Bolton Wanderers Football Club Fan Forum for all BWFC Supporters.

You are not connected. Please login or register

All kitted out - 6 of the best and worst Bolton Wanderers kit designs down the years

5 posters

Reply to topic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

karlypants

karlypants
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

While some Wanderers fans got a little hot under the collar about the club’s new home shirt – the majority have given it the thumbs-up before it goes on sale this weekend.

Macron Sports have released the latest design, which goes on sale at Bolton Central at 9am on Saturday, to a generally positive reception from supporters.

Predominantly white and carrying the red logo of new sponsors ROK Mobile, the shirt retains a navy trim with navy shorts and socks to match.

The most discussed aspect of the design, however, is the red collar, which also incorporates a Lancashire rose.

Social media buzzed yesterday with the relative pros and cons of the new detail.

“Takes me back to the HB Electronics and Normid era. Simple, stylish. I like it. It's also just a kit at the end of the day!” wrote @SoulProvider78.

“Love it. Basic and simple. Nothing too fancy. Like the red on collar. Original colours and not OTT,” wrote @armitage93 .

“Not bad at all! Sponsorship looks great and the necks been done to match it. Sleeve trim is good too,” added @cemck1.

On the flip side, some potential buyers were a little put off by the collar.

“It’s OK except for that bit of red on one shoulder. Not sure what that's about!” said @Sophthecatsmum.

“It looks like the shirts developed conjunctivitis,” wrote @walshyt100.

But how does the design compare to some of the best and worst kits worn by the club down the decades?

The style gurus at The Bolton News have put their heads together to list some of the kits that were pleasing on the eye, and those that disappeared quickly to the back of the cupboard.

THE BEST KITS...

1. 1988-90 home shirt: Summed up the latter days of Burnden Park with the Normid logo underlined umpteen times on the chest, but a hark back to simpler times.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

2. 1990-93 home shirt: As worn through the White Hot era, this Reebok design was simplicity itself and carried some famous names on the back to boot.

3. 2006-07 away shirt: Dark blue and silver, epitomising the European adventures and Sam Allardyce’s league of nations.

AND THE WORST...

1. 1997/98 away shirt: Purple monstrosity which also neglected the word ‘Reebok’ and just carried the logo in a giant oval.

2. 2008/09 home and away shirts: Referred to – even by the players of the day – as the “sports bra kit” and especially onerous in the mustard away version.

3. 2009/10 home shirt: Dubbed “the barcode kit” by supporters and not helped by the fact it carried new sponsors 188Bet after years of Reebok glory.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

I'm old enough to remember the days when we didn't have a sponsor's name on the shirt, just the badge and the name of the company that made the kit. 

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Like this one

I liked the old red away shirts a lot more than any of the blue/yellow/black/ purple monstrosities that have followed. That said I did buy the Blesma shirt, good cause and all that but I've never actually worn it to a game.

But back when I was a whippersnapping teenager I was seen in public in this.

Norpig

Norpig
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

i have the original pale blue 3rd kit of the Normid kit, i bought it on ebay a few years ago and is my pride and joy.

Last edited by Norpig on Fri Jun 26 2015, 09:27; edited 1 time in total

the one gary cahill is wearing is the one i had with shittu on the back

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

Norpig wrote:i have the original pale blue 3rd kit of the Normid kit, i bought it on ebay a few years ago and is my pride and joy.
Good for you Norpig. I've still got my white one but it's been a long time since I wore it. It fit me a lot more hair and lot less waist ago.  Very Happy

boltonbonce

boltonbonce
Nat Lofthouse
Nat Lofthouse

Anyone remember our first sponsored shirt sporting 'Knight Security'?

Keegan

Keegan
Admin

Don't dis the sports bra kits! I have the home and away and I wear them with pride. Yes, I am a Bolton Nut. Smile

https://forum.boltonnuts.co.uk

Keegan wrote:Don't dis the sports bra kits! I have the home and away and I wear them with pride. Yes, I am a Bolton Nut. Smile

I had both. But the mustard one was the worst kit ever i think. Thats why i got an ironic name on the back

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

boltonbonce wrote:Anyone remember our first sponsored shirt sporting 'Knight Security'?
I remember it, I had one but lost it ages and ages ago. Wish I hadn't; might be worth a few quid on e-bay now. Sad

luckyPeterpiper

luckyPeterpiper
Ivan Campo
Ivan Campo

y2johnny wrote:
Keegan wrote:Don't dis the sports bra kits! I have the home and away and I wear them with pride. Yes, I am a Bolton Nut. Smile

I had both.  But the mustard one was the worst kit ever i think.  Thats why i got an ironic name on the back
I didn't buy any of them, not because I didn't like them (although I wasn't over keen) but because at that time I was skint and barely able to afford my season ticket let alone all the merchandise. I wore the old home shirt instead.

Keegan

Keegan
Admin

I always thought the barcode home and away kits were uglier than the sports bra kits. The away was red and blue in the same style?

Keegan

Keegan
Admin

I always thought the barcode home and away kits were uglier than the sports bra kits. The away was red and blue in the same style?

Keegan wrote:I always thought the barcode home and away kits were uglier than the sports bra kits. The away was red and blue in the same style?

Hearts you the first time Very Happy

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Reply to topic

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum