football/whatever.

Thanks Mum indeed. Very Happy

10Domestic help. Empty Re: Domestic help. Sun May 03 2015, 16:45

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

She sounds like a right lazy bitch!

11Domestic help. Empty Re: Domestic help. Sun May 03 2015, 16:48

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

You can't talk about my Mum like that. Shocked
She's 86 you know.

12Domestic help. Empty Re: Domestic help. Sun May 03 2015, 16:51

karlypants wrote:She sounds like a right lazy bitch!

They met when we were all about twenty and she was living on Oldham's Estate with her parents who were both living on long-term disability living allowance and he was on course for getting a double first in Law at Manchester University.

She was up the tub after about a month.

Draw your own conclusions.......

13Domestic help. Empty Re: Domestic help. Sun May 03 2015, 17:00

Natasha Whittam

Natasha Whittam
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Domestic help is ace. Before immigration got involved I had a maid, a butler and a gardener.

There's nothing like stepping into a bath run by someone else. Especially if they put bubble bath in.

14Domestic help. Empty Re: Domestic help. Sun May 03 2015, 17:06

Natasha Whittam wrote:Domestic help is ace. Before immigration got involved I had a maid, a butler and a gardener.

There's nothing like stepping into a bath run by someone else. Especially if they put bubble bath in.

Want me to come run you a bath?

It will be so bubbly you wont even notice me in there

15Domestic help. Empty Re: Domestic help. Sun May 03 2015, 17:09

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Breadman wrote:

They met when we were all about twenty and she was living on Oldham's Estate with her parents who were both living on long-term disability living allowance and he was on course for getting a double first in Law at Manchester University.

Not sure how someone doing a law degree meets someone like that? Shocked

There's no snobbery about what I'm saying BTW! Very Happy

16Domestic help. Empty Re: Domestic help. Sun May 03 2015, 17:15

BoltonTillIDie

BoltonTillIDie
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

She was with Breadman.

17Domestic help. Empty Re: Domestic help. Sun May 03 2015, 17:19

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

BoltonTillIDie wrote:She was with Breadman.
Razz

18Domestic help. Empty Re: Domestic help. Sun May 03 2015, 17:36

MartinBWFC

MartinBWFC
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Natasha Whittam wrote:Domestic help is ace. Before immigration got involved I had a maid, a butler and a gardener.

I'll be your gardener for 30K per annum, I mean how hard can it be to look after window box?

19Domestic help. Empty Re: Domestic help. Sun May 03 2015, 17:43

I have someone that comes and cuts my grass every week. 

I know someone who has a cleaner but his Mrs always has a clean up before the cleaner arrives.

20Domestic help. Empty Re: Domestic help. Sun May 03 2015, 18:31

karlypants wrote:
Breadman wrote:

Not sure how someone doing a law degree meets someone like that? Shocked

There's no snobbery about what I'm saying BTW! Very Happy

We were in the Crown & Cushion one night and my mate disappeared off to have a wee and didn't come back for an hour.

He met her on the way back from the khazi.

Yes, it was that romantic.

And law degrees aren't just for posh people.

My mate's been a partner in a law firm in Manchester for the last 15 years and he still rolls his own fags on the fire escape out the back of the office.  Very Happy

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum